Author Topic: Summoned to the Depot  (Read 74120 times)

john m

Re: Summoned to the Depot
« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2017, 03:00:03 pm »
Discounts - Drivers who engage with the depot, providing feedback, are told they aren’t allowed charge the booking fee as per fare card but the T&Cs communicated drivers in general suggest drivers are allowed charge full fare in accordance with local tariffs.

I know how pedantic the Depot can be about input errors .Should it not read (T&Cs communicated   TO drivers )

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2017, 03:01:11 pm »
Yeah, it's just scribbled down atm, I'll catch the typos before I send it.

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2017, 03:05:30 pm »
When a job is accepted,it momentarily hovers over the pick up point then zooms back to where the driver is.....i know where i am,it's where the passenger is that is required....and there might not be a complete address provided so i need to hit the Navigate icon that brings me to Google maps so i can see precisely where the job is....not very user friendly as a driver.

john m

« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2017, 03:13:23 pm »
Yeah, it's just scribbled down atm, I'll catch the typos before I send it.

I wouldnt want you to be humiliated after you taking the time to correspond with the Dungeon .I can visualize it now You getting a tap on the shoulder on the way out with your new biro and 8/12ts out of date diary and possibly some stickers and informed in future please dont make gramatical errors be more careful in future like a good man .

Offline markmiwurdz

« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2017, 03:37:54 pm »
Make sure you don't get this treatment in the Dungeon.

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2017, 03:41:24 pm »
On Account/Card jobs....where a tip is given,put that amount and the metered fare amount on the jobs screen.....without having to click into the job to see if a tip is given,

I can't always remember the next day when i'm calculating my earnings plus commission paid....and i don't want to be wasting my time clicking into every Account/Card job that i've completed.

john m

« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2017, 04:24:22 pm »
They have another issue and it is the harder one to overcome and that is perception or Corporate Image .The one thing that MOST if not ALL taxi drivers have complained about is GOLDEN BOYS where their dispatcher was passing the good jobs out to the preferred lads .I always suspected that HailO were using logarithms to feed their preferred drivers .I drank with two lads who regulary got airport jobs from Clondalkin/Lucan  I never got any .I had the app on when my neighbor requested a taxi to the airport I was sitting in their house but did not get the offer even though we were informed the work went to the nearest vehicle as time went by Hailo introduced Priority drivers and now Mytaxi has come clean and said they operate a system that rewards certain drivers .This is counter intuitive if drivers accept the leftovers they only promote the app that favours the Ambassadors if they themselves advance to ambassador status they then have to compete with other Ambassadors so the harder you try to become an ambassador the more Ambassadors there are the less incentive to be an ambassador .The original nearest vehicle got the job was both fairer and environmentally more responsible .

What set out to be a democratic taxi app has morphed into an elitist app that serves certain drivers while antagonizing others a prime example of the lack of corporate integrity was the recent level up promotion where reliable drivers who had reached a grade saw those who had not put in the same efford as them receiving  greater reward for less effort .

Im sure the Mytaxi staff with their marketing certificates from DCU or DTI  think this is the way to get /force drivers to work by making sure they hit the grade on a 3 week cycle but they dont really understand the mentality that allows a driver pick up 4 junkies that want to go the flats at 4 in the morning to score or help some old Dear carry her messages up the garden path is basically a free spirit nonconformist and treating them with a bit more respect and fairness would yield greater results for all both drivers and app providers .

Time they done a Michael O Leary and concentrated on their image especially amongst drivers .If you read FB pages or Fora you very seldom hear drivers complain about the fares its always about the app itself the unfairness of job allocation or the lines of communication with the Dungeon .

Most of their problems are down to poor management SO If you get to see anybody of any consequence when you meet them .Ask if they will develop and issue a mission statement for drivers that they are willing to stand over ,from their short term  objectives to their long term  objectives and how they will employ drivers in these objectives and how fares will be allocated.There has been to much moving of Goalposts for any driver to seriously consider making any long term commitment to this business model .

