Author Topic: Paddy Power.  (Read 5465 times)

john m

Re: Paddy Power.
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2019, 11:32:02 am »
......I remember talking to Ivan Yates and trying to explain why Celtic Bookmakers would not work ......
Ivan Yeats is/was a good man, way too honest,decent and respectable fer the cut throath business that he was in !

There was a bounty of 10k available from one of the big two if you could locate a site that they opened a shop in .Thats how hard it was to get good locations yeats opened shops in Graveyads .like Harolds Cross where everybody worked all day and there was no passing trade or Chapelisod where there was exactly the same set upworkers with mortgages dont play in bookie shops .

The Liffey Lip

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2019, 11:47:00 am »
Ministerial pension and still he could claim bankruptcy?............2 yrs in Swansea gargling and knocking off miners' wives.........what a joke.

john m

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2019, 11:49:13 am »
Ministerial pension and still he could claim bankruptcy?............2 yrs in Swansea gargling and knocking off miners' wives.........what a joke.

Fair play to him he learned the rules .

The Liffey Lip

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2019, 11:58:53 am »
Nah, the rules were explained to him.......most people are too busy trying to do what they're told to by the Govt.

Offline stonethecrows

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2019, 11:59:05 am »

Fair play to him he learned the rules .
What about the sheep
He who fears he will suffer, already suffers because he fears.

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2019, 03:03:21 pm »
What about Ebbs failed bookies?
I suppose he found another business that relied on a mug clientele...allegedly!

Offline Belker

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2019, 08:57:38 pm »
@ John M, if you think the taxi game is bent, corrupt and cut throath, then just look at the gambling game.
We have both worked in each sector, you have seen Billy Arkle work his magic and I as a young man saw too many things that no young man should see.
Fer me at least the Taxi game has rules which can be enforced by a court of law, the Gambling game has no such rules.

john m

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2019, 09:17:22 pm »
I know a bookie burned down his own shop to burn dockets after somebody won about 12000 and when the customer came in next day he rang the Gards for him claiming he was exploiting the situation .

Offline Belker

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2019, 10:31:18 pm »
The Gambling game has little or no rules.
I could tell many stories that would have my family in prison but I wont.

But this one was down to me alone;
I had about 250 Euro on my credit/debit card and had a bet of 200 @ 5/2 on some horse with some phone bookie. I knew the bookie would not put the credit card through until the race was over because if he did then he would have to pay the CC charge on it. With a furlong to go my horse was well down the field, so I got the girl in my office to take 200 Euro from my card and when the bookie went to process my card after the horse had lost then it was declined. The bookie tried again several times over the next few days to take the funds but I made sure the account was kept bare. Three days later I rang to confirm that it was a 'No-Bet'.

john m

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2019, 10:39:50 pm »
In 1923, jockey Frank Hayes won race at Belmont Park in New York despite being dead. He suffered a heart attack mid-race but his body stayed in the saddle until his horse crossed the line.The thirty-five-year-old Hayes had never won a race before and in fact by profession was not actually a jockey but a horse trainer and longtime stableman. The horse, a 20-1 outsider called Sweet Kiss, was owned by Miss A.M. Frayling. Hayes apparently died somewhere in the middle of the race, but his body remained in the saddle throughout. Sweet Kiss eventually crossed the finish line, winning by a head with Hayes technically still on her back, making him the first, and thus far only, jockey known to have won a race after death.

Show Unread Posts