Author Topic: Who owns the internet?  (Read 10394 times)

Offline Bob Shillin

Who owns the internet?
« on: March 20, 2019, 06:33:57 pm »
 Can internet giants effecively rule the world? Where is the ultimate authority, or controller of the internet. Can it ever be shut down, or even secions of it? See That Google have just been fined €1.5 billion, the third fine for them in 2 years. Are these financial penalties, effectively, the only sanctions available against internet giants? Could they ever be shut down, and by what authority? If their search engine was to be shut down: is that even possible, can that leave email open etc?
"So look into the mirror, do you recognise someone, is it who you always thought you would become, when you were young?"

Offline Vikkiz

Re: Who owns the internet?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 10:01:59 pm »
To answer your last question, I believe so. I be
I eve they are all separate entities within the Google brand, meaning Google is the main company name but inside it there is a R&D Dept, a Gmail division, google+(soon to be switched off), YouTube etc etc etc.

The Liffey Lip

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 07:13:10 am »
Googles fine equates to 1.3% of turnover..........they're taking the piss.

Offline Bob Shillin

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 08:20:29 am »
To answer your last question, I believe so. I be
I eve they are all separate entities within the Google brand, meaning Google is the main company name but inside it there is a R&D Dept, a Gmail division, google+(soon to be switched off), YouTube etc etc etc.
What if they don't want anything switched off, who has the power to switch them off?
"So look into the mirror, do you recognise someone, is it who you always thought you would become, when you were young?"

The Liffey Lip

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 09:00:51 am »
He'll never reveal himself...the hidden hand........ rofl

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 10:44:31 am »
There is no effective global authority to police the internet. The dark web manages to circumvent what controls are in place. National Governments can, to some extent, block content i.e. Cuba, China, etc and seize control of domain names e.g. US Govt has seized some gambling sites in the past. Beyond that police forces, including Interpol, can pursue content providers e.g. by physically seizing equipment containing illicit material.

The Liffey Lip

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 10:53:40 am »
Yanks(Israel by proxy) invented it, just as they did 5G which was weapons -grade infiltration for the battlefield.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 11:04:37 am »
Which 5G, the 5G band used by modern modems or the mobile internet protocol?

The Liffey Lip

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 11:07:36 am »
The one which needs trees to be torn down as they absorb the signal....whichever of them that is...used in desert areas by the Chosen People for yonks..

« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 11:13:52 am by The Liffey Lip »

The Liffey Lip

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2019, 11:14:23 am »
Amended Youtube entry...wrong one earlier...........US General.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2019, 11:18:58 am »
That'd be the mobile signal.

The Liffey Lip

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2019, 11:21:42 am »
Right Ted.

Fellow has taken Gateshead council to task over its roll-out............ex military chap.....

« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 11:25:26 am by The Liffey Lip »

Offline watty

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2019, 12:50:23 pm »
ICANN is probably the nearest thing that could be described as running the internet as you know it.  It used to be dominated by the Americans but they kinda loosened their control over it a few years back. 

The internet is supposed to be able to survive a nuclear war and route the data/information around damaged or destroyed parts of the internet.  You can shut down or control parts of the internet but, in theory, you can't shut the whole thing down.

Offline Vikkiz

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2019, 09:45:44 pm »
Most ISPs can restrict what you can and can’t see. Your IP Address can restrict what sites you can get to.

I don’t know if major corporations use their own ISPs or do they have to use ones already in place in the country that they are operating in

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2019, 01:50:30 pm »
Depends what you mean by ISP. Once you have an internet connection you can connect any machine as a server.

Show Unread Posts