Author Topic: Is it time to scrap the app  (Read 9221 times)

Offline Taxi driver42

Re: Is it time to scrap the app
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2017, 04:37:32 pm »
The problem is the apps and radio peoples are short peak times why?
Because we like full fare work when its busy
Looking at mtaxi poland it seem s to be working punters love it
Maybe we could make a few quid from it and do what we always do

Switch it off when its busy lol
?

Offline watty

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2017, 05:48:19 pm »
All the MyTaxi bonuses are targeted at the night shift so presumeably that's where *their* driver shortages are.  Why not lobby to stagger the closing times of pubs and clubs instead?  Otherwise you'll have 1000's of drivers with nothing to do outside of those few hours?

Also, I wonder why they picked Poland as the trial run for the version of their software?

Offline watty

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2017, 05:52:45 pm »
They need a good PR guru if they had 50K it would be better spent in my pocket than on driver Bonusus .I was getting my meter done yesterday and had a mug of Tea with a Nigerian Driver he told me hundreds of African drivers have left and the reason why ?
Ok, I'll bite.  Why did hundreds of African drivers leave?

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2017, 06:43:40 pm »
The bonuses help spread the "problem" to the streets. We really need to consider how much of a problem it is, punters queuing for an hour or two at peak times isn't such a big deal. Staggering pub closing times could be counter productive. Our culture dictates that punters would move from pub to pub until all 2.3 million end up queuing to get into the only one still open. Naturally, some would be too full to stagger so they'd be looking for taxis along the way...

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2017, 06:45:19 pm »

The €50,000 question!

john m

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2017, 06:55:57 pm »

The €50,000 question!

Your far to clever for this game Rodent .

john m

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2017, 07:19:00 pm »
Hi John,

Following recent Web Summit press coverage we’ve had a few enquiries from drivers asking about the licensed taxi pooling feature currently in testing in Warsaw, Poland.

We’d like to reassure drivers that this pooling feature is not “ridesharing”. It is fully licensed taxi drivers in Warsaw picking up multiple passengers travelling in a similar direction and sharing the fare through the mytaxi app.

Testing is in the early stages in Poland and feedback from both passengers and drivers there has been extremely positive.

There are no immediate plans to launch this service in Ireland - before making a decision whether this service will be suitable for the Irish market, we will of course consult with drivers to get your opinion in advance. 

I gave my opinion when I spoke to Tim this morning .I dont believe ride pooling is suitable for Dublin .He did make some interesting observations regarding availability at peak times and customers waiting .He applied a sensible business logic and wondered why CARS  dont work when there is plenty of work available .If you were to take a truly business view you would have a Cosy on your vehicle when you are not driving it you have already paid for the vehicle and as a business it makes no sense parking up and loosing revenue .If we were to run our taxi as a business we would drive the wheels off of it until we exhausted all the capital allowances then get a new one .

As most of you know I truly believe we will get rideshare in the future and the fact that passengers have to wait for a taxi will be used as a pretext for its introduction so there in lies the conundrum .Does the taxi industry respond to the demand or do we contribute to the problem opening up the doors to a free for all rideshare .

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2017, 07:54:16 pm »
I wouldn't rent out my car to another driver because I don't trust someone else enough to take care of it the way I do.I'd rather park it up and sleep well at night.It owes me nothing.If there's two or three Muppets driving it to near death every shift it will break more often.We're not taking about Toyota Carinas here.New cars equal more problems.

John yer the only one who thought it was anything to do with rideshare BTW.Uber were trialing this in Dublin years ago with taxis.It's just more headline grabbing to keep them in the papers.Very Ryanair altogether.

By the way every city has taxi shortages at closing time.It's normal.When I'm abroad I'm the last out of the bar and it's expected that the taxis will be scarce.10000 people pressing an app is not the same as 10000 folks getting stranded.

john m

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2017, 08:06:01 pm »
if you share the ride its ridesharing not the UBER definition of ridesharing which is simply a citizen sharing their car with another citizen for reward .IF and its a BIG IF this was allowed then most drivers would get a van and we would have a minibus service to replace the taxi service .

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2017, 08:10:05 pm »
Not the same thing....if you could afford a van you'd be out in the Airport with Marto robbing the tourists...probably.

Offline Taxi driver42

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2017, 08:27:14 pm »
Rideshare biggest problem will be insurance here
I believe it will happen sooner or later

john m

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2017, 08:41:14 pm »
Insurance is a huge issue but safety is a bigger issue Martha gets into a taxi and nodger and darren jump in beside her she feels unsafe decides to abandon the app for a street hail or a rank job .Cant see it working in Dublin but down the country where people know each other who knows .

Offline Taxi driver42

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2017, 11:02:17 pm »
Of it work s in poland woth vodka as a stable diet there it will work here

Offline Cool Boola

• B me
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2017, 04:41:49 am »
I work for me.
Dis an Dat Im not a rat

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2017, 02:03:12 pm »
Bumpy...
I see Today FM and Spin are putting taxi sharing on the news today despite the email sent to drivers saying the opposite.

Show Unread Posts