Author Topic: Summoned to the Depot  (Read 74122 times)

The Liffey Lip

Re: Summoned to the Depot
« Reply #105 on: September 01, 2017, 12:15:01 pm »
mytaxi isn't too bad for part-timers who don't work enough hours to justify paying a ton freight.

Only if they charge a flat rate commission for all. Why would a part-timer want to align themselves with anybody? Mytaxi look to be very well organised and very well in. Hoovering up the dregs from the NCR and Dorset St is all a part-timer should be about. The culchies all seem to be drawn to boozers near Croker this time of yr. There'd be no part-timers if it wasn't for Mayo fans. Dubs all seem to be wearing skins and lycra and into walking back to Dalkey and Kill O The Grange after a night out.. Gold stars how are yez.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #106 on: September 01, 2017, 12:27:04 pm »
With mytaxi you can consider the cost/benefit of each job offer. While their top drivers pay €240+/week commission and allow at least the same again in discounts a man who works 20-25 hours covering the odd job for them when it suits would probably pay less than €40. Even allowing another €50 in discounts he's better off than he would be with most fixed freight firms, particularly up above in Dublin.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #107 on: September 02, 2017, 04:14:39 pm »
I've updated my list of feedback, as below. Thanks for the input, I won't submit it 'till Monday so let me know if you have any further suggestions.

Discounts:
Drivers who engage with support, providing feedback, are told they aren’t allowed charge the booking fee in accordance with the fare card but the T&Cs communicated to drivers in general suggest drivers are allowed charge full fare as per local tariffs. The latter is further supported by the blog post at http://help.mytaxi.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2237172-fare-estimate-and-surcharges which states that “The taxi fare rates, including any extra charges or surcharges, are determined by local taxi regulations in the cities and regions where mytaxi operates”.

Obviously it makes no sense for a driver to cover discounted work at peak times, particularly on a commission basis. On the face of it, there’s no justification for offering discounts in the current economic climate and mytaxi is the only Dublin taxi firm with such a policy. This could be viewed as an abuse of it’s dominant position in the PPJ market and seems to contradict its complaining that it cannot cover current demand.

Priority Driver - Schemes of this nature are often viewed as divide and conquer tactics. Hence they, arguably, alienate as many (potential) drivers as they inspire.

Hospitality jobs - The relevant banner doesn’t always display on the offer screen. An opt out facility (as previously available with Hail0) is desirable.

Airport pick ups - Passengers aren’t being directed to the pick up points advised at https://ie.mytaxi.com/DublinAirportPickup and the locations advised suffer from significant accessibility restrictions.

Driver App (Android):
General - Client side programming is poor at best resulting in unnecessary delays in the User Interface updating as it waits for irrelevant responses from the server. Effects include:
- delays in displaying the appropriate action button (Go Free/Go Busy/Etc) when the app is called from background to foreground.
- delays in silencing the audio offer alert and displaying the job or lack thereof when the accept or reject button is pressed.
- delays in loading fare input screen.
- unnecessary inputs and delays in fare input process.
Users don’t need to watch and wait for interactions between the app and the server. Hail0’s UI understood that which is undoubtedly why the vast majority of drivers view the mytaxi app as a poor man’s Hail0. Using the fare input as an example, with Hail0 I entered the fare pressed a button to confirm and the app immediately told me I was free whereas mytaxi feels a need to tell me that it’s processing what I entered and eventually ask me to press OK when it’s done before telling me I’m free. As a user I don’t need to know what it’s doing and I don’t care how long or how many attempts it takes to process the fare, my bit is done when the fare is entered.

Non existent jobs - Whatever way jobs are dispatched seems to result in countless offers that don’t materialise in jobs if accepted. As a driver gets used to the accept button doing nothing other than displaying a bouncing car for a short time he loses interest and certainly won’t refuse a street hail during the time it takes the app to decide whether to give him the job or not. I appreciate that offering jobs to several drivers at a time is designed to improve efficiency for riders and/or encourage drivers to accept faster, perhaps without thinking about the cost/benefit implications. However, one of the things that makes Uber’s driver app infinitely better than mytaxi’s is the fact that all job offers materialise in jobs if accepted within the allotted time.

Distance to jobs - it seems that the mytaxi app aims to display the driving distance but reverts to straight line distance if it’s unable to ascertain driving distance. On the face of it driving distance provides better information but Hail0 used straight line distance which resulted in all jobs appearing to be further away when drivers switched to mytaxi. This undoubtedly contributed to problems riders reported on (social) media during rebranding. Interestingly, a colleague who highlighted the precise cause of this issue was told by support not to waste it’s time! Obviously, the different methodologies cause some confusion among drivers in setting their radius sliders.

Mapping - The navigate facility was a useful addition but the button is too big and in the wrong place as it frequently covers the pick up flag. The map zooming in as the driver approaches the job is a vast improvement from the Hail0 app but it’s not perfect as it often over-zooms leaving the pick up flag off the displayed area. The (blue line) route doesn’t always display. It tends to fail to load for several consecutive jobs at a time suggesting that Google’s flood limits are being hit.

