Author Topic: Expired licence letter  (Read 1426 times)

Offline mercenary for hire

Expired licence letter
« on: September 14, 2020, 09:13:08 am »
Here is some of the text from the NTA if you let your licence expire.Interesting stuff that appears to leave no room for manoeuvre just in case you weren't coming back for a few years.

"Your licence has now expired. A vehicle licence can be reactivated up to one year from its expiry date. There is no possibility
to extend this date under any circumstances. Should you wish to renew your vehicle licence call 0761 064 000."

I thought they had some discretion in extreme cases to allow you to renew your plate after the year is up.Obviosly not.

" If you are not renewing your licence:
Under Section 17 of the Taxi Regulation Acts 2013 and 2016, whenever a SPSV licence expires and an application for
the renewal of the licence is not made, or an application for the renewal of the licence is refused.
You must complete the following within 21 days of this notification:
• Return the tamperproof discs and vehicle licence certificate;
• Supply written confirmation that any and all signage has been removed from the vehicle; and
• In respect of a taxi, cease to display taxi signage on the vehicle
It is an offence not to comply with the aforementioned requirements and a person is liable on summary conviction to a
fine of up to €2,500.
The aforementioned documentation should be returned to National Transport Authority, SPSV Licensing Section, PO
Box 436, City North Business Park, Tuam Road, Galway.
Should you wish to renew your vehicle licence call 0761 064 000."

So they still want the poxy discs even though the car has cobwebs all over it.I'm not gonna send them back because I can't be arsed.

john m

Re: Expired licence letter
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 11:53:47 am »
So door decals should be removed if you are not insured as a taxi ?As your licence is automatically suspended if you remove the taxi insurance ?

Offline Justin Time

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 11:54:39 am »
How come your licence is up?
Presumably youve been passed out by "suitability" , why would it be "expired"?

Offline Justin Time

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 11:58:49 am »
So door decals should be removed if you are not insured as a taxi ?As your licence is automatically suspended if you remove the taxi insurance ?

NTA told me you cannot suspend your licence for more than 3 months.

john m

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 12:01:09 pm »
How come your licence is up?
Presumably youve been passed out by "suitability" , why would it be "expired"?

Some lads informed the taxi thingey they were off the road they gave 3 months grace without imposing a late renewal fee .Technically if you do not have taxi insurance on your vehicle you should inform them as you are not properly licenced as it is a requirement you hold taxi insurance .If you go more than a year without fixing the licence to a vehicle it expires .

john m

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 12:02:53 pm »

NTA told me you cannot suspend your licence for more than 3 months.

You can suspend it up to one year .They offered 3 months grace without imposing the late renewal charge .

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 12:48:18 pm »
I allowed it to expire.PSV Insurance is almost €2000 a year and private insurance was €800 so I parked it up.I have the free use of another vehicle and a mountain bike.

There are no late renewal fees until the the NTA say so again Erm.No reason reason to keep it active unless I was planning to claim and work.That seems like a lot of hassle TBH.

Show Unread Posts