Author Topic: Speed limits extended  (Read 13731 times)

Offline Octavia1

• Ide rather be a poor master than a rich servant
Re: Speed limits extended
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2018, 04:13:51 pm »
I believe the speed limits are spot on around the city of Dublin apart from a couple of Country lanes that say 80....

The problem is attitudes...

Talkin to a legal person  last week....
He made this statement....
" the speed limits are unreasonable "
I spluttered half a pint Guinness all over him wen I heard that.....
I says to him....." would ya tell that to a judge"?
All he'll broke loose....
So I said " Would yu tell the judge the law is unreasonable "?
The conversation started about the price of insurance.....
There has been a significant amount of pedestrian and cyclists killed by taxis in the last 10 years......
Why....? 
Simples
speeding....

Ide rather be a poor master than a rich servant

dalymount

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2018, 04:32:25 pm »
octy most people would not have a problem with speed vans if it was really about speeding .in fact most people would actually subscribe to the policies adopted to try and stamp it out. but the fact is, it is not about speeding, it is purely a money making racket by the dept of justice.
can you explain why these vans are placed in locations where there is no history of accidents, but it is easy to catch speeding motorists ? can you further explain why these vans are placed in areas where the speed limit suddendly drops from 80 to 60 , and the vanis just inside the 60 zone ?

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2018, 05:11:17 pm »
If the van is just inside the 60 zone it's camera is most likely focussed within the 80 zone.

There's a blatantly simple way to get the better of the enforcers - obey the law.

Offline Octavia1

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2018, 06:13:48 pm »
If the van is just inside the 60 zone it's camera is most likely focussed within the 80 zone.

There's a blatantly simple way to get the better of the enforcers - obey the law.
Agree 100 % ratti..... Happened to me on Nassau Street we'r it goes from 30 to 50.... Van parked behind a bus (van  on the footpath)in the 50 zone done for over 30....
Then quashed.....

But the speed limits and the misuse of speed vans by rogue operators is two entirely different things

Offline Vikkiz

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2018, 10:30:22 pm »
I speed all the time. Fuck all enforcement and when there is one of the many WhatsApp or groups will notify me where I will slow down

Oh and I’ve no points btw

Offline silverbullet

• You don't want to do it like that
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2018, 12:38:10 am »
I believe the speed limits are spot on around the city of Dublin apart from a couple of Country lanes that say 80....

The problem is attitudes...

Talkin to a legal person  last week....
He made this statement....
" the speed limits are unreasonable "
I spluttered half a pint Guinness all over him wen I heard that.....
I says to him....." would ya tell that to a judge"?
All he'll broke loose....
So I said " Would yu tell the judge the law is unreasonable "?
The conversation started about the price of insurance.....
There has been a significant amount of pedestrian and cyclists killed by taxis in the last 10 years......
Why....? 
Simples
speeding....

http://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-cyclist-death-road-crash-3304050-Mar2017/

The first one to cite "Justifiable Homicide" get's a slap. 8)

Offline Octavia1

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2018, 12:44:07 am »
I speed all the time. Fuck all enforcement and when there is one of the many WhatsApp or groups will notify me where I will slow down

Well done vivi
https://youtu.be/OgtQj8O92eI

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2018, 12:48:53 am »

Well done vivi
Stroke of luck there are no trees to slow you down!! 8)

Offline Belker

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2018, 01:24:07 pm »
A 12 minute journey in 6 minutes?

It's all great fun 'till lives are lost or insurance premiums are tripled.

At 7am of a Sunday morning, ya can take a few chances to accomodate customers,
the roads are empty and a lorra customers take the extra few minutes in de leaba
after a Saturday night.

My favourite jobs are 'Medical emergency jobs' and I have had 3 recently, One to
Southdoc, One to CUH A&E and One to CUH Maternity, ya can breeze through lights,
and break speed limits at will and ya can't be prosecuted if'n it's a Medical emergency !

john m

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2018, 01:34:52 pm »
Satins Wheelbarrow is in gor the NCT next Friday it will fail but if it passes the Emissions Ill fix the mechanicals and hold on to it till Christmas .Mechanic recons the emissions problem with Diesels is that they asre not designed for City driving they need a good motorway run to clear out the soot .What effect will the increase in the 30kph speed limit have on the emissions and fuel economy .Anybody do their NCT recently and how did they get on with emissions .

Offline Belker

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2018, 02:29:15 pm »

Well done vivi

Fook !  I thought that was a Clash original !

Offline Belker

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2018, 02:59:50 pm »
....can you explain why these vans are placed in locations where there is no history of accidents,....

That is not entirely true DM, when the Safety camera vans were first introduced on to our roads about 8 years ago, there was a provision at that time that Safety vans only operated OVERTLY on roads where a Fatal traffic accident had occurred.
That was slightly modified in May 2016, but still ALL safety camera vans must operate Overtly and all zones are shown to the public.

https://www.garda.ie/en/Roads-Policing/Safety-Cameras/

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2018, 05:23:19 pm »
They even have flashing orange lights on the roof in some locations.

Offline watty

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2018, 05:48:22 pm »
Satins Wheelbarrow is in gor the NCT next Friday it will fail but if it passes the Emissions Ill fix the mechanicals and hold on to it till Christmas .Mechanic recons the emissions problem with Diesels is that they asre not designed for City driving they need a good motorway run to clear out the soot .What effect will the increase in the 30kph speed limit have on the emissions and fuel economy .Anybody do their NCT recently and how did they get on with emissions .

07 Octavia diesel.  Always had trouble with emmissions.  One year, they said my score was so high the machine couldn't read it!  No dpf, thankfully!

1. Last year bought some 'cleaner' stuff for about €20.  Run the tank to almost empty and add in this stuff.  Think my emmissions were close to zero.  Might be too aggressive for regular use. 

2. This year, I did the NCT around Mar.  I was using dipethane when I thought about it.  Also did about 3 x 40min motorway trips with rev counter around 3,000 rpm.  Added a bit of petrol as well (~5% dilution).  Got a score of around 1 or 1.5 and the limit is 3.0 for cars that old (I think).

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2018, 08:44:28 pm »
Add a touch of Dipetane, or Petrol, if you're feeling extravagant. Drive on the M50 in third gear at about 45/50 MPH  for about 10 minutes, Hey Presto...Emission pass. 8)

Show Unread Posts