Navigation - The app passes latitude and longitude to the Google Navigation app. Most of the time that works well but occasionally the results are poor e.g. if the coordinates relate to the back of a house it might navigate to the road behind the address. Passing the Eircode or text address where available would work better.

Tolls - The facility to enter tolls at the fare input stage has improved the process but why not have the figure automatically appear, perhaps in editable form. There’s only a handful of toll roads in Ireland so it wouldn’t take a whole lot of time/effort to geofence them. Uber does it!

Destinations - Displaying job destinations on the offer screen could increase acceptance rates and would increase commission revenue as good jobs would be unlikely to be left uncovered.

Job Screen - It would be useful if the total fares displayed on the job list included tips where appropriate. The export button should be placed either above or below the scrollview/listview. Having to scroll past dozens of jobs to export month to date is unnecessarily inconvenient.

Job Feedback - The in app procedure for reporting errors and claiming no contact fees is unnecessarily cumbersome, often requiring drivers to type what is already blatantly obvious from the option selected. As an aside I find some of the (presumably prescribed) responses to error reports obnoxious and condescending. I note from taxi fora that many of my colleagues agree with me. Providing defined inputs to report errors suggests that the firm accepts that occasional errors will occur, in which case you should accept that a driver who makes an error and reports the fact that he made an error knows that he made an error hence he doesn’t need to be told to be more careful in future.

Offline Tony

« Reply #108 on: September 02, 2017, 06:35:43 pm »
You looking for a job off them rats?
Mr. T-bag to you

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #109 on: September 03, 2017, 01:31:37 am »
Nah, I switch it off at midnight of a Saturday.

john m

« Reply #110 on: September 03, 2017, 10:55:15 am »
I've updated my list of feedback, as below. Thanks for the input, I won't submit it 'till Monday so let me know if you have any further suggestions.

Discounts:
Drivers who engage with support, providing feedback, are told they aren’t allowed charge the booking fee in accordance with the fare card but the T&Cs communicated to drivers in general suggest drivers are allowed charge full fare as per local tariffs. The latter is further supported by the blog post at http://help.mytaxi.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2237172-fare-estimate-and-surcharges which states that “The taxi fare rates, including any extra charges or surcharges, are determined by local taxi regulations in the cities and regions where mytaxi operates”.

Obviously it makes no sense for a driver to cover discounted work at peak times, particularly on a commission basis. On the face of it, there’s no justification for offering discounts in the current economic climate and mytaxi is the only Dublin taxi firm with such a policy. This could be viewed as an abuse of it’s dominant position in the PPJ market and seems to contradict its complaining that it cannot cover current demand.

Priority Driver - Schemes of this nature are often viewed as divide and conquer tactics. Hence they, arguably, alienate as many (potential) drivers as they inspire.

Hospitality jobs - The relevant banner doesn’t always display on the offer screen. An opt out facility (as previously available with Hail0) is desirable.

Airport pick ups - Passengers aren’t being directed to the pick up points advised at https://ie.mytaxi.com/DublinAirportPickup and the locations advised suffer from significant accessibility restrictions.

Driver App (Android):
General - Client side programming is poor at best resulting in unnecessary delays in the User Interface updating as it waits for irrelevant responses from the server. Effects include:
- delays in displaying the appropriate action button (Go Free/Go Busy/Etc) when the app is called from background to foreground.
- delays in silencing the audio offer alert and displaying the job or lack thereof when the accept or reject button is pressed.
Users don’t need to watch and wait for interactions between the app and the server. Hail0’s UI understood that which is undoubtedly why the vast majority of drivers view the mytaxi app as a poor man’s Hail0. Using the fare input as an example, with Hail0 I entered the fare pressed a button to confirm and the app immediately told me I was free whereas mytaxi feels a need to tell me that it’s processing what I entered and eventually ask me to press OK when it’s done before telling me I’m free. As a user I don’t need to know what it’s doing and I don’t care how long or how many attempts it takes to process the fare, my bit is done when the fare is entered.

Non existent jobs - Whatever way jobs are dispatched seems to result in countless offers that don’t materialise in jobs if accepted. As a driver gets used to the accept button doing nothing other than displaying a bouncing car for a short time he loses interest and certainly won’t refuse a street hail during the time it takes the app to decide whether to give him the job or not. I appreciate that offering jobs to several drivers at a time is designed to improve efficiency for riders and/or encourage drivers to accept faster, perhaps without thinking about the cost/benefit implications. However, one of the things that makes Uber’s driver app infinitely better than mytaxi’s is the fact that all job offers materialise in jobs if accepted within the allotted time.

Distance to jobs - it seems that the mytaxi app aims to display the driving distance but reverts to straight line distance if it’s unable to ascertain driving distance. On the face of it driving distance provides better information but Hail0 used straight line distance which resulted in all jobs appearing to be further away when drivers switched to mytaxi. This undoubtedly contributed to problems riders reported on (social) media during rebranding. Interestingly, a colleague who highlighted the precise cause of this issue was told by support not to waste it’s time! Obviously, the different methodologies cause some confusion among drivers in setting their radius sliders.

