Irish Taxi Forum
Public Area => Sports and Gambling => Topic started by: watty on September 22, 2026, 07:17:00 am
-
"Footgolf is a hybrid sport where players kick a standard football into a 21-inch diameter cup."
No, me neither.
‘I never dreamed that I could be good enough to play’ — Dublin taxi driver (61) is reigning footgolf champion (https://www.independent.ie/county/dublin/i-never-dreamed-that-i-could-be-good-enough-to-play-dublin-taxi-driver-61-is-reigning-footgolf-champion/a/161459622.html)
After discovering a hidden talent for the game of footgolf, a Dublin taxi driver has said that he’s found a way to feel less isolated after the many late-night shifts that come with his profession. John Cleary (61), who lives in Santry, has been a taxi driver for 19 years. He started playing footgolf 14 years ago and has gone on to become national champion and to represent Ireland.
Footgolf is a hybrid sport where players kick a standard football into a 21-inch diameter cup.
... “In Tallaght, I was sponsored by Freenow by Lyft. I feel like I’m gaining more recognition as both a taxi driver, and in the sport, with each game.”
... Mr Cleary recommends the sport to others who might struggle with isolation in their everyday lives. “I recommend it to anyone who might end up working alone on their day-to-day. It can make such a difference to have this sense of community,” he said. “Especially to taxi drivers, because it can be such a sedentary job. You’re sitting on your backside for hours, there’s very little exercise. This kind of thing can get you out into the fresh air.”
(https://prod-img.independent.ie/public/incoming/o0e6hc-1000032887.jpg/alternates/WIDTH_1440/1000032887.jpg)
-
61.... FFS our cars are subjected to at least two roadworthiness/cleanliness tests per year.... yet there's still no heath checks for the doddery old fuckers operating them.
Congrats, anyway... I'm sure he'd pass any test... ifn there was any test!
-
"Footgolf is a hybrid sport where players kick a standard football into a 21-inch diameter cup."
No, me neither.
‘I never dreamed that I could be good enough to play’ — Dublin taxi driver (61) is reigning footgolf champion (https://www.independent.ie/county/dublin/i-never-dreamed-that-i-could-be-good-enough-to-play-dublin-taxi-driver-61-is-reigning-footgolf-champion/a/161459622.html)
After discovering a hidden talent for the game of footgolf, a Dublin taxi driver has said that he’s found a way to feel less isolated after the many late-night shifts that come with his profession. John Cleary (61), who lives in Santry, has been a taxi driver for 19 years. He started playing footgolf 14 years ago and has gone on to become national champion and to represent Ireland.
Footgolf is a hybrid sport where players kick a standard football into a 21-inch diameter cup.
... “In Tallaght, I was sponsored by Freenow by Lyft. I feel like I’m gaining more recognition as both a taxi driver, and in the sport, with each game.”
... Mr Cleary recommends the sport to others who might struggle with isolation in their everyday lives. “I recommend it to anyone who might end up working alone on their day-to-day. It can make such a difference to have this sense of community,” he said. “Especially to taxi drivers, because it can be such a sedentary job. You’re sitting on your backside for hours, there’s very little exercise. This kind of thing can get you out into the fresh air.”
(https://prod-img.independent.ie/public/incoming/o0e6hc-1000032887.jpg/alternates/WIDTH_1440/1000032887.jpg)
Poor man. Only 61? The years in the taxi haven't been kind to him.
Still, it gets him out of the house/car.
-
Still, it gets him out of the house/car/coffin :P