Author Topic: Brexit for dummies  (Read 38893 times)

Offline Belker

Re: Brexit for dummies
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2018, 06:18:18 am »
Listen to the words of the poem recited by Luke Kelly.for what died the sons of Roisen

For What Died the Sons of Róisín, was it fame?
    For What Died the Sons of Róisín, was it fame?
    For what flowed Irelands blood in rivers,
    That began when Brian chased the Dane,
    And did not cease nor has not ceased,
    With the brave sons of ´16,
    For what died the sons of Róisín, was it fame?

For What Died the Sons of Róisín, was it greed?
    Was it greed that drove Wolfe Tone to a paupers death in a cell of cold wet stone?
    Will German, French or Dutch inscribe the epitaph of Emmet?
    When we have sold enough of Ireland to be but strangers in it.

To whom do we owe our allegiance today?
    To those brave men who fought and died that Róisín live again with pride?
    Her sons at home to work and sing,
    Her youth to dance and make her valleys ring,
    Or the faceless men who for Mark and Dollar,
    Betray her to the highest bidder,

For what suffer our patriots today?
    They have a language problem, so they say,
    How to write “No Trespass” must grieve their heart full sore,
    We got rid of one strange language now we are faced with many, many more,

Hear Luke Kelly recite this verse on YouTube;

dalymount

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2018, 07:49:52 am »
I was talking to Jimmy Kelly (Lukes brother ) a few years ago,and we both reckoned Lukes ability to recite poetry was outstanding

The Liffey Lip

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2018, 08:34:29 am »
Well, the lads holed up in Boland's Mills and those lying unloved in Glasnevin would agree with those sentiments. I don't know who said it but the Vietnam Vets would concur, I'd say........"No country is worth dying for...you'll be soon forgotten".

The Liffey Lip

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2018, 08:53:56 am »
Simple explanation .The Brits think if they are out of the EU that they will do better economically as they can do trade deals with the rest of the world on their terms and not the EUs .But the problem is they want to continue doing tax free trade with the rest of the EU without paying the entry fee or sticking to the rules .The EU are going to Crucify Britain ,if they let them do what they want then ,Germany and France and Italy will also leave .When the Brits leave we are fucked more than half of our food and drink exports go to Britain and a lot passes through Briton .So after the Brits leave the WTO rules apply to them that means they have to pay and charge duty on imports and exports so Irish milk and meat will be to expensive so British Farmers will grow more to fill the gap .This will apply to all sorts of stuff if we import from the UK we will have to charge them the WTO tarriff so food and anything we import from them will be more expensive .IF or WHEN the Brits leave  if its a hard Brexit we will be bankrupt in three months unless the ECB or IMF bail us out AGAIN.

The Times might agree.........

Ireland is the biggest “tax haven” in the world used by multinationals to shelter profits, according to a new study by economists from the United States and Denmark.

The research from academics at the University California, Berkeley and the University of Copenhagen estimates that foreign multinationals shifted $106 billion (€90 billion) of corporate profits to Ireland in 2015.

This was more than all of the islands of the Caribbean combined ($97 billion/€83 billion), and well ahead of Singapore ($70 billion/€60 billion), Switzerland ($58 billion/€49 billion) and the Netherlands ($57 billion/€48 billion), according to the researchers.

“By our estimates, Ireland is the number one shifting destination,” the paper states.

The Department of Finance last night rejected as “overly simplistic” much of the findings made in relation to the Republic in the paper – The Missing Profits of Nations – authored by economists Gabriel Zucman, Thomas Torslov and Ludvig Wier. The department also rejected the notion that the Republic is a tax haven.

The research paper estimates that $1.7 trillion (€1.45 trillion) of foreign profits were made by multinationals, primarily from the US, in 2015 and that almost 40 per cent of this total was shifted to tax havens.

US multinationals
The authors defined “tax haven” using a list of nations drawn up in 1993 by prominent US tax academics, James Hines and Eric Rice. They added Belgium and the Netherlands to the 1993 list.

The researchers homed in on the high level of profits declared in the State by US multinationals, relative to their numbers of employees here. The paper claims US companies declare $8 of profit in the Republic for every $1 spent here on wages.

This, the authors say, is about 16 times the average for “non tax havens”. They claim the apparently turbo-charged profitability-per-head in the State is down to the huge volume of profits shifted to this jurisdiction from abroad.

The research estimates that profit shifting by multinationals costs tax authorities globally about $200 billion (€170 billion), and reduces by 20 per cent the taxes paid in the European Union by multinationals.

The paper considers the relatively high share of national income in Ireland attributed to corporate tax, which the authors put at more than 5 per cent in 2015, behind Malta at 8 per cent and Luxembourg at 7 per cent.

“Until the 1990s, Ireland used to collect relatively little corporate tax revenue, about 1.5 per cent to 2 per cent of national income – significantly less than the US,” the paper says.

“Then, as profit shifting surged, so did tax collection: since the mid 1990s, Ireland has collected significantly more corporate tax revenue (as a fraction of national income) than the US – about twice as much in 2015.”

Overly simplistic
The Department of Finance last night said “it is overly simplistic and totally inaccurate to simply examine the number of employees in a country and assert what amounts of corporate tax should be paid in each country on that basis”.

