Author Topic: Self Driving taxis  (Read 6556 times)

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
Re: Self Driving taxis
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2018, 07:23:49 pm »
I agree and it was one of the USP that I advocated with eircab.com, (on hold now, Whistle got there first, want to give them a chance as they claim to have same objective). The value of the data owned by a dominant taxi driver app may soften the blow financially at some point in the future if autonomous taxis do takeover.

It'd need to be global and not developed with Google tech. Investing a hedge fund in Google/Waymo might make more sense.

Offline U Wha

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2018, 07:31:40 pm »
I agree and it was one of the USP that I advocated with eircab.com, (on hold now, Whistle got there first, want to give them a chance as they claim to have same objective). The value of the data owned by a dominant taxi driver app may soften the blow financially at some point in the future if autonomous taxis do takeover.

It'd need to be global and not developed with Google tech. Investing a hedge fund in Google/Waymo might make more sense.

I agree. eircab.com would have the potential to be global if it is proven here. if eircab developed its own unique platform it could sell/lease it to other driver orgnaisations across the world.  Also if members wanted they could plan for the future, decide to generate a profit and invest that in the Google/Waymo hedge fund.
Lots of ways to do it.

john m

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2018, 12:05:20 am »
Dont worry about it Connor they will never catch on.Companies will develop them then like Concord they will learn that nobody wants them Daimler built the Vayron which is the best car ever made but too expensive for the mass market,it was just an exercise in proving it could be done and some of the tech will go into the VW Van  .All the tec will be developed and we will have automatic breaking and automatic speed restrictions and automatic destination finder and possibly cruise control that encompasses all of the above but that is as far as it will go we will never take the man out of the car just like we will never take the pilot out of the plane and the reason is simple if we do then we actually accept that we are inept and Freud dealt with that subject when he wrote of the Ego .If you want a microcosmic example of this at play just look at the amount of taxi drivers who wont use an app or satnav in the belief that the job can only be done the old way of knowing every street and boreen and local knowledge of where the events are happening ,or go into any Irish kitchen there is a microwave for putting cookbooks or stuff on top of but the dinner is still cooked in the oven .When the Microwave was invented they said it would do away with the oven .

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2018, 12:15:45 am »
A microwave is only good for makin popcorn...and that's not a euphemism!!

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2018, 12:12:46 pm »
I disagree, Hal. The microwave is perfect for softening butter taken straight from the fridge - 5 secs on full power, turn, then another 5 secs = perfectly spreadable. It's also quite good at releasing flavour from mushrooms - if you don't have time to air dry them, slice and nuke on full power with a knob of butter for 45 seconds. To a lesser extent they are handy for reheating dinners - if I'm going to the pub I often make an extra plate for supper and nuke it when I come home full, generally a healthier alternative to buying half the contents of the chipper or Chinese.

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2018, 12:17:59 pm »
Butter...yuk!!

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2018, 12:22:04 pm »
Fuck it, I'm gonna nuke myself a bag of popcorn now... haven't done that for ages.

john m

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2018, 12:38:42 pm »
Driverless cars operated by some sort of radio waves from space .You cant get RTE clear on Dame Street and dont get me started on BBC radio 4

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2018, 12:49:16 pm »
The day you start on BBC4 is the day I retune my wireless.

john m

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2018, 12:53:38 pm »
The day you start on BBC4 is the day I retune my wireless.

Are you a 4 listener ?Genders question time can be interesting for the info on Dahlias and early blooming herbaceous border plants .

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2018, 12:57:30 pm »
Sometimes knock it on when I've students going to Harcourt St so I can explain that they may listen to Twist 103 or whatever they like when they are grown ups with their own motor cars.

Show Unread Posts