Now that UBER is under new management I can see them relaunch their app in Ireland and if they simply offer nearest vehicle not even PUC just nearest and 2 or 3 minutes free waiting Mytaxi will see an exodus of drivers and the Novelty value of the new boy UBER will see them under severe pressure to retain both drivers and passengers .

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2017, 05:40:07 pm »
When a job is accepted,it momentarily hovers over the pick up point then zooms back to where the driver is.....i know where i am,it's where the passenger is that is required....and there might not be a complete address provided so i need to hit the Navigate icon that brings me to Google maps so i can see precisely where the job is....not very user friendly as a driver.

Haven't come across that one. What options are ticked under view in your settings? The only one I have ticked is Navigation.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #83 on: August 30, 2017, 05:43:38 pm »
On Account/Card jobs....where a tip is given,put that amount and the metered fare amount on the jobs screen.....without having to click into the job to see if a tip is given,

I can't always remember the next day when i'm calculating my earnings plus commission paid....and i don't want to be wasting my time clicking into every Account/Card job that i've completed.

If you set the jobs filter to the desired period (presumably the previous day's shift) it'll show totals for cash, account and tip, then add tip to account. However, I guess there's no reason not to show the real total for each job i.e. including tip.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2017, 06:03:09 pm »
I'm pretty sure a mission statement would discourage more drivers than it'd encourage if they had to keep it honest, erm.

I guess it's worth mentioning that many drivers see ratings/priority driver/etc as divide and conquer tactics. I do like the fact that everyone gets a fair bite at the cherry on Uber but If I'm honest those schemes/methodologies don't bother me at all these days as I'm far more likely to beat myself up for taking too much work from mytaxi than to be annoyed at not getting enough. In fact, I generally rate my being satisfied with the volume of work as a 10 on their surveys while every other query gets 0.

Uber does seem to respond to drivers' feedback and is addressing issues raised by drivers:
Quote from: email from Uber
You asked, we listened

Hi Stephen,

We know that partners like you are the driving force behind Uber. Our job is to make our app the best it can be for you.

This week we introduced new changes that will mean you get even more from your partnership with us and we'll have more changes coming very soon too that we'll keep you updated on.

We've introduced new features and policies shaped by your feedback and your experience driving with Uber. Read on to find out about the latest changes. We'll keep listening and keep on improving, so please don't stop sharing your feedback.

Jo Bertram,
Regional General Manager
Jo Bertram

'No Thanks' button
The option to decline rides in the app, rather than waiting for requests to time out.

SEE HOW IT WORKS ❯

2-minute cancellation fee
You'll receive a cancellation fee if your rider cancels more than 2 minutes after you confirm the trip.
GET MORE INFO ❯

More destinations
You can set your destination - and when you want to arrive by - to receive trips going that way 6 times per day.

FIND OUT MORE ❯

However, I can't see it's interest in Ireland extending beyond satisfying clients from abroad given that Uber-X seems to be a non-runner here. It might see some benefit in backing a separate taxi app to rival mytaxi I guess.

Online mercenary for hire

« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2017, 10:42:15 am »
Other drivers may not feel the same way but I really don't like that they're helping limo drivers to circumvent the wheelchair accessible taxi rules by giving them taxi work.It's a taxi app for taxi drivers.Blame Old Bill for that as he takes them on and manages them.That's his job according to his LinkedIn profile.

I also don't like the position they've taken on paying new entrants to sit the new taxi test.The test has been a huge success for the industry.They've adopted a dishonest position by telling media outlets  and the NTA that they don't have enough cars.They have cars but drivers choose not to use the app because the work is low value and more often than not the app will give you shit jobs because they're holding back the juicy work for the golden boys.Plenty of disillusioned drivers just went back to the ranks.

Last time I sent then feedback I just told them to take thier heads out of thier holes as they don't ever take any action.They already know why drivers are pissed off but someone is choosing to ignore it in Mount street.