“The concept of value creation considers a much wider range of factors and looks at all types of activity and assets that create value in a business,” the department said.

“Ireland is not a ‘tax haven’ and does not meet any of the international standards for being considered such,” the department said.

The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), an intergovernmental club for rich countries, says Ireland does not meet the definition of a tax haven.

OECD officials have said tax havens are countries with “a zero tax rate, no transparency or exchange of information, and [where multinationals have] no real operations on the ground”.

Speaking in Germany this week, former Greek finance minister Yanis Varoufakis claimed Ireland was a tax haven “free-riding” on the rest of Europe.

john m

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2018, 02:10:37 pm »
Lip a lot of people dont understand the Brits always took our side in EU debates without them we are fucked .Macron wull butt fuck Leo but not in a nice way .

Offline Taxi driver42

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2018, 02:29:43 pm »
Ireland is a tax haven
But what they gonna do about it?

john m

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2018, 03:09:51 pm »
Ireland is a tax haven

The UK are a bigger tax haven and center for money laundering they always had our back but now the EU especially the French are going to play the unity card .Listen Leo we stood with you united against the UK over the border issue now you must reciprocate and stand as one with the rest of the EU with a unified corporate tax rate .If you dont then we will come after you with billions of Euro in fines .The IRISH ARE THIEVING LOWLIFE TAX CHEATING SCUM and what pisses the Rest of Europe off is we dont even keep the money we robbed we only enable the most profitable companies on earth to fill their pockets .
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 03:23:24 pm by john m »

dalymount

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2018, 03:21:45 pm »
I hope they screw us because if they do,then the money people might see no great benefit in remaining part of that dictatorship called the EU ,,and I might just get my wish of leave leave leave, and the return of the Irish national identity ,and return of soverignty to our people and most of all control of our borders

john m

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2018, 03:35:27 pm »
I hope they screw us because if they do,then the money people might see no great benefit in remaining part of that dictatorship called the EU ,,and I might just get my wish of leave leave leave, and the return of the Irish national identity ,and return of soverignty to our people and most of all control of our borders

What national identity ?Turf burning drunken debauchery .Without the EU we would be poorer than most other post colonial islands like Haiti.Dominican Republic ,Cuba we dont even have Sun .We only prosper because of our membership of the EU Befor we joined the EU our leading export was our people .Probably explains a lot all the clever ones left and the dummies that were left ran the government and the banks and  ran the country  into the ground .If I was Taoiseach I would have a word with Tessy May and see if we defaulted on our ECB loans would Tessy pay off the rest and loan us a few quid to keep the country running if we left with them .That would solve their border issue .A Hard Brexit and the EU putting in the boot and Donny T threatening tarriffs on US companies who manufacture outside the States and we will be back in the Chapel praying that the potato harvest dosent fail again ,we will be bolloxed .Irish identity is we are sucking parasites dependent on other peoples good will .We only make sandwiches ,Shite and Guinness a bit of meat and a Rock Band .Look around your house how many things in your home are Irish made look in your fridge how much of your food is irish produced .

dalymount

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2018, 03:47:46 pm »
John I said it before .I agree from a economic point of view that you are right,but none of those economic benefits mean more to me then to feel Irish again.I am sick of hearing foreign voices everywhere I go.im sick of looking at foreigners being housed,while our own lie in doorways,im sick of competing for my living with people who,in some cases cannot even speak English,and none of whom are properly vetted,im sick of free speech being curtailed for fear of being chastised by the PC brigade etc etc

john m

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2018, 03:52:53 pm »
Dollymount .Do you refuse to carry non Irish passengers ?

dalymount

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2018, 03:59:56 pm »
No ,but that is another feature of the Irish.with an Irishman,and particularly a Dubliner,your sure of a tip,or being told to keep the change.not so with foreigners.those misarable bastards wait for every cent of change,yet they expect tips when working in their restraunts

Offline SClass

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2018, 06:19:57 pm »
A barrel of oil is worth about $70
The same barrel is worth about €2,600 if it was filled with white fish fillet
We gave away billions upon billions of our fish stock, which are now in danger of getting completely wiped out.
From grossly overfishing by  greedy unscrupulous EU trawlers breaking every rule in the book.
A total free for all out there what used to be our fishing grounds.
No one out there to police regulation.
Exit the EU cesspit Now.

Offline Dr. Martin Gooter Bling

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2018, 07:43:31 pm »
don't forget about the half trillion euros worth of oil and gas the arseholes running this country gave away for free.
http://www.shelltosea.com/content/gas-oil-robbery

The Liffey Lip

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2018, 08:19:09 pm »
Ireland is a tax haven

The UK are a bigger tax haven and center for money laundering they always had our back but now the EU especially the French are going to play the unity card .Listen Leo we stood with you united against the UK over the border issue now you must reciprocate and stand as one with the rest of the EU with a unified corporate tax rate .If you dont then we will come after you with billions of Euro in fines .The IRISH ARE THIEVING LOWLIFE TAX CHEATING SCUM and what pisses the Rest of Europe off is we dont even keep the money we robbed we only enable the most profitable companies on earth to fill their pockets .

Show Unread Posts