Mapping - The navigate facility was a useful addition but the button is too big and in the wrong place as it frequently covers the pick up flag. The map zooming in as the driver approaches the job is a vast improvement from the Hail0 app but it’s not perfect as it often over-zooms leaving the pick up flag off the displayed area. The (blue line) route doesn’t always display. It tends to fail to load for several consecutive jobs at a time suggesting that Google’s flood limits are being hit.

Navigation - The app passes latitude and longitude to the Google Navigation app. Most of the time that works well but occasionally the results are poor e.g. if the coordinates relate to the back of a house it might navigate to the road behind the address. Passing the Eircode or text address where available would work better.

Tolls - The facility to enter tolls at the fare input stage has improved the process but why not have the figure automatically appear, perhaps in editable form. There’s only a handful of toll roads in Ireland so it wouldn’t take a whole lot of time/effort to geofence them. Uber does it!

Destinations - Displaying job destinations on the offer screen could increase acceptance rates and would increase commission revenue as good jobs would be unlikely to be left uncovered.

Job Screen - It would be useful if the total fares displayed on the job list included tips where appropriate. The export button should be placed either above or below the scrollview/listview. Having to scroll past dozens of jobs to export month to date is unnecessarily inconvenient.

Job Feedback - The in app procedure for reporting errors and claiming no contact fees is unnecessarily cumbersome, often requiring drivers to type what is already blatantly obvious from the option selected. As an aside I find some of the (presumably prescribed) responses to error reports obnoxious and condescending. I note from taxi fora that many of my colleagues agree with me. Providing defined inputs to report errors suggests that the firm accepts that occasional errors will occur, in which case you should accept that a driver who makes an error and reports the fact that he made an error knows that he made an error hence he doesn’t need to be told to be more careful in future.

If Im sitting in Toners waiting for you Im not waiting while you didcuss all that drivel .Let me make it simple for you .

1. Copy the UBER app its billions of times better that your especially its direction and pickup locator .

2.Learn to respect your only asset Your Drivers .

I wouldnt be surprised if there might be other invitations to the Dungeon ?

Offline Tony

« Reply #111 on: September 03, 2017, 12:49:28 pm »

Discounts:

Driver App (Android):

If Im sitting in Toners waiting for you Im not waiting while you didcuss all that drivel .Let me make it simple for you .

1. Copy the UBER app its billions of times better that your especially its direction and pickup locator .

2.Learn to respect your only asset Your Drivers .

I wouldnt be surprised if there might be other invitations to the Dungeon ?

Well fukk you erm, did you really have to quote all that?
Me finger is killing me
Mr. T-bag to you

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #112 on: September 03, 2017, 04:31:34 pm »
If driving to HQ...park away from said building...or remove roofsign to avoid it being vandalised!!

Offline Vikkiz

« Reply #113 on: September 03, 2017, 05:32:49 pm »
If driving to HQ...park away from said building...or remove roofsign to avoid it being vandalised!!
Have you not been following??
There are going to Toners for celebratory/commiseration pints

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #114 on: September 03, 2017, 05:45:41 pm »

A heino shandy and a britvic orange don't count....the pair o dem will probably end up in the George!!

john m

« Reply #115 on: September 03, 2017, 06:03:20 pm »

A heino shandy and a britvic orange don't count....the pair o dem will probably end up in the George!!

Probably end up in the Bridewell  Is Incogneto in the lane beside Bartley Dunnes still open Hal .

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #116 on: September 03, 2017, 06:08:13 pm »
Not sure John....used to get the poppers there back in the day....i think the Boiler House(where Marky goes)in Temple Bar is the in place at the mo....if your into that sort of thing!!

Offline markmiwurdz

« Reply #117 on: September 04, 2017, 09:40:33 am »
Not sure John....used to get the poppers there back in the day....i think the Boiler House(where Marky goes)in Temple Bar is the in place at the mo....if your into that sort of thing!!

yippee yippee ::fuck

The Liffey Lip

« Reply #118 on: September 04, 2017, 10:18:43 am »
Boiler House is still going! Thought the backroom rectum tickling was now ok in the open.

john m

« Reply #119 on: September 04, 2017, 12:55:59 pm »
@ Rodent ..I crafted a beautiful Email in the form of a short story to the members in the Dungeon I painted a picture in words .I then sketched   the drama and hit them with the punchline .It brought a tear to my eye as I read it aloud reminiscent of a  soldjanitsken short story .I even followed the principle of omitting any or all punctuation marks which then requires the reader to deconstruct the piece and punctuate it for themselves which encourages them to focus on the content more intently than the might normally do .

I wouldn't be surprised but I would be amused if an invitation to come to the dungeon to discuss the content  was to be forthcoming .

Show Unread Posts