Author Topic: New Car For or against or dont Know  (Read 929 times)

Offline John m

New Car For or against or dont Know
« on: July 11, 2022, 08:32:26 am »
If you are one of the 5000 drivers that have to renew your vehicle .What are your thoughts on a New Car For or against or dont Know ?Ill do the Case Against .Somebody else can do the Case For and then somebody else can do the case for dont know .Might be interesting to hear other peoples opinions .

Would I buy a New Vehicle to work as a Taxi ?NO .Although there are Grants for EVs available and a lack of Cars at the moment ,there are to many unknowns about the durability of the EVs to take the daily grind of taxi work .They are heavy vehicles so wear and tare on suspension and tyres could unfold as an issue .

Resale or trade in values are unknown ,will it even be possible to trade in a three or four year old X taxi with 120K on the Battery ?

Eamo and the Sprouts are not going away FF/FG/Shinners will all follow a Green Agenda they will have to or be fined millions by Europe so investing in a Fossil Fuel vehicle Petrol or Hybrid or Diesel has its risks as Russian Oil or Gas cuts could see the Green Agenda really take off over the next few years .9 year rule is here to stay no matter what you think in my opinion there is a better chance of it being reduced to 7 than increased to hasten the introduction of newer cleaner vehicles into the Fleet .As soon as there are 100% EBusses then pressure will come on other Public Transport to follow .

New EVs are to expensive and unknown but the Grants do make the risk probably worth taking .New Petrol or Diesels could be forced off the Road by reducing the allowable emissions ,Limits have been reducing year by year at testing  It’s likely that the next Euro 7 emissions standard will come into force around 2025.

So too many unknowns .Will EVs last the course ,Will EU get a kicking from Russia if they cut both oil and Gas ,Will Japan and Toyota develop Hydrogen engines .Which will not need expensive Electricity or oil to fuel them .To me it seems strange that we burn Coal,Oil ,Gas ,Or Nuclear Power to make a different power called electricity in what way is that Green .The whole Windmills are the future is nonsense and if the Spanish who live in the Sun are not fitting Solar panels to their homes and selling power back to the Grid ,Why are we pushing solar panels on Roofs as a means to generate more electricity than we can use ..

In 4 years you go into a Garage to buy a car what options will there be ?Will the Roundy Q decide to  make their forecourts Hydrogen or Electric point of sales or will they still sell Fosil Fuels .When your looking at the thick end of 20K for a run of the Mill motor and add another 10K if you want comfort .Its a big investment into the unknown .

So following the old adage of the Devil you know .I would buy a Part worn. Buy or start looking now as the Euro is losing value against every other currency making imports  more expensive and Brexit means extra import taxes and duties unless you can source up in Ulster .The Russian Gas and Oil thing has opened Europes eyes to the economic dangers of relying on Fossil fuels but we need fossil fuels to make electricity .I dont think EVs are the answer as we cannot make enough Electricity to run Industry our homes and Cars .EVs might go like Walkmans and CDs just be a fashion Fad my best guess is in four years we are pushing Hydrogen Powered Vehicles or Hydrogen Powered or Petrol powered super Hybrids that are at least 50/50 powered .
"War: a massacre of people who don't know each other for the profit of people who know each other but don't massacre each other."

Offline John m

Re: New Car For or against or dont Know
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2022, 08:44:31 am »
As prices soar, our motoring editor walks you through what is happening in the used-car market.

Why are used-car prices so high right now?
There are a number of factors at play in the used-car market at the moment, but one of the most significant is a consequence of the Brexit deal.

If importing a car from the UK, you now have to pay VAT and, in some cases, customs duty of 10pc, making imports far less attractive. As a result, imports are down this year by 34.4pc and almost 60pc when compared to 2019. In addition, the global chip shortage is causing supply issues for new cars. It had been expected that production volumes would start to improve toward the end of the year; however, the war in Ukraine is adding to supply-chain issues.

All of these factors, combined with increasing consumer confidence and high levels of spending post-lockdown, sent the prices of used cars

Can we expect to see prices fall?
It is likely that used-car prices will remain higher than they were pre-Covid-19. However, while the supply problems are not going to be resolved any time soon, the current pressure on personal finances will result in lower demand, which may see prices begin to stabilise.

What does this all mean for me if I am looking to buy a used car?
Prices of all used cars have risen considerably post-Covid-19 so, no matter what you are buying, you will pay more for it now than you would have even 12 months ago. However, not all makes and models have risen to the same extent; soaring fuel prices are increasing demand for electric and hybrid cars, so prices are rising faster in this segment.

My PCP contract is coming to an end. How will used-car prices impact that?
Those nearing the end of a PCP contract are in a good position. A guaranteed minimum future value (GMFV) represents what the car will be worth once the PCP ends. Given the current situation, the actual value of the car is likely to far exceed what it was projected to be when the contract first started. For example, your GMFV might be €10,000, but the car is actually worth €13,000, giving you equity of €3,000.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Top Tip
Used-car prices are also pushing car-rental prices up; car-hire companies are struggling to replace their fleets as car prices increase and manufacturers prioritise customer deliveries.

"War: a massacre of people who don't know each other for the profit of people who know each other but don't massacre each other."

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2022, 09:20:04 am »
There are no cheap EVs.The first few hundred MGs got snapped up on the cheap but the rest will all be a few grand extra.From next year the cheapest MG could easily be 35k before the grants.Not really cheap at all considering you can buy a brand new Dacia for a little over 22k.