I'll bet they're hiding the feedback from headquarters in Germany.There's no way this level of incompetence would be tolerated by Daimler.They don't need to damage thier prestige brands by allowing mytaxi to consistently shit in thier pants.What a disaster.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 10:55:43 am by mercenary for hire »

john m

« Reply #86 on: August 31, 2017, 11:38:44 am »
@Merc over on Roys when Hailo first arrived I posted a warning but everybody saw a few extra shillings in their pockets and told me to fuck off .Unlike UBER who would try to control the cars Hailo My taxi will come at it from the opposite direction ,they will try to control the work and the drivers will follow ,WORKCAPTURE  as I predicted they would buy up hotels and venues .The latest step in this effort is to give pubs and clubs a smart fone or upload their app to the barmans phone and drop him some change and tell him if he needs a car for a customer just press the button Pubs like the KCR .Black Horse or Black Lion where thousands of taxies pass by are now hitting the app .

Luckily some drivers are beginning to see whats going on .The Ambassadors are being used as an example to others of how great the scheme is but it is flawed (read my earlier post )The no PUC is here to stay as Rodent says even if they put it back on why would you cover work at peak time when there is plenty of full fare work available commission free .The next step will be sliding scale of commission starting @probably 25% for unranked dropping to 12% for Gold ranked the idea being the higher ranked you are the less commission you pay so there is an incentive to do more and will need to cover Peak time jobs just to hit your grade to save commission .This will be sold to drivers on the basis that full time drivers are more likely to be graded higher and therefore pay less so it favours full time drivers .

The experiment to see if this strategy will fly was recently trialed with the upgrade promotion where drivers were invited to do more in return for some cash .Im sure the data from that promotion showed if you offer incentives to uograde drivers will try .Im now forecasting the introduction of Uniforms for the best drivers .This is not for the best drivers it is to start to grow the corporate image they recently spent millions on a disastrous add campaign by getting drivers to wear a uniform they ingrain corporate loyalty and end up with branded drivers sitting on ranks being approached by my taxi clients which leads to more WORKCAPTURE and in time forces non participating drivers to try harder .As the Rodent says they have the work but dont have the drivers but the only part of that statement that really matters is (THEY HAVE THE WORK) that is the strategy WORKCAPTURE he who controls the work controls the drivers .In two or three years you will be handing over 20% commission .

The much admired Frankie  once said this is a part time gig .The only full fare jobs that will be available will be at weekends when drunks fall out of pubs and want to get home but even that wont last long as the TAC will suggest we all go cash free for our own safety .If you get 10 more years out of this you will be lucky .If I was a younger man or healthier I would be following Frankies advice get another job small money holiday pay sick pay possibly a little pension and do this part time .

« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2017, 12:09:52 pm »
Dunno Erm they can't capture shit if they don't have the drivers on board.It only takes a fraction of drivers to stop using it to cripple the app,kinda like what's happening now.

Taxi driving isn't only a for part timers.I work days and maybe done 2 nights in 8 years and if ya seen me I'm not starving at all.I can't see anything changing in the next few years except maybe it's gonna get busier.The next downturn will bring it's own problems but that's to be expected.

Just as an aside I was reading a thread on reddit and the concensus amongst the smarter posters seemed to be that Uber will be gone in 3 years.It's burning up all the money it has but is still years behind the competition for autonomous vehicles.The last two investment rounds weren't well received because Uber won't show thier books.Won't be long now.Bye bye Uber.

john m

« Reply #88 on: August 31, 2017, 12:20:40 pm »
Uber haters are just jumping on the bandwagon of bad publicity .UBERs idea is disruption they want to disrupt the industry NOT the PASSENGERS ,as long as they can get a car to a passenger they will be successful .As I posted in Roys I would invest in them .Kallanak has done his bit getting the name out there and got Billions of free advertising for the brand .Now they are retaking the field for the second half .The new head of marketing comes from Apple inc and the new head honcho is the best in on line business development .UBER might not go down big in Ireland but worldwide it will be a smash ..There is also a misconception .The ECJ have not yet ruled out UBER all we have seen is an advisory .Id wait till the exact wording comes out before id write them off in Europe compleatly .

Expect to see UBER floating on the stock market in a year or two .

« Reply #89 on: August 31, 2017, 12:37:41 pm »
Erm I don't hate them but you can not argue with the maths.There's a reason you go to the bookies and I won't.

Show Unread Posts