Author Topic: mytaxi Policy Change - PUC added to fares  (Read 44457 times)

Offline Taxi driver42

Re: mytaxi Policy Change - PUC added to fares
« Reply #135 on: September 25, 2017, 10:00:30 am »
Deliveroo lads on mopeds are making 500 to 600 a week I hear
Its later work than couriers
I did bike work loved it in summer best job ever
Id say the restrictions on smoking weed hit that business too lol
Very dangerous in winter
Insurance starting out is under 2k
Still have the bros and a 125 in shed

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #136 on: September 25, 2017, 10:20:29 am »
It sounds alright when ya compare it to the overheads driving a cab.I'll keep going with the taxi but only as long as they don't flood the kip again.

The Liffey Lip

« Reply #137 on: September 25, 2017, 11:08:06 am »
Mercenary, can you do the new test on a moped though? As in if you have an A provisional and you want to do the test I thought you could only od it on a manual model. I think most of these guys are riding around on mopeds over 50cc have to do the test on a manual.

« Reply #138 on: September 25, 2017, 11:34:20 am »
I could be wrong but the manual/auto thing isn't a factor on bikes like the way car licences have it.If yer doing the test it must be on a manual motorbike.And if yer going for it I'd advise you to do it on a 250cc manual as your would eventually be unrestricted after 2 years to drive any capacity bike.If you do it on a 125 yer restricted to a sub 33bhp bike.

If yer brand new you need to do so many ours of madatory training...all money.Clear as mud??

The Liffey Lip

« Reply #139 on: September 25, 2017, 11:38:56 am »
Ah no,  that's clear. I rode bikes for yrs on and off but never did the test. I know it's changed now and some fellow in Kawasaki near the Longmiler told me that they think older lads who can ride but never did the test are better off going straight for the full A test, as in 1000cc etc because the test is the same length etc. Just wondering about some of these lads being insured on mopeds over 50cc. You can't do the test until after 2 yrs of proven riding.

« Reply #140 on: September 25, 2017, 11:43:24 am »
I made the mistake years ago of passing it on a 125 then had to sit it again on a 600.Exact same test back then.Just drive fast enough so the tester behind ya in the car can't keep up and see your mistakes.Piece of piss.

The Liffey Lip

« Reply #141 on: September 25, 2017, 11:47:23 am »
Maybe but I came off a 650 V-Strom on a roundabout before. Lot to be said for proper training. Not talking about couriers as they are doing it day in and day out so and most are on lower cc's for fuel etc. Frightening and sobering experience...thought I was Carl Fogarty...gobshite.

« Reply #142 on: September 25, 2017, 01:24:45 pm »
Those big trials/tourer bikes don't have proper road tyres.Get yerself some supermoto wheels/tyres .Did
 something similar with the misus on the back when we hit some black ice.Low speed so just some bruises.

Yeah ya get a fright but still nothing that will make ya feel alive more than driving a bike.Cheaper than a Ferrari everytime.

The test it doesn't teach you how to be Valentino Rossi but you can still have fun if you take it handy.You might find you have a better time driving the smaller bike to it's limits than driving the big bike in traffic.I know it sounds a bit daft.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 01:28:22 pm by mercenary for hire »

Offline Scooterman

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #143 on: September 25, 2017, 02:22:28 pm »
None  of the  pizzas bike riders have the right ins if you drive a bike check the small print  no courier of food  delivers only social and domasic use only   They are not insured......

« Reply #144 on: September 25, 2017, 02:33:47 pm »
You can buy it though.I The traffic Corp used to regularly summons lads to court for no insurance if it wasn't specifically stated on the policy.

Actually I forgot was summoned before for not having the right insurance when I turned up it was struck out because the copper didn't show.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #145 on: September 25, 2017, 03:07:49 pm »
What did the copper not showing cost you?

« Reply #146 on: September 25, 2017, 03:31:30 pm »
Nothing.The copper did me a favour for free I think.Back then being a fellow biker got me away with more than being a lowly taxi driver.Bikers cops were always a bit more lenient to couriers.One chap even allowed be to drive on with a bald tyre once.Ya wouldn't get that VIP treatment in the cab.

Offline Taxi driver42

« Reply #147 on: September 25, 2017, 06:44:28 pm »
Bikes are very dangerous in winter
I did some crazy things on a bike
My son is 22 and got a job as a programmer in town and the travel is killing him to east wall at 8
He only asked me for a bike last week I said no even though ive a 125 a bros and a moped in shed doing nothing
Id rather let them rot than go to his funeral to too dangerous unless you know what ur doing

Offline Lizzzy

« Reply #148 on: September 25, 2017, 08:03:28 pm »
Nothing.The copper did me a favour for free I think.Back then being a fellow biker got me away with more than being a lowly taxi driver.Bikers cops were always a bit more lenient to couriers.One chap even allowed be to drive on with a bald tyre once.Ya wouldn't get that VIP treatment in the cab.

NO, he would have done you a favour, if he gave you ticket for having a bald tyre.
You wouldn't be a danger on the road now!

« Reply #149 on: September 25, 2017, 08:10:33 pm »
I'm all legal now except for the out of date plasters in the kit and the faded EN3 sign on the extinguisher.I'm guessing with a bald tyre on the bike he thought I was only a danger to myself.Lucky he didn't breathalyse me that day!

Show Unread Posts