Author Topic: Drivers robbed  (Read 396 times)

Offline silverbullet

• You don't want to do it like that
Drivers robbed
« on: September 02, 2024, 05:15:43 pm »
https://www.sundayworld.com/crime/courts/man-24-accused-of-robbing-taxi-driver-at-knifepoint-in-dublin-refused-bail/a1760524192.html

CHARGED | Man (24) accused of robbing taxi driver at knifepoint in Dublin refused bail
Jason Wasser Bonney (24) threatened the cabbie with a knife after being picked up from a hospital and stole €300 and two mobile phones from him, it is alleged.

Andrew Phelan
Today at 15:23
A man accused of robbing a taxi driver at knifepoint in Dublin yesterday has been refused bail.
Jason Wasser Bonney (24) threatened the cabbie with a knife after being picked up from a hospital and stole €300 and two mobile phones from him, it is alleged.

He is also accused of robbing another taxi driver after being collected from a city centre hotel earlier this year.

Judge Treasa Kelly refused to grant him bail at Dublin District Court and adjourned the case for DPP directions.

Mr Wasser Bonney, of Cromlech Court, Ballymun, is charged with two separate robberies, as well as possession of drugs, theft and criminal damage.

Garda Clodagh McDonnell said the accused made no reply after caution to most of the charges but to one, he said: "stitch up."

Learn more
Objecting to bail, she said it was alleged that after a taxi driver picked the accused up from Beaumont Hospital on September 1, Mr Wasser Bonney threatened him with a knife and stole €300, two mobile phones and a Revolut card.

Gda McDonnell said the accused was seen on CCTV leaving the Emergency Department and getting the taxi. When his home was searched, gardaí found clothing he was allegedly seen wearing on the video, as well as the taxi driver’s phones and card.

When he was brought to Ballymun Garda Station yesterday, he was allegedly found in possession of €25 worth of cannabis, €146 worth of Alprazolam tablets and Zopiclone pills valued at €112.

In the other alleged robbery, Gda McDonnell said a taxi driver picked the accused up from the Maldron Hotel, Parnell Square and took him to Ballymun. On alighting, it was alleged the accused punched the cabbie in the face, robbed him of €320 and fled. The man suffered a bloody nose.

Separately, Mr Wasser Bonney allegedly stole an Apple iPad worth €600 from Circle K, Glasnevin on June 21 and a charity box from McDonald’s, Corballis, Dublin Airport on March 31.

On the more serious charges, the court heard a file would be sent to the DPP, who would then direct on a court venue.

Applying for bail, defence solicitor Tracy Horan said the clothing seized by gardaí were “very generic items.”

Judge Kelly said the accused was presumed innocent but the charges were serious. She said the garda objection was made out and there were no bail conditions which could deal with the concerns.

The judge granted free legal aid following an application by Ms Horan.

Mr Wasser Bonney was remanded in custody to appear in Cloverhill District Court on Wednesday.

Two drivers carrying €300+???

I'm guessing they're new to the game or had their weekly taxi rent with them.

Beaumont hospital pick-ups can be very bogey. Two Blue Cab jobs from there ended up being runners.

If it's a cash job, get a deposit upfront.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
Re: Drivers robbed
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2024, 05:18:43 pm »
Probably immigrant drivers 36+% into 24 hour shifts... on the same car.

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2024, 05:29:58 pm »
Probably immigrant drivers 36+% into 24 hour shifts... on the same car.
They're trying to catch up with you making €750+ on Free Now alone, not including BOLT, UBER, or streetwork! 8)

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2024, 05:44:27 pm »
That was a c.20 hour week... Not one shift... and I don't work for Uber... I still haven't updated my documents to reactivate my account.

If they have a ton float it's quite conceivable that they'd be going home with over 3 ton cash after an eight hour shift. Surely you're not suggesting drivers are borrowing up to €20,000 for brand new cars to take in less than €25/hour?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2024, 05:47:29 pm by Rat Catcher »

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2024, 06:13:22 pm »
That was a c.20 hour week... Not one shift... and I don't work for Uber... I still haven't updated my documents to reactivate my account.

If they have a ton float it's quite conceivable that they'd be going home with over 3 ton cash after an eight hour shift. Surely you're not suggesting drivers are borrowing up to €20,000 for brand new cars to take in less than €25/hour?
A minimum of €750 a week would cover costs, and then some for a non-drinker, no-smoker.

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2024, 06:30:47 pm »

A minimum of €750 a week would cover costs, and then some for a non-drinker, no-smoker.
Where was this suggested?

Surely you're not suggesting drivers are borrowing up to €20,000 for brand new cars to take in less than €25/hour?
« Last Edit: Today at 05:47:29 pm by Rat Catcher »

I'd guess the drivers that were robbed are paying circa €250+ a week rent, not including insurance. Insurance through the major taxi rental companies is currently €90 a week.

