Author Topic: A Disgrace Rickshaws still untouchable and Tax-free Taking our money  (Read 1824 times)

Offline dublin2018

Offline Shallowhal

Re: A Disgrace Rickshaws still untouchable and Tax-free Taking our money
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 04:21:27 pm »
"Unlicenced rickshaws?......i didn't realise they were licenced in the first place and if they are,by who and why arn't they regulated,and they're obviously renting them from someone who are well aware of the activities involving drug dealing,start with who's supplying the rickys to these Brazilians.

dalymount

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 04:24:17 pm »
The roumor is that git k is the supplier

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 04:33:14 pm »
Hmm.

Offline dublin2018

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 04:33:30 pm »
We pay Licences, High insurance,Tax on Income,Tax on Fuel, Tax everywhere.They pay nothing into society and to stick the 2 fingers up at the Irish People. They DEAL DRUGS and poison people.Minister Ross 2 years ago said they be banned another lie .Those Rickshaw Rats are taking the food off your family table.Wait for another 3 weeks Crimbo over and little work and the illegal Rickshaws laughing at us.Did you ever stare at a Rickshaw Driver???.They never look back as they guilty as hell and your like a ghost to them.

dalymount

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 04:57:58 pm »
Problem is though, DCCis more or less run by the push bike , and sandles brigade. Ciaran cuff, and Owen Keegan want the combustion engine out of the city centre and they are quite prepared to allow these drug dealing cunts continue simply because they operate on bikes

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 07:00:31 pm »
The Brazilian fears nothing, this is what he's borne of:
https://youtu.be/Tx9L8idnX4Q

dalymount

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 07:48:38 pm »
Why has TTNH , or the fed nothing to say about this ?

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 01:56:12 pm »
Hard for them to comment on the drug dealing aspect given that they have both opposed An Garda Siochana in trying to refuse (renewal of) taxi driving licences to convicted drug dealers, DM. I think Minister Ross concluded that it wasn't feasible to ban rickshaws so opted to task NTA with devising appropriate regulation. That's probably the sensible course of action in any event. I'm sure you will remember a regular contributor to Roy's blog from Galway telling us how taxis over there were stuck queuing for several hours on ranks for fiver locals when they were banned from that city or parts thereof, as the case may be. There probably is a place for them up above in Dublin. To be fair they've a far better safety record than taxis, at least as far as causing death/serious injury goes and they do add a bit of character to the place as well a helping get folk from A to B. Personally I think regulation should restrict their area of operation to within a 1.7 mile radius of Trinity College and require them to have appropriate insurance.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2019, 02:01:07 pm »
Had three young ladies in the cab a while back and the one in the front read a "Ban Rcikshaw's" sticker on the back of the taxi or hackney in front of us, saying that she'd never seen one before and that seems a bit mean. I drew her attention to the apostrophe which threw her a bit and led to some discussion as to what, in fact, the sticker was advocating. Anywaysanall, she then asked if I agree with it... what, the apostrophe says I, I'm not illiterate, who's being mean now?

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2019, 02:10:33 pm »
Had three young ladies in the cab a while back and the one in the front read a "Ban Rcikshaw's" sticker on the back of the taxi or hackney in front of us, saying that she'd never seen one before and that seems a bit mean. I drew her attention to the apostrophe which threw her a bit and led to some discussion as to what, in fact, the sticker was advocating. Anywaysanall, she then asked if I agree with it... what, the apostrophe says I, I'm not illiterate, who's being mean now?
Reports of the death of the apostrophe are greatly exaggerated
by Roslyn Petelin | December 09, 2019

EMAIL

Reports this week about the demise of the Apostrophe Protection Society may have been greatly exaggerated.

The Apostrophe Protection Society was set up in 2001 in the UK by retired journalist John Richards with the aim of “preserving the correct use of this currently much abused punctuation mark in all forms of text written in the English Language”.

When I read that Richards had capitulated to the “ignorance and laziness” of those who wrongly used apostrophes, I toyed with the idea of resurrecting the society in Australia.

There may be no need. A six-fold increase in traffic to the website after the story broke caused the society’s webmaster to close the site down. He has promised to return the archive in the new year. Its survival is important. The apostrophe isn’t all that tricky to get your head around - and doing away with it won’t make language simpler.

Though many get it wrong, others’ contractions are so right. Patrick Tomasso/Unsplash, CC BY
Its - not it’s - big impact

British newspaper writer Harry Mount once wrote: “missing apostrophes is just ignorant and lazy”. He praised “the device that does so much with so little ink to point a sentence in the right direction”.

