Author Topic: Brexit  (Read 132427 times)

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
Re: Brexir
« Reply #255 on: August 21, 2018, 03:38:45 pm »
"We" got farm subsidies as well, SC. Margaret Thatcher sold out on the fishermen... although, by all accounts, the Spaniards don't give a flying fuck about quotas.

Offline SClass

« Reply #256 on: August 21, 2018, 04:16:32 pm »
I don't think them fish are Irish anyway.They're just passing through on their way somewhere else.Plenty of fish in the sea S..think I heard that somewhere.I make a lovely fish finger sandwich.

This is the recipe..just between us..you put 4 well burned fish fingers on buttered
wholemeal.. toast with a sprinkle of red cheddar.Then in the microwave, for 15 seconds to melt.Then eat it.hmmm.Nicer than most of the meals I've paid for.I think I'll write a cookery book.Ya don't even have to use the good cutlery if ya don't want to.

So there's plenty of fish in the sea.
Mercenary for hire,
So  your also an expert on fishing,
When was the last time you caught a fish,
 I go fishing fairly regular,
And I can tell you that there is  not plenty of fish in the sea,
Mackerel are extinct,
Haven't caught a mackerel this year,
Cod  are also scarce,
Did you notice it does not say cod fish finger any longer,
It just says fish fingers,
Read the back, it's Pollock, or coly,
And fish don't have fingers.

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #257 on: August 21, 2018, 04:20:41 pm »
I don't care if there's monkey fingers in them by the time I finish burning them the all taste lovely...

Not a into fishing at all...don't see the attraction in catching something with a rod and bait.Hardly a fair contest.Whatever you're into really.

Offline IrishTim1

« Reply #258 on: August 21, 2018, 04:32:36 pm »
Don't mind him SClass he'll be shouting racism against fish next

Offline SClass

« Reply #259 on: August 21, 2018, 05:10:48 pm »
I don't care if there's monkey fingers in them by the time I finish burning them the all taste lovely...

Not a into fishing at all...don't see the attraction in catching something with a rod and bait.Hardly a fair contest.Whatever you're into really.

A fair contest,  rofl
I only fish for the pan,
And don't keep under size fish,
Unlike your Spanish EU citizens
They'd sail up the canal if they could,
They don't give a flying fuck.
Then ,why would they,
There's one out there patrolling,
Anyone can do what the fuck they like.
They have more chance of winning the EuroMillions than getting caught abusing the fishing regulations,

Our rust buckets are flat out down in the Med helping the people smugglers.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #260 on: August 21, 2018, 06:11:45 pm »
Jaysus, I remember going out on speedboats when I was in my youth... we'd be pulling schools of mackerel from the water with nothing more than a 99p line.

dalymount

« Reply #261 on: August 21, 2018, 07:32:17 pm »
the EU are bluffers, and here are 3 examples of why.
near the time of the British declaration to withdraw, the EU threatened that once article 50 was trickkered , there was no going back, that it couldnt be undone. what a load of bollox , they would take them back in the morning if the brits voted to go back.

2 Italy told them to fukk off, they were taking no more migrants and instead of taking stern action against the Italians, they are now pandering to the whims of mr Salvini offering more money.

3 we were told by the EU at the time of the water protest that we HAD to pay ,it was an EU directive. i havent heard a fukking word about it from them since.

they are spineless, gutless, unelected scumbags who have robbed 27 member states of their national identity, and soverntry .

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #262 on: August 21, 2018, 07:50:45 pm »
I was talking with some Italians of late. There seems to be a significant number among those opposed to multiculturalism that are far from convinced by their Government's stance. There's a suspicion that turning a boat or two away amounts to nothing more than publicity stunts while immigrants continue to flood in away from the media spotlight.

I guess it's also noteworthy that the EU facilitates promoting our culture. I was in one small seaside resort town in Italy that's holding it's Irish Festival this weekend, complete with stew, bagpipes, Irish dancing, etc... sounds like great craic altogether.

dalymount

« Reply #263 on: August 22, 2018, 10:09:16 am »
i was in Drogheda this week which done the same thing

john m

« Reply #264 on: August 22, 2018, 10:28:18 am »
John Stuart Mill, an ardent defender of freedom of the press, wrote in his 1859 tract On Liberty: “There is the greatest difference between presuming an opinion to be true, because, with every opportunity for contesting it, it has not been refuted, and assuming its truth for the purpose of not permitting its refutation.” Opinions, for Mill, must be tested by opposing arguments, otherwise they become little better than dead dogmas that may be adhered to zealously yet with little rational warrant.

Mill’s argument, if valid, entails the need not only for a free and independent press but also for an ideologically diverse press. From a Millean perspective, a national media that speaks on a host of controversial issues with one voice, no matter how much freedom it enjoys, is likely to perpetuate unthinking dogmatism and superficial, unreflective discourse; a uniform media has little incentive to put its own dogmatic commitments to the test or to take seriously opposing arguments.

Indeed, in a climate of ideological convergence, many journalists can afford to make lazy, ill-thought-out arguments, since they know they are unlikely to be challenged by their colleagues as long as they do not stray too far from the ideological fold. In short, they can expect most days to be given a free pass, so long as they remain “on side”.

Lazy liberalism
This is exactly what has happened in Ireland, now home to a sort of “lazy liberalism,” in which journalists view their ideological adversaries as soft targets. who can be taken down with shallow and emotionally charged arguments. It is also a place in which some form of “progressive” creed, or whatever passes as “progressive” these days, can be defended in a dogmatic and self-righteous tone that one would normally associate with an old-fashioned religious pulpit.