They could have a brand new car under their arse for less than €121.47 a week, not including insurance.

That's three hours of work in your universe. 8)

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2024, 07:05:45 pm »

RC as Only me:

8)

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2024, 04:29:31 pm »
I doubt those lads renting are claiming to take in less than a pony an hour... and we all know there's at least 16 drivers working those cars, all doing seven 17 hour shifts per week and all claiming BTWEA.

To me it seems mad to get into debt to the tune of 5 figures to turnover €25/hour. Sure CIE are screaming for drivers, bus supplied, paid holidays, recession proof and a pension!

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2024, 10:53:23 pm »
I doubt those lads renting are claiming to take in less than a pony an hour... and we all know there's at least 16 drivers working those cars, all doing seven 17 hour shifts per week and all claiming BTWEA.

To me it seems mad to get into debt to the tune of 5 figures to turnover €25/hour. Sure CIE are screaming for drivers, bus supplied, paid holidays, recession proof and a pension!
Sure there'd be no time for driving lessons or nixers.

I doubt if you'd like being told what to do after 25 years of starting whenever you like and hitting the battlecruiser whenever you're pissed off.

There are people out there who like to be told what to do, like ex-soldiers and civil servants who would work on the buses:

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2024, 01:15:19 pm »
It's less work I'm looking for not more... but I'm not claiming to turnover less than €25/hour. If/when the next recession hits I guess takings could well drop to that extent. Should that happen Id have to consider my options... more driving lessons, steps to maximise taxi takings (e.g. by opting back in to Free Now hospitality jobs, covering app jobs from pubs and/or from DAP, extending my working area beyond 1/4 of a county) and working more hours in the cab would all come before looking for a real job.

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2024, 02:44:05 pm »
It's less work I'm looking for not more... but I'm not claiming to turnover less than €25/hour. If/when the next recession hits I guess takings could well drop to that extent. Should that happen Id have to consider my options... more driving lessons, steps to maximise taxi takings (e.g. by opting back in to Free Now hospitality jobs, covering app jobs from pubs and/or from DAP, extending my working area beyond 1/4 of a county) and working more hours in the cab would all come before looking for a real job.
There's always a recession if you stay in bed. So you'll go out to work when it's dried up?

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2024, 03:00:56 pm »
My hourly average dipped a bit (not c to €25) during August on account of at least one particularly quiet weekend. However, it bounced back last week and the two shifts I've done this week (Mon & Tue evenings) have been okay. Last time a recession hit takings dropped significantly almost overnight, c. September/October 2008. That was followed by a fare increase that only made things worse... coincidentally, there's a fare increase in the pipeline at the moment! Anywaysanall, as above, I don't maximise takings so I have some options before resorting to longer hours in the cab should the economy collapse. Given a worst case scenario I guess I could always become a Free Now Ambassador and/or sign up to cover Free Now pre-bookings to increase takings by 30-60% depending on which junk mail you believe.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2024, 03:03:38 pm by Rat Catcher »

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2024, 03:07:05 pm »
My hourly average dipped a bit (not c to €25) during August on account of at least one particularly quiet weekend. However, it bounced back last week and the two shifts I've done this week (Mon & Tue evenings) have been okay. Last time a recession hit takings dropped significantly almost overnight, c. September/October 2008. That was followed by a fare increase that only made things worse... coincidentally, there's a fare increase in the pipeline at the moment! Anywaysanall, as above, I don't maximise takings so I have some options before resorting to longer hours in the cab should the economy collapse. Give a worst case scenario I guess I could always become a Free Now Ambassador and/or sign up to cover Free Now pre-bookings to increase takings by 30-60% depending on which junk mail you believe.
My hourly average dipped a bit (not c to €25) during August on account of at least one particularly quiet weekend. However, it bounced back last week and the two shifts I've done this week (Mon & Tue evenings) have been okay. Last time a recession hit takings dropped significantly almost overnight, c. September/October 2008. That was followed by a fare increase that only made things worse... coincidentally, there's a fare increase in the pipeline at the moment! Anywaysanall, as above, I don't maximise takings so I have some options before resorting to longer hours in the cab should the economy collapse. Give a worst case scenario I guess I could always become a Free Now Ambassador and/or sign up to cover Free Now pre-bookings to increase takings by 30-60% depending on which junk mail you believe.

You can't help it can ya?

I'll diversify when there's nothing doing. 8)

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2024, 03:18:36 pm »
There'd be little point to whinging about not being able to earn a crust whie actively refusing 60+% of the work available...

Desperate times...

Show Unread Posts