Richards’s desire to expel the intrusive greengrocer’s apostrophe (all those mango’s and tomato’s on special discount) mirrors that of Keith Waterhouse, the English columnist renowned as the author of classic comedy novel Billy Liar (1959) and Jeffrey Bernard is Unwell – a 1989 play about the musings of a London journalist and alcoholic who is locked overnight in The Coach & Horses Soho pub.

Waterhouse was the self-appointed life president of the (fictional) Association for the Annihilation (also Abolition) of the Aberrant Apostrophe and claimed to have an apostrophe incinerator in his back garden for superfluous apostrophes. His attendant goal was to redistribute ill-placed apostrophes to their rightful location.

Closer to home, the ABC’s Tiger Webb has previously dismissed the apostrophe. And I have responded with an argument for its preservation (with many fine examples).

We need apostrophes in the right places in examples such as this: “She’d wed him in a shed if we’d agree to it” when letters are left out. And for possession: the “ant’s pants” or the “ants’ pants” and likewise the “bee’s knees” or the “bees’ knees”.

Writers’ rules for writers

Driving along William Street in the Brisbane CBD in 1990, I was horrified to notice painters putting the finishing touches to the signage for the about-to-be-opened Queensland Writers’ Centre. It was without an apostrophe. A phone call to the committee soon corrected that oversight and the apostrophe was used for a while, though the battle was lost in later years.

It’s now known as the Queensland Writers Centre and it hosts the Brisbane Writers Festival each year.

The writers’ festivals held in Byron Bay, Canberra, Melbourne, Hobart, and Wollongong are also sans apostrophe. Their respective management committees must have reached an agreement that the word “writers” is used in a descriptive or affiliative sense rather than as a possessive adjective. Thank goodness the committees of the writers’ festivals held in Sydney, Adelaide, the Northern Territory, and the Outback held out.

Possession in place names has caused controversy in the UK and here.

The UK’s National Land and Property Gazetteer, which registers street names, doesn’t require apostrophes in new names, but the rule doesn’t apply to existing signs. Devon and Birmingham unilaterally disposed of the possessive in in all street and road signs in 2009, though the Devon council backtracked shortly after.

In the UK, many places have done away with apostrophes on signs. Shutterstock
South Australia has removed all apostrophes in place names. The policy of the NSW Geographic Names Board is to have no apostrophe in place names with a final “s”.

The Australian government’s Style Manual for Authors, Editors and Printers lists guidelines for other states and the Northern Territory. It’s worth noting the last printed edition of this manual was produced in 2002. A new digital guide to government-endorsed grammar has been promised. At the time it was announced, the digital manual’s product manager imagined a time when:

Clear written communication would be valued and personal preference wouldn’t be an option because there’d be one credible ‘source of truth’ that stated the rules and provided the evidence for why.

Statements like this bode well for its future, though “rules” about language aren’t always black or white. The guide is now in its Beta version and set for release in 2020.

Don’t get it twisted

Within the ranks of those who do subscribe to the possessive apostrophe, I can count on Richard Nordquist for his authoritative guidance and The Chicago Manual of Style for support.

Perhaps the most contentious apostrophe point is how to make singular words ending in “s” possessive. Is it “Dickens’ novels” or “Dickens’s novels”?

The Chicago Manual of Style advocates the extra “s” alternative in all cases, as do I. Even in cases such as “Descartes’s dicta” and “Euripides’s tragedies”.

Only use the contraction ‘it’s’ if it can be replaced by ‘it is’ or ‘it has’.
It is heartening to read related news that, whether or not John Richards’s apostrophe work continues, he might consider a campaign to save the comma from a similar fate.

“The use of the comma is appalling,” he told the BBC. “When I read some newspaper websites they just don’t understand what it is used for.”

This man, a punctuation champion in his 90s, is indomitable.The Conversation
Roslyn Petelin, Course coordinator, The University of Queensland. This article is republished from The Conversation under a Creative Commons license. Read the original article. 8)

Online Octavia1

• Ide rather be a poor master than a rich servant
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2019, 02:13:59 pm »
The Brazilian fears nothing, this is what he's borne of:
https://youtu.be/Tx9L8idnX4Q
Tyrellestown?
Ide rather be a poor master than a rich servant

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2019, 02:23:18 pm »

Show Unread Posts