Author Topic: The Brexodus  (Read 354131 times)

john m

Re: The Brexodus
« Reply #915 on: August 30, 2019, 08:20:27 am »
Ireland's supermarket shelves could start to run bare within two days of a hard Brexit, the head of the Freight Transport Association of Ireland warned yesterday.

General manager Aidan Flynn appealed for haulage firms to take immediate steps to improve supply chains as the UK hurtles towards crashing out of the EU with no deal.

“Ireland’s retail shops have no space to stockpile anything,” he told the Irish Independent.

“They must be fed by distribution centres every day – and the UK is the major distribution hub for Ireland.

“Stores here have no space to stockpile anything, not even two days of products. They are seriously constrained.

“Everything will take days longer. And in the event of a no deal, there’s going to be absolute chaos for months.”

Mr Flynn said retailers currently order goods from UK warehouses and expect the products to arrive by Irish Sea ferry and truck within 24 hours. But a no-deal Brexit would make such speed legally and logistically impossible.

Mr Flynn said the era of seamless next-day imports under EU rules had allowed stores over the past decade to convert underused storage space to new retail facilities such as bakery counters.

A hard Brexit, he said, would raise the question of how Ireland could bake bread at all.

"We don't mill most of our flour in Ireland. It just shows how reliant we are on the UK for our food," he said. While the answer in part would be stockpiling, Mr Flynn said warehousing was scarce.

"Cold storage and chilled warehousing is in particularly short supply," he said. "There certainly isn't enough available to stockpile levels we would need to cope."

Rental costs for storage had climbed at least 15pc in the past year. "The price of existing warehouse space will rocket up and that ultimately will pass to the consumer.

"The industry now is reliant on too few distribution centres," he said, suggesting supermarket giants with huge hubs remain vulnerable to disjointed planning among their thousands of subcontractors.

Several supermarkets declined to comment. But German retailer Lidl told the Irish Independent it is holding regular Brexit workshops with suppliers, beefing up its local supply contracts to minimise dependence on UK producers and building a 54,000 sq m distribution centre in Newbridge, Co Kildare, due to open in November.

Lidl spokeswoman Claire Moran said Irish-made goods already represented more than half of Lidl's offering. "While some of our produce would currently come through the UK land bridge, we have put alternative logistical arrangements in place to maintain the supply of these goods. We therefore do not anticipate any shortages," she said.

Fourth-fifths of Ireland's truckers - around 150,000 drivers - use the UK as a "land bridge", cutting by half the time it takes by ferry.

Mr Flynn said Ireland needed to work with EU colleagues to forge new direct services linking Dublin, Cork and Rosslare with the French ports of Le Havre and Calais, Zeebrugge in Belgium and Rotterdam in the Netherlands.

Journeys by ferry from Rotterdam or Zeebrugge would take 40 hours. "You cannot send a driver on a ferry of that duration," he said. "It's only an option for unaccompanied containers. You'd be lengthening the supply chain and challenging hauliers' jobs."

FTA Ireland estimates Brexit preparation has helped to drive up haulage firms' costs by 6.5pc in the past year.

"Time is money," Mr Flynn said. "The reality of Brexit, with all these new processes and requirements, is it is going to take massive time to get people up to speed and become efficient again."

The Liffey Lip

« Reply #916 on: August 30, 2019, 08:28:51 am »
Reality of the situation will dawn on Mick when it's all too late. Watch the farmers at the mo...........they're getting info the ordinary 5 8" is not. The Chinese delegation visiting the meat processing plants aren't interested in Fillet, Sirloin or Ribeye...

If Brexit occurs, and I'm unsure as to how it can considering the Blair stroke with the constitution...if it does, then we're going to have to withdraw post-haste. Meanwhile, Harris is threatening parents who want a debate on the safety of vaccinations with "domestic terrorist" bullshit.....we live in a dangerous little corner here at the mo.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 08:31:24 am by The Liffey Lip »

john m

« Reply #917 on: August 30, 2019, 08:58:30 am »
@Lip the Brexit debate on this forum is probably the best on the web .Dalymount puts forward his point while others put forward theres ,Unlike our fucking waster led government who are actually on holiday at the moment and seem more concerned about if some Girl on a swing should get another shot at sticking her snout in the through of Plenty on Kildare Street .What Our lot dont get about Brexit is it is Identity Politics as championed by Dalymount The Brits just want to be British not Eurobrits and are willing to fight for it .Brexit is just modern identity Warfare ,we see it in Hong Kong,America .Its already sorted in Japan,China ,Russia .India took back control of Kashmere all about identity in a multicultural world .Italy were subdued during the week but for how long ?We are in Dangerous times Lip and Vacines,Water tax ,property tax ID cards open borders .Single currencies all pointing twords a federal State of Europe lead from the center .The Euro federalists want the Brits out but they also want them crushed .Trumps America First and Chinas soi big we can swallow you approach has pushed Federal Europe a step closer .I notice now they are pushing for a Measles vacsine as well .Article in todays paper says they knew the Swine Flu Vaxine was corrupted before Harney inoculated us all .