America’s counterculture is alive and kicking – and dancing
Breda O’Brien: How products keep us in state of chronic anxiety
We millennials can be guilty of overtalking, overanalysing, overeverything
Ireland’s print, radio and television media, instead of offering a vibrant forum of national debate, have become an echo chamber of a certain segment of Irish opinion. Namely a hodgepodge of “progressive” or “liberal” positions on hot-button issues and a thinly veiled if not outright hostility toward traditional Catholicism. With a few rare exceptions, whatever television or radio station you tune into, whatever newspaper you pick up in this country, you are met with a deafening consensus on a host of social and moral questions, from abortion and same-sex marriage to education, transgender ideology, and the value of religion.

An ideologically uniform media erects a public sphere that is dismissive toward the views of a large contingent of voters
A sizeable portion of Irish people continue to believe in traditional values that have been cherished by Christians since ancient times: heterosexual marriage, the equal dignity of all human life, and the value of religious education. Yet Irish journalists frequently treat traditional Christian values and practices as benighted, tend to view religiously informed curricula with suspicion, enthusiastically support same-sex marriage, and overwhelmingly view the legalisation of abortion as a form of social progress.

Now, there is obviously nothing intrinsically wrong with an individual journalist or media organ expressing their opinions or promoting their values. However, there is something deeply troubling about a media culture that, with very few exceptions, represents a limited segment of liberal opinion, in a country that is in fact ideologically, morally and culturally divided on many important issues.

Groupthink
Most journalists are oblivious to this problem, since they probably view ideological convergence as a sign of collective enlightenment. But experience and common sense suggest that an ideologically uniform media fatally undermines the quality of public debate. Firstly it confers cheap authority on contestable opinions by giving the impression that they are immune to serious challenge. Second, it gives journalists a licence to attack and denounce their ideological adversaries with reckless abandon, since they know they will not be held to account by most of their media colleagues. Third, the self-congratulatory and uncritical character of much media debate promotes ideological intolerance and groupthink in homes and workplaces across the nation.

Last but not least, an ideologically uniform media erects a public sphere that is dismissive toward the views of a large contingent of voters, raising serious concerns about the inclusiveness of Irish democracy. Unless one believes that the 33 per cent of voters who opposed abortion up to 12 weeks, or the 38 per cent who opposed same-sex marriage, should be stripped of their citizenship, the media’s failure to fairly represent their views should raise alarm bells for any friend of democracy.

A media that moves in ideological lockstep is something we should all be worried about. We all have a stake in the development of an intelligent, thoughtful, informed and engaged citizenry, and in a class of journalists that is intellectually alert and self-critical, and held to account on a regular basis for what they write.

It is incumbent upon dissenters from the current liberal orthodoxy to develop credible alternatives sources of news and commentary, whether in mainstream or social media outlets. Apart from advancing their own political and social causes, they would be revitalising Ireland’s media and doing a tremendous service to Irish democracy.

SAVE YOU THE TROUBLE OF READING ALL THAT >IT SAYS BEWARE OF GROUPTHINK .TIMMY,DOLLY AND S are making their case others make a different case but in the end debate is good .

The Liffey Lip

« Reply #265 on: August 22, 2018, 10:43:35 am »
Surely groupthink would be Facebook and its likes? The master of the game, George Orwell as a member of the Fabians...wonder what he was shown before he scripted 1984 etc....George Bernard Shaw....same.......Aldous Huxley....Brave New World...same.

john m

« Reply #266 on: August 22, 2018, 10:55:03 am »
Everything is a game Lip Learn the rules and dont let anybody know you are playing .The Brexit thing is a Coup De Finance by the Elites to asset strip the UK so they can regain what they used to own in the 1800 .The poor will be poorer .Look at this country its heading back to the 1800 where you will work to rent and eat own fuck all as your wage is only survival rate .18 century workhouses have been replaced with Hostels doss houses with Bed and brekfast hotels .Education is being priced out of reach to counter the FREE availability .GROUPTHINK in both Ireland and Britain will tell you things are great but they are just DIFFERENTLY THE SAME .

The Liffey Lip

« Reply #267 on: August 22, 2018, 10:57:02 am »
1760 onward...new rules...new game...new cons.....enlightenment was the name given....Napoleon was one of many to cop it....

john m

« Reply #268 on: August 22, 2018, 11:18:15 am »
Here is GROUPTHINK reading much of the world media that Cohen said he paid hush money for Trump .What he actually said was he paid hush money for a candidate in a federal election in 2016 .How many federal elections were there in 2016 ?

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #269 on: August 22, 2018, 12:22:39 pm »
Jaysus, erm... your fingers must be worn out with all that typing.

How do you think Brexit will effect the man on the street, so to speak. I go up to the UK quite frequently myself. A couple of months back I bought a new dart board (Winmau Blade 5 Dual Core) in Argos for €49.74 (inc BOI currency conversion fees on the £42.99) - the same board in Argos down here was €59.99. Just a couple of days ago I bought a jacket in Marks and Sparks for £99 cash - priced at €140 (c.£126) on the M&S Irish website. I also checked the price of another £90 jacket in Debenhams, Newry - €130 on debenhams.ie (c.£117).

Do ya reckon these deals will get better or erode post-Brexit?

Show Unread Posts