Author Topic: Funerals in the Covid era  (Read 1177 times)

Offline silverbullet

Funerals in the Covid era
« on: January 14, 2021, 03:04:21 pm »
An old mate of mine in his mid 50s keeled over 10 days ago.

He left behind a wife and two sons.

One in college, one early teens.
The funeral was today in Whitehall.  I  know the place would have been packed. Instead because of restrictions  about 20 were allowed in the gigantic church.

The eulogy was very befitting the guy, yet we were reduced to watching it live streamed onto our T.V.

I felt sorry for his family and by extension,  all the other families going through the bereavement process at this time.

Strangely,  we met in our local park recently having been out of touch for years with the agreement that whenever this Covid-19 is over we'd have a pint for old times sake, alas, it wasn't to be.

Pity, because it was his round! 8)

john m

Re: Funerals in the Covid era
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 03:20:40 pm »
Sorry to hear about your mate Brian .Its a strange time a lot of mental health issues will surface after this Cough has past .Stay safe and look after yourself .

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 04:25:29 pm »
Same here,a couple of friends,Derek was a great musician and the gang of us had some memorable nights and Mary,although we hadn't been in touch for some time the news of her passing still came as a shock,both of them knew each other also so we were in each others company many a time,
As a group of friends we sort of joke that the only time we seem to get together is at funerals...not so during these covid times!!

Offline Octavia1

• Ide rather be a poor master than a rich servant
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 04:35:08 pm »
Same here,a couple of friends,Derek was a great musician and the gang of us had some memorable nights and Mary,although we hadn't been in touch for some time the news of her passing still came as a shock,both of them knew each other also so we were in each others company many a time,
As a group of friends we sort of joke that the only time we seem to get together is at funerals...not so during these covid times!!
Derek the drummer hal?  Died cople weeks ago
Ide rather be a poor master than a rich servant

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 04:58:28 pm »
No Octy.....different guy.

Offline watty

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 05:29:02 pm »
Same here.  Had a cousin who drank himself to death.  Only 10 at the funeral.  I didn't go but it was the weirdest feeling on the day of the funeral.  He got cremated and wanted his ashes scattered somewhere but of course, with lockdown, nobody can drive there and finish the job!

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 06:05:25 pm »
RIP

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 06:44:18 pm »
Sorry to hear about your mate Brian .Its a strange time a lot of mental health issues will surface after this Cough has past .Stay safe and look after yourself .
Thanks John. He was a guy that would look after his own. A fellow dog walker was telling me "  There's a local guy with a gimpy leg 

Show Unread Posts