The Liffey Lip

« Reply #918 on: August 30, 2019, 09:03:03 am »
A simple debate can't harm anyone...except those who have much to lose?

john m

« Reply #919 on: August 30, 2019, 09:03:32 am »
The Government apparently proceeded with the roll-out of a €120m swine flu vaccine in 2009 despite being notified of suspected adverse reactions in Sweden.

This is according to allegations made in a landmark case to open before the High Court on October 8.

A young woman, Aoife Bennett, will seek damages from the State and drug giant GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) over contracting the debilitating sleep illness narcolepsy after receiving the swine flu vaccine Pandemrix. A further 80 cases are pending.

The vaccine was rushed into service over fears in 2009 of a swine flu pandemic.

It had not fully completed clinical trials and, to get it into service, the Government agreed to indemnify GSK.

The national immunisation programme began on November 19, 2009.

The Liffey Lip

« Reply #920 on: August 30, 2019, 09:11:03 am »
Watch the next stroke............suspension of all benefits if kid not vaccinated........and as in California.......no school places if unvaccinated.

john m

« Reply #921 on: August 30, 2019, 09:17:12 am »
Watch the next stroke............suspension of all benefits if kid not vaccinated........and as in California.......no school places if unvaccinated.

Probably need to get your passport stamped saying what Vacs you have .We might escape it but the younger generation will be chip and pinned .Might be with your Iris or even a chip at birth stick it in side you before they tie the Knot .Navel recognition chip .The More im watching Brexit unfold the more im beginning to believe anything is impossible or possible depending on the predestined result .

The Liffey Lip

« Reply #922 on: August 30, 2019, 09:18:48 am »
Orwell didn't lick it off the stones..........he was a student of Huxley's in Eton...

john m

« Reply #923 on: August 30, 2019, 09:26:23 am »
See Brit xpats in Europe now concerned about their pensions and medical cover after Brexit .I was in Tenerife last year a lot of them voted leave what did they expect .I still dont think Irish people realise the impact of Brexit if or when it happens .

The Liffey Lip

« Reply #924 on: August 30, 2019, 09:31:22 am »
The older guys do..they saw it all before but can't admit it for fear of being branded a lunatic....anyone challenging the narrative is deemed a bigot of some sort...bottom line is the cute hoor, Dev, knew we had to maintain some allegiance to the Brits if we were ever to continue at all as a nation. Leo and Dizzee Pascal see Karl Marx's federal europe as the solution to all ills......

dalymount

« Reply #925 on: August 30, 2019, 11:53:58 am »
Look on the brightthere is a lot in brexit for me , maybe not for you though. Benefits for me are maybe all these fukkin nigg. ers , Muslims Indians Chinese, etc etc will fukk off back to where they came from. Our national Identity will be restored to a large extent, the sovereignty of our country will be returned Ebbs Kelly Kearns etc etc will be out of business because they will have no drivers . All I can see is benefits from brexit. And best of all I won't have to listen to the fukkin bleeding hearts brigade pleeding the case for migrants

Offline stonethecrows

« Reply #926 on: August 30, 2019, 12:01:56 pm »
Look on the brightthere is a lot in brexit for me , maybe not for you though. Benefits for me are maybe all these fukkin nigg. ers , Muslims Indians Chinese, etc etc will fukk off back to where they came from. Our national Identity will be restored to a large extent, the sovereignty of our country will be returned Ebbs Kelly Kearns etc etc will be out of business because they will have no drivers . All I can see is benefits from brexit. And best of all I won't have to listen to the fukkin bleeding hearts brigade pleeding the case for migrants
Sooner the better so as we can close this topic
He who fears he will suffer, already suffers because he fears.

john m

« Reply #927 on: August 30, 2019, 12:03:05 pm »
You couldnr be more wrong .Ireland because of old treaties between Britain and Ireland will become the gateway to gaining entry into the UK by means of an Irish passport .Expect up to a million more colonials moving to Ireland to get Irish passports so they can live in the UK ..The solution to Brexit is we go with them but get Britain to pay off most of our National debt .That way we can survive the exodus of FDIs and in time we benifit from whatever deal Britain do to grow our economy .Most migrant workers will leave as the jobs go freeing up hospitals,houses ,schools for those that remain .We are probably insolvent any way so clearing off the national debt gives us a second chance at getting it right .

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #928 on: August 30, 2019, 12:06:38 pm »
Why on earth would they leave Daly?Some have been in the Uk since they were born.Have you noticed the amount of well-spoken foreign looking folks that are in politics in the UK.Every day there's someone of Indian an Pakistani origin who sound like one of the royal family talking about the brexit shite.Even the presenters have brown skin on every channel.They're as English as the Queen.

The Liffey Lip

« Reply #929 on: August 30, 2019, 12:11:06 pm »

Dalyer, you're falling into traps that could walk you into it.........thousands of people from the Congo ended up in San Antonio, Texas recently....they could have only have crossed from the Rio Grande.....the only thing to ask is Who Benefits from all this....

Show Unread Posts