Author Topic: Dash Cams  (Read 2299 times)

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
Dash Cams
« on: November 14, 2018, 01:09:34 pm »
https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/drivers-who-install-dash-cams-will-now-get-insurance-discount-37526616.html

Drivers who install dash cams will now get insurance discount

Move an attempt to cut down on fraudulent claims

Charlie Weston 
November 14 2018 2:30 AM

Motorists who are prepared to use a dash cam in their car will be given a discount on their insurance.
The move by Axa is part of a plan to cut down on fraudulent injury claims.

It comes after plans by the Garda to target uninsured drivers were welcomed by the Road Safety Authority.

Axa Ireland is offering motorists discounts of 10pc on their cover if they fit dash cams to their cars. The insurer has partnered with camera company Nextbase in the hope the use of the technology will make it easier to establish liability in the event of a crash.

Nextbase will also match this with a 10pc discount on its dash cams bought in retailers Halfords, DID, Powercity, Expert Electrical, Micksgarage.com, Euronics Electrical, Soundstore and Sam McCauley nationwide.

Axa said the use of a dash-board camera could help protect a customer's no-claims discount after a non-fault collision.

"Dash cam footage can be crucial in establishing who was at fault as the camera doesn't lie," the insurer said.

Nextbase dash cams cost between €69.99 and €299.99.

Axa director Antoinette McDonald said: "Dash cams offer a great way for drivers to get extra peace of mind when they are on the road and can be helpful to resolve issues when liability is disputed."

There are claims that in-car cameras improve the driving habits of motorists.

A study by the RAC in the UK found that 25pc of drivers believe that fitting a dash cam will improve their driving.

Some seven out of 10 of those who have had an accident have said that a dash cam would have been useful in settling the liability claim.

Meanwhile, the Road Safety Authority has welcomed the fact gardaí will soon be able to use hand-held devices to scan vehicles and check if they are insured.

Chief executive of the authority Moyagh Murdock said: "There is generally a small cohort of people out there who are serial offenders in a number of areas of road traffic legislation.

"I think this is a very welcome move and I hope that An Garda Síochána gets the correct and appropriate resourcing for it and that the funding and resources are there to give all gardaí a hand-held device to do this."

The new system is set to be up and running by the end of the year. The devices will be linked to the new national database of cars and insurance cover.

Insurance companies have been providing gardaí with lists of insured and uninsured vehicles which are being loaded on to the Garda automatic number plate recognition system.

Initial testing of the system has been completed and it is hoped it will be rolled out by the end of the year.

It will see gardaí able to use hand-held devises to scan a number plate to see if a vehicle is insured when they pull over a car on the road.

The move is an attempt to clamp down on the numbers taking to the roads without insurance. Experts said the use of the technology will mean uninsured drivers will have nowhere to hide.

It is estimated there are around 150,000 uninsured drivers.

If it works to reduce the number of uninsured drivers the measure is expected to lead to demands from drivers that insurers cut premiums.

Motorists who pay for insurance have to fund pay-outs for accidents caused by uninsured drivers through the Motor Insurers' Bureau of Ireland.

Irish Independent

Offline mercenary for hire

Re: Dash Cams
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 01:12:26 pm »
I don't really wanna install pricey equipment just to claw back some of the unexplained premium increases.

john m

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 02:16:30 pm »
  PLOD:Your honour I arrested the accused speeding on Cork Street and conveyed him to the new barracks on the corner of KevinStreet and Bride Street where I charged him with having no Insurance and Speeding .

WIG :NO INSURANCE in a Taxi this is a serious offence and I am minded to impose a jail sentence

SCUT:Your worshipness I have insurance with Pierces and AXA your worshipness .

PLOD :Your honour one of the conditions of SCUTS insurance is that he has a camera fitted when I asked SCUT to hand over the camera to assertain if he was speeding he told me to kiss his bollox that the camera was not working and this violates his insurance .

WIG:SCUT did you tell the Garda to kiss your bollox ?where you are going there will be plenty of bollok kissing .4  month for having no valid insurance .Next Case

PLOD :Your honour I arrested The Late Big Dommos daughters kids kid for claiming four Dole payments .

WIG: Hello Sandra how is your uncle Brian I gave him 4 months last week for selling smuggled tobacco .

Remember a camera can convict you as easily as vindicate you if its part of your insurance you have no discression to use or not use the film .
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 02:22:44 pm by john m »

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 04:03:23 pm »
It'd be a warranty rather than a condition. The judge might consider proportionality i.e. if having the camera attracted a discount of 6.37% the accused would be deemed to be 93.63% insured so on balance no offence would have been committed.

john m

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 04:16:17 pm »
Refusal to hand over the camera may be an offence of tampering with evidence .

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 04:20:02 pm »
Someone posted on here some time back that footage couldn't be used in evidence cos of data protection or something like that.....i think it was......ermy!!

The Liffey Lip

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 05:03:34 pm »
Someone posted on here some time back that footage couldn't be used in evidence cos of data protection or something like that.....i think it was......ermy!!

Indubitably.

Offline Dr. Martin Gooter Bling

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 05:09:10 pm »
you can use camera footage but you have to apply to the Data Protection Agency.

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 05:12:41 pm »
John's legal team have no doubt exhausted all avenues with regard to shutting him up!!

john m

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 05:39:01 pm »

im sure the insurance companies will get the legals right probably going to use the same system that was suggested for taxies where the data is held off site and only they will have access .im sure they have some sort of legal right to view the film .There are issues to using cctv in court if it cannot he proven that it has not been altered ,the way they do this is by having an in vision clock the same clock could be used to calculate speed .

Show Unread Posts