Author Topic: Bring your hand sanitiser.  (Read 3112 times)

The Liffey Lip

Bring your hand sanitiser.
« on: November 30, 2018, 11:19:07 am »
Traces of faeces and bacteria that can cause blood poisoning and toxic shock syndrome have been found on every single McDonald’s touchscreen tested as part of a London Metropolitan University study.

Samples were taken from the new touchscreen machines that have been rolled out at restaurants across the UK – and every single one of them had coliforms.

Senior lecturer in microbiology at London Metropolitan University Dr Paul Matawele said: ‘We were all surprised how much gut and faecal bacteria there was on the touchscreen machines. These cause the kind of infections that people pick up in hospitals.

‘For instance Enterococcus faecalis is part of the flora of gastrointestinal tracts of healthy humans and other mammals. It is notorious in hospitals for causing hospital acquired infections.’

Unsuspecting diners choose their food on the touchscreens then head to the server to pick up their burgers more often than not without washing their hands.

Every McDonald’s screen that was swabbed was found to have poo bacteria on them
Metro reports:

A screen at one branch was found to have staphylococcus, a bacteria that can cause blood poisoning and toxic shock syndrome. Dr Matawele said: ‘Seeing Staphylococcus on these machines is worrying because it is so contagious.

‘It starts around people’s noses, if they touch their nose with their fingers and then transfer it to the touchscreen someone else will get it, and if they have an open cut which it gets into, then it can be dangerous.

‘There is a lot of worries at the moment that staphylococcus is becoming resistant to antibiotics. However, it is still really dangerous in places like Africa where it can cause toxic shock.’

The machines have been rolled out in McDonald’s across the country
Metro’s study with the university’s school of human sciences involved swabs taken from eight McDonald’s restaurants. Six in London and two in Birmingham.

Listeria bacteria was found in Oxford Street and Holloway Road branches. It can cause listeriosis which can lead to miscarriages and stillbirths in pregnant women.

Dr Matewele said: ‘Listeria is another rare bacterium we were shocked to find on touchscreen machines as again this can be very contagious and a problem for those with a weak immune system.’

Three quarters of the screens swabbed showed traces of the bacteria proteus.

Dr. Paul Matewele, microbiology and immunology expert, was shocked at the findings
Dr Matewele said: ‘Proteus can be found in human and animal faeces. It is also widely distributed in soil. It can cause urinary tract infections and is also one of the hospital acquired infections where it may responsible for septicaemia.

‘Klebsiella is also from the gut and mouth, they are associated with urinary tract infections, septicemia and diarrhoea. Some species can infect the respiratory tract resulting in pneumonia.’

Dr Matewele added: ‘Touchscreen technology is being used more and more in our daily lives but these results show people should not eat food straight after touching them, they are unhygienic and can spread disease.

‘Someone can be very careful about their own hygiene throughout the day but it could all be undone by using a touchscreen machine once.’

McDonald’s does clean the screens with disinfectant but Dr Matawele said it ‘could not have been strong enough.’

Petri dishes of bacteria found in various McDonald’s in London and Birmingham
He added: ‘These bacteria can be on touchscreen machines for days on end.’

A McDonald’s spokesman said: ‘Our self-order screens are cleaned frequently throughout the day. All of our restaurants also provide facilities for customers to wash their hands before eating.’

Offline mercenary for hire

Re: Bring your hand sanitiser.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 11:24:21 am »
I'd say there's more germs on the tables and chairs and the toilet doors.Great advert for Deliveroo/Uber.

The Liffey Lip

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 11:25:56 am »
Money is the biggest distribution network for bacteria. Go through 10 mini-bottles of Lidl's sanitiser every week.

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 11:33:20 am »
I wash me hands too much....not OCD but a result of me induction video into Mcdonalds a long time ago.They brainwash ya into thinking yer hands have AIDS.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 11:36:51 am by mercenary for hire »

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 11:34:41 am »
Can't be any worse than the shite they serve.

Offline Vikkiz

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 09:51:34 am »
Can't be any worse than the shite they serve.
Exactly.

And the report says, it may cause this, that or the other.
I watch a lot of Yankie stations on th firestick and the ads for medication are great,

If you have Heb B, take xyz, known to cause, liver failure, heart disease, cancer, death and your face may fall off. Every side effect is listed during the ad, definitely make you NOT wan5 to take their XYZ tablet

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 03:34:26 pm »
Ah sure the yanks put the p in ill.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 03:37:05 pm »
Ah sure ya need germs to fight other germs.

john m

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 05:21:32 pm »
Damo ,Seannie and Paulie standing outside the chipper with their hands shoved down the front of their tracksuits scraping the cheese off their nobs jump into your car want to goto Molloys for cans then take the money to pay you out of their stocking ,next lad in probably spent the night fingering some sort he met in coppers hands you a handfull of change .The door handles on a taxi are probably nuclear grade cesspools of filth .

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 05:28:22 pm »
I remember being out hunting with a few lads a couple of years back... my OCD went into overdrive when one of the lads tucked into a sandwich immediately after bagging a pheasant... when all's said and done it probably done my stomach more harm than his.

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2018, 06:18:40 pm »
when all's said and done it probably done my stomach more harm than his.

Where did it all go wrong RC?

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2018, 06:29:54 pm »
Long story, started with a simple misunderstanding... someone said Pheasants, I heard Peasants.

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2018, 06:47:27 pm »
Long story, started with a simple misunderstanding... someone said Pheasants, I heard Peasants.
I always knew you were a Pheasant Plucker! 8)

Show Unread Posts