Author Topic: Agency work  (Read 6510 times)

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
Re: Agency work
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2017, 02:59:12 pm »
There's an app for that.

Offline Theoneandonly

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2017, 12:43:06 pm »
So, could anyone could act as an agent. charge a passenger whatever they like and then pay the driver whatever he says the fare is (plus a tip to make up the difference)?

I guess the agent needs a DO licence, strictly speaking. Not sure how NTA could pursue those who operate outside of it's geographical jurisdiction. I feel an email coming together!

Do they? given that it's a driver/client relationship rather than a "despatched" job.
For example Spanish students, whereby the transfers are part of the overall package including accommodation/education, it would be deemed very unprofessional for the hosts/school to disclose what the client paid.
So, does the driver need to operate a meter if the passenger isn't paying and the fare is pre-paid/pre-agreed, there is no charge to the passenger therefore a blank meter is the correct outcome?
The client in this instance would probably prefer no meter, might even request it (if it's a gift or if there are other considerations at play).

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2017, 02:03:19 pm »
The driver gets the job from an agent so I'd tend to conclude that the agent is acting as a dispatcher and should be licensed. In any event, basic law dictates that the contract is with the person who pays, in this case the agent.

However, regardless of whether the agent is a DO or not the substantial problem seems to be that the driver must run the meter and may not charge more than the metered fare for each journey. Whether the driver can charge for additional services under a separate contract is probably worthy of consideration, for example he may be acting as a minder while the (using the example above) student is in his care - would a minder have to be PSA licensed?, carer might be a better role?

It seems that the regulations don't accommodate the kind of service under consideration very well. Perhaps an Irish solution is required... something along the lines of the contract requiring the driver to collect a chit from (for example) Rathfarnham and then drive to DAP and collect the student. Then the meter would start in Rathfarnham and the fare displayed wouldn't bother the passenger as it'd be the agent's problem, of course the driver is going to discount the end charge to match the fare agreed?

Offline Theoneandonly

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2017, 03:12:56 pm »
Seems ridiculous, a company based in Ireland brings Spanish students in for the summer and uses a local taxi company to transfer said students at an agreed prepaid fare requires a Despatch license?
That is an actual business model rather than a made up one!

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2017, 03:16:16 pm »
Simple solution.For drop offs leave the meter off until you are on the M1.If you see an enforcement officer all they want is proof that you can print something out.Whether it's 8.80 or 58.80 it doesn't matter to them.They only approach the taxi after passengers have left the vehicle in my experience.They wont ask you where you got them from.Customers don't care about the meter just explain you're supposed to have it on...edit....oh just realised you were complaining abut this practice not trying to emulate it..

The legal way is to buy a limo licence.The Superb qualifies AFAIK.No age limits either.But that's kinda like giving in I suppose.I doubt the NTA will change the regs to suit a unique business model as the meter is supposed to protect the passengers from thieving drivers.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 03:48:31 pm by mercenary for hire »

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2017, 03:44:46 pm »
Any of yis ever get hailo jobs from a middle aged Dublin woman with blonde hair who puts foreign students in the car at the departure ramp on T1 to go into town?Seemed like she had done it before,every efficient.Wonder if it's an agency creaming off the top using app drivers.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2017, 04:39:33 pm »
Yes but, to me, the middle aged woman was a young girl.

Show Unread Posts