Author Topic: Greyhound Trainer Attacked  (Read 2522 times)

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
Greyhound Trainer Attacked
« on: March 24, 2019, 01:32:24 pm »
https://www.thesun.ie/news/3894415/cork-pensioner-life-threatening-attack/

BATTERED IN HIS SLEEP Pensioner suffers punctured lung after he was dragged from his van and beaten while sleeping in Cork car park

Pensioner Christy O'Callaghan was dragged from the Toyota Hiace van and viciously beaten in a completely unprovoked attack by a man shortly after midnight

By Ann Mooney
21st March 2019, 10:15 pm

A PENSIONER suffered life threatening injuries yesterday when he was attacked while sleeping in his van in a car park in Co Cork.

Christy O’Callaghan, 73, was seriously assaulted by a man, who is known to the Gardai, in the early morning.

According to sources, the elderly man was sleeping in the vehicle at Sleaveen East, in Macroom, Co Cork.

He was dragged from the Toyota Hiace van and viciously beaten in a completely unprovoked attack by a man shortly after midnight.

The pensioner, named locally, suffered a punctured lung as well as serious injuries to his head and body.

The alarm was raised by a local who was passing through the car park which is located near Dunnes Stores and only yards from where Timmy Foley was stabbed to death in his home last October.

The emergency services were alerted and gardai and paramedics were quickly at the scene where Mr O’Callaghan was treated for life-threatening injuries before being taken to Cork University Hospital.

He is currently in Intensive Care where his condition is described as serious but stable.

According to locals, Mr O’Callaghan was a well-known greyhound trainer and well respected in the community.

Gardai arrested a man in his 30’s before taking him to Bandon Garda Station.

The Liffey Lip

Re: Greyhound Trainer Attacked
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 02:53:01 pm »
Poor man. Hope the scumbag is fucked sideways by 3 large jailhouse rent-boys until his colon meets their testicles.

Offline Belker

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 05:12:55 am »
That's a strange one, I knew Christy fer Donkeys years, a bit of a Willie Mullins look-a-like and just as good a greyhound trainer.
WTF was he doing at 73 sleeping in a van in a car park ?
The man was an Icon in his day in professional greyhound training circles.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 05:34:24 am by Belker »

Offline Belker

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 05:17:29 am »
https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Shock-in-Macroom-over-pensioners-brutal-assault-f0ad158a-4c93-4947-9a28-ca73fc61d0c4-ds
That is very strange, why was he at 73 sleeping in a van fer years while being one of the top greyhound trainers in the country ??

I'm confident of having the answers soon.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 05:35:49 am by Belker »

Offline Belker

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 08:19:31 pm »
Seemingly he was in dispute over the ownership of a house and was living in his van in protest.
Not supposed to be doing too well in hospital.
Nice fella, I remember him well from Thirty odd years back, non drinker/smoker/gambler.

Offline Belker

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 04:36:08 pm »
A 31-year-old man has been jailed for 15 years, with the last two years suspended, for a prolonged serious assault on a 73-year-old man in Co Cork last year.

The injuries to Christy O'Callaghan were so severe he is now unable to live independently.

Jonathan O'Driscoll, of Coolcower House, Macroom, pleaded guilty to assault causing serious harm to Mr O'Callaghan at Sleaveen East, Macroom on 21 March 2019.

Mr O'Callaghan, from Macroom, who is well known in Irish greyhound racing as a trainer, was left in a critical condition at Cork University Hospital following the assault.

Det Garda Alan O'Sullivan told Cork Circuit Criminal Court that Mr O'Callaghan was sitting in his car in a car park shortly before midnight on the night in question when O'Driscoll dragged him from his vehicle, beating him about the head started stomping on his head car and threw him around like a "rag doll".

The court heard O'Driscoll had been released from hospital following a psychotic episode.

The court also heard it was a vicious and sustained assault which lasted 14 minutes. The entire incident was captured on CCTV.

No explanation was given for the assault and the parties were not known to each other.

Members of the public raised the alarm and when gardaí arrived at the scene they found O'Driscoll cradling Mr O'Callaghan.

Det O'Sullivan said that O'Driscoll "stomped" Mr O'Callaghan on the top of his head a number of times.

"He kicked him when he was in a lifeless position," Det O’Sullivan said.

Mr O'Callaghan incurred serious injuries included a bilateral scalp laceration, fractures to his facial bones, extensive soft tissue damage, fracture of the ribs, a collapsed lung and subdural haematoma.

Following extensive hospital treatment, he is now being cared for in a long-term care facility.

In a victim impact statement, Mr O'Callaghan said that prior to the crime he led a "nice life".

"I enjoyed working with greyhounds and attended the greyhound track twice a week. I had made a lot of good friends through the dogs," he said.

"Since I was so badly assaulted my life has totally changed. I have been in hospital since and I have not been home. Nobody will ever know half of what I suffered."

Barrister Siobhan Lankford, defending, said her that client was from a difficult background and suffered with anxiety and depression.

She said that two weeks before the incident O'Driscoll had a psychotic incident and went to a hospital. He was discharged after four days even after he told staff that he did not want to be released as he felt too unwell.

She made an appeal for leniency given the signed plea and cooperation of her client.

Judge Seán Ó Donnabháin said that it was an "extraordinarily vicious and unprovoked assault".

He said that that the life of Mr O'Callaghan was now a "living hell".

Judge Ó Donnabháin said that O'Driscoll had feared that he would do harm but was released from hospital. However, he said there was no excuse for the "sustained, deliberate and prolonged violence".

He jailed O'Driscoll for 15 years, suspending the last two years of the sentence.

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2021/0209/1196019-pensioner-assault-cork/

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2021, 06:47:18 pm »
The country’s gone to the dogs!

Show Unread Posts