Best plan is to do nothing and see where the leccy prices go in the winter.There may well be a softening in the secondhand car market as the interest rates go up and up.There's still time for the NTA to give more extensions.I doubt there's even 5000 suitable new or secondhand vehicles gonna be available when the time comes to change.

Offline John m

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2022, 09:27:30 am »
There are no cheap EVs.The first few hundred MGs got snapped up on the cheap but the rest will all be a few grand extra.From next year the cheapest MG could easily be 35k before the grants.Not really cheap at all considering you can buy a brand new Dacia for a little over 22k.

Best plan is to do nothing and see where the leccy prices go in the winter.There may well be a softening in the secondhand car market as the interest rates go up and up.There's still time for the NTA to give more extensions.I doubt there's even 5000 suitable new or secondhand vehicles gonna be available when the time comes to change.

My insider says Eamo WILL NOT Extend the age limits .They were extended under Covid Emergency Legislation that has now lapsed and if Eamo was to extend the age limit it could be open to Judical Challenge .Why would a Green Minister want to retain Dirty Diesels ?

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2022, 09:36:09 am »
The same reason that they still have diesel ministerial vehicles,diesel cop cars and diesel buses.They need taxis and can't really afford to lose even a few hundred of the 5000 due to lads getting hassled to change.At the slow rate that new entrants are coming in we could still have less taxis on the streets next year than we do now.

Last year they only announced any extensions around September.The NTA will be already checking the numbers to see if drivers are changing early.

Like I said I'll be ready either way.

Offline John m

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2022, 10:04:44 am »
Merch you are a man likes to invest a few quid Im sure you have your opinion for the rest of the Year .Mine is Mr Putin won his war long before he fired the first insult never mind Bullit .I think he cuts off the Gas to Germany then we see European Unity .Germany will look after itself so will France and Britain The rest of the EU will be exposed as Fucking Useless and worthless to the Big Three European Nations .The Euro is almost at Parity with the Dollar  @ 1.015 This is going to have huge impact on recorded Earnings for US companies making coin in Europe they were getting $1.40 for their Euro four years ago that will impact on their profits and our tax take .We have Full employment now we cannot fill low paid jobs .I recon we are going into Stag Flation then Inflation then Recession The 3.50 Latte and 10euro breakfast roll will be gone .Munching on Terramasou on the Pavements of South William or Capel Streets will be a thing of memory .I can see double digit unemployment by late next year 2or 3 thousand less taxies wont make a bit of difference .It will only be a correction in line with other industries that will also see job losses .

The other Option is Germany and France put pressure on Ukrain to do a deal with Vlad now that Bidens Fuck Puppet Boros is no longer around .The Euro News or Daily Mirror version of the Brave Ukranian Fight is bollox those people are being slaughtered while the USA makes hundreds of billions from elevated Gas and Oil prices and US Farmers sell their corn for Gold .Remember every pint of oil sold on the world market is paid for in Dollars .The Dollar has shot up in value making even more profits for Uncle Sam .The fed increasing interest rates sees the Dollar even Stronger .We have two enemies Vlad and Biden a rock and a hard place .They use to say if you remembered the 60s you werent there .I say if you dont remember the 70s you have a lot to learn .

Offline John m

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2022, 11:05:51 am »
I have made a case for No dont buy new .Merch made a fair case for I dont know until he has a bit more information .Anybody want to make the case for buying a New Motor Now ?

Offline Belker

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2022, 11:30:31 am »
Most likely I will go new Corolla hybrid 1.8 petrol automatic in 2027 with a full 10 year license.

Quite likely that the car will see me out but it will be something fer me small fella to have once I'm gone.
I'm not too interested in grants but if they are there at the time then I will take them.
My plan 'as always' is to save in advance and buy with cash to avoid bank interest loan charges.

An EV is not an option fer me as I live in an apartment complex and the thought of spending the first 40 minutes of my shift charging the car somewhere is a no-no. Also the 'Range anxiety' thing would play havoc with my OCD.

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2022, 02:43:28 pm »
Money-saving idea:

Three Scots and three Irishmen are traveling by train to a conference. At the station, the three Irishmen each buy tickets and watch as the three Scots buy only a single ticket. "How are three people going to travel on only one ticket?" asks an Irishman. "Watch and you'll see," answers a Scot. They all board the train. The Irishmen take their respective seats but all three Scots cram into a bathroom and close the door behind them. Shortly after the train has departed, the conductor comes around collecting tickets. He knocks on the bathroom door and says,"Ticket, please." The door opens just a crack and a single arm emerges with a ticket in hand. The conductor takes it and moves on. The Irishmen see this and agree it was quite a clever idea. So after the conference, the Irishmen decide to copy the Scots on the return trip and save some money (being clever with money,and all that). When they get to the station, they buy a single ticket for the return trip. To their astonishment, the Scots don't buy a ticket at all. "How are you going to travel without a ticket?" says one perplexed Irishman. Watch and you'll see," answers a Scot. When they board the train the three Irishmen cram into a bathroom and the three Scots cram into another one nearby. The train departs. Shortly afterwards, one of the Scots leaves his bathroom and walks over to the bathroom where the Irishmen are hiding. He knocks on the door and says, "Ticket, please." 8)

Offline C5

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2022, 05:29:36 pm »
Get a high mileage car, it does the job, you can get a 150,000km plus car for 15,000 or less, 3 or 4 years old. Most people wouldn't touch one thinking its crazy kms and it will be off the road alot, that day is gone. My last car had nearly 200,000 kms 6 years old for 6000k. Its at 520,000 now. I work on about 1.5k or 2k  per year for a car in this game. Its still in great mechanical and cosmetic condition, ill sell it as a cheap runabout for someone.

Show Unread Posts