Author Topic: am'nt i brilliant  (Read 3002 times)

Offline Dr. Martin Gooter Bling

am'nt i brilliant
« on: May 19, 2018, 02:17:07 pm »
https://m.independent.ie/business/small-business/your-stories/wallet-watch-with-lynk-taxi-ceo-my-first-business-venture-was-selling-broken-biscuits-and-chocolate-doortodoor-36920007.html

Noel Ebbs, a tech entrepreneur who has more than 20 years experience in taxi technology, founded Lynk Taxi in 2015.

Initially based in Dublin, the company is moving into commuter towns as it continues with its expansion plans.

Noel gave us a look at his spending habits!

Spender or Saver?

I’m kind of both. I love buying old vinyl records, good coffee, eating out and at the moment I’m in the middle of a house build so I’m spending a lot of money there.

But I always save as well and I'd never dip into my savings unnecessarily. It’s an old family value. When we were kids my dad was ill with TB for a couple of years and as a result we went through some lean times. An experience like this stays with you. You learn to always have a rainy-day fund.

Biggest purchase to-date?

House, car and business investments aside the biggest personal purchase I have made in the last 10 years or so has been my hi-fi system. It’s an amazing piece of kit. The sound quality is incredible – better than a live performance. It can make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Cash or card?

I always carry walking-around money. It’s probably a generational thing. Everyday purchases I would make with cash. For spontaneous purchases I would use the card. But there are some things I always use card to pay… for example, I can’t tell you the last time I paid cash for a Lynk – I always use card.

Three things you couldn’t live without?

Definitely number one is music! For me, music is the missing sense!

Second is books. I love reading. I would go through 20 or 30 books a year and that’s something considering I work 60 or 70 hours per week.

Third is my sport – Scuba Diving. If you truly want to be at peace with yourself and your environment just get yourself 30 meters under the sea and check it out. It’s as real as life can get!

What would be your largest monthly outgoing?

At the moment it’s definitely the house build. And that’s likely to continue for some time. It’s like pouring money into a black hole!

Best financial advice?

When I was a kid I used to sell broken biscuits and broken chocolate door-to-door on a Saturday. Pat Quinn, a famous supermarket operator at the time, took a shine to me and helped me to see what I was doing as ‘running a business.’

He mentored me for a couple of months in his store in Ballymun Shopping Centre, where I stacked shelves after school and also where I initially got the biscuits and chocolate.

When I started to make a few bob out of my little business he asked me what I was doing with the money. I told him that my dad said that I had to hand-up a third (meaning that I had to give my mam a third of the profit towards housekeeping) spend a third and save a third.

He asked me if I was really saving a third and I told him that I was actually saving about 90pc as I couldn’t actually spend a third – it was too much. And his advice was simple – Good boy, he said, always remember it’s your job and it’s my job to get people to spend their money on what we want them to spend it on. But people who spend their money have nothing!

Offline watty

Re: am'nt i brilliant
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 05:24:59 pm »
He seems to be the only taxi driver/owner that the Indo is aware of.  No wonder the NTA are pushing out another 1600 licences - the man needs help!

Offline silverbullet

• You don't want to do it like that
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 08:13:19 pm »
 It’s like pouring money into a black hole!

Odd that... I'm told she's Cuban!! 8)

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 12:08:14 am »
He's right about life under the sea.

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 09:51:14 am »
Is he some sort of celebrity now? What has the fuk selling broken biscuits got to do with charging drivers 350 a week for a rental? He could have had a nice comfortable life if he just kept driving his taxi. He'll probably dies with millions in the bank leaving his kids fighting over the estate. Nobody can spend all that money. Must be some scuba gear he has.

dalymount

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 12:33:53 pm »
did ya do a bit of diving then rat ?

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 12:47:25 pm »
Tried it in Spain a couple of times. Extremely relaxing but I wouldn't be competent enough to go unsupervised. Are you a diver?

Offline Tony

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 01:00:05 pm »
Is he some sort of celebrity now? What has the fuk selling broken biscuits got to do with charging drivers 350 a week for a rental? He could have had a nice comfortable life if he just kept driving his taxi. He'll probably dies with millions in the bank leaving his kids fighting over the estate. Nobody can spend all that money. Must be some scuba gear he has.

He's still breaking the biscuits and feeding the drivers crumbs
Mr. T-bag to you

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 01:29:53 pm »
That bollix could easily afford his own submarine.It would be worth finding out where he goes with the scuba gear.Probably has a load of cash hidden somewhere from revenue.I've done a bit meself on holiday..hardest part was getting the suit on.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 01:37:46 pm »
Finding a suit to fit was the hardest part for me! Once you get to grips with equalising the air pressure in your face it's simple enough... still, you wouldn't want to be 30 metres down and have an Oxygen tank failure without an experienced diver to rescue you!

Offline Bob Shillin

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 05:56:39 pm »
Mmmm, diving....
"So look into the mirror, do you recognise someone, is it who you always thought you would become, when you were young?"

Offline Dr. Martin Gooter Bling

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 06:07:54 pm »
a cousin of mine has been down to the Lusitania a few times.
she was carrying 4 million rounds of rifle ammunition and a shit load of explosives.
the wreck is in bad nick because the brits have depth charged her many times trying to destroy the evidence.

Offline silverbullet

• You don't want to do it like that
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2018, 07:13:53 pm »
He dives up in Muff.

Show Unread Posts