Author Topic: Cheltenham  (Read 4017 times)

Offline Punter

Re: Cheltenham
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2021, 09:04:24 pm »
Racing Post website  --UPDATED 7:28PM, MAR 17 2021

LATEST BET OF A LIFETIME
Punter ponders £275,000 cash-out offer as first four win in amazing £5 acca
Envoi Allen: carries the hopes of a Betfair punter who stands to win more than £500,000
Envoi Allen: carries the hopes of a Betfair punter who stands to win more than £500,000
Patrick McCann (racingpost.com/photos)
1 of 1
By Stuart Riley
UPDATED 7:28PM, MAR 17 2021

What would you do if you had a £5 accumulator rolling on to Envoi Allen for more than half a million pounds and the bookmaker you struck the bet with offered you £275,000 to call it quits?

You'd let it ride, right? It's only £5. When are you ever going to get a chance like this again? Envoi Allen's a 1-2 shot and only has to turn up for £511,225.

But it's horseracing, anything can happen. Everyone said Chacun Pour Soi was home and hosed. And when you think about it, really think about it, £275,000 is an awful lot of money. A life-changing amount of money. With no risk. It's just sitting there with your name on it, you only have to say yes. Suddenly it's not so straightforward, is it?

For you and me this is only a hypothetical exercise, but for Paul Dean, 40, that has very much been the reality ever since Bob Olinger's success in the Ballymore.

Asked if he intends to sleep on the decision, the undecided Dean quips: "I'm going to drink on it first!"

Bob Olinger, who he had at 25-1, was the fourth leg of five in a bet that was struck when the sport returned in June.

Dean got off to a great start at Royal Ascot when Golden Horde (12-1) and Hello Youmzain (10-1) won the Commonwealth Cup and Diamond Jubilee Stakes.

All winter long the ever-shortening Shishkin (4-1), aforementioned Bob Olinger and Envoi Allen (9-2) have built the anticipation, and results this week have been favourable.

Legendary Cheltenham gambles:

Noel Furlong: 'I had £300,000 on Destriero and I had a lot on the double'

Unsinkable Boxer: 'This is the biggest certainty that will ever walk out on to this racecourse'

"I've had a good week so far," says Dean. "I put it on at the beginning of June and I didn't realise Betfair had a max £250,000 payout, but Barry Orr said they'll honour the full bet, which is really good of them as I was gutted at first.

"Initially, it was offering me a cash-out of £182,000 for that reason but they've offered me £275,000. I haven't decided what to do yet.

"The thing is, if I cash out I haven't got Envoi to cheer on, whereas if I can get enough money together myself to lay part of it off so I've a good win anyway but I'll win a lot more on Envoi, that's what I'd ideally want as I want to be cheering him on.

"Half the people are telling me to cash out, the other half are telling me to let it ride. My phone's going absolutely wild. The fact Envoi had switched from Gordon [Elliott] was a concern, but Sir Gerhard and Galvin have changed stables and won, so that's a bit less of a worry."

Offline Lizzzy

« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2021, 09:11:55 pm »
I'd let it ride.

john m

« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2021, 10:09:46 pm »
Simple really .If you had £275.000 in readies would you go into Ladbrokes plonk it and a docket on the counter to have the whole lot on Envoy Allen ?If the answer is yes let it run if the answer is no cash out .I would cash out .

Offline Belker

« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2021, 04:28:37 am »
Fer the let it ride merchants.
See 'Gerry's accumulator'.
http://intaxi.org/forum/index.php?topic=8031.0

Offline Belker

« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2021, 04:53:56 am »
As the Envoi Allen bet is such high profile then what I would do in his situation is to look fer a reputuble bookmaker to back Envoi Allen with him at about 4/6 fer about 120K to win 80K all done on TV (Bookies love publicity) and with contracts signed.
That way he would still hold a 431K docket and if the horse loses then at least he has 120K, Win Win fer him.
The bookie can then offer top price on Envoi Allen in the knowledge that he has him backed to win 80K at 4/6, Win Win fer the bookie (+ the free press).

Offline Belker

« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2021, 05:01:03 am »
I think you've only .8 of a winning line there Ken... returning less than a fiver?
Worse, only .4 of a winning line returned 2.32 fer me 86.40 stake.
With all 6 favs placed I knew it would be a shitty dividend but I wasnt expecting it to be that bad.
Funny game the placepots !

Offline Belker

« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2021, 06:57:46 am »
...... I had a fantastic day, finishing €25 ahead plus three free tenner bets on the way for opening an account with Quinnbet......
I took your advice Stephen and opened a Quinnbet account and lodged me Tenner.
I had a look at the in-play markets and put me Tenner on some Belarus table tennis player @ 6/5, Two minutes later he was 6/10, and a further 5 minutes later he was bate out the gate !
But at least I have secured my 3 x Tenner Free bets (after 4pm) tomorrow, a few poxy EW Burgular bets on the 2nd favs over the next 7 days and hopefully I can turn it in to a Nifty.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2021, 11:44:57 am »
The erm's advice really, Ken. I'd never heard of Quinnbet until he mentioned it last week. Strangely enough I had my tenner deposit on my only winner of the day, Put the Kettle on, settled @ 17/2 and then lost a tenner on the fav in the last... silly bet at the price but I just wanted an excuse to watch the race, I guess. Anywaysanall, just checked my account and my 3 free bets are there.

I opened an account with the new Tote (tote.ie but redirects to tote.co.uk) this morning to have a risk free tenner on a placepot... but can't deposit funds until they verify my ID. They have an automatic online process that didn't work (possibly because my driving licence expiry date is 13/03/21 - extended to Jan '22 on account of COVID '19) so I had to email the documents and play the waiting game.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2021, 12:10:44 pm »
Simple really .If you had £275.000 in readies would you go into Ladbrokes plonk it and a docket on the counter to have the whole lot on Envoy Allen ?If the answer is yes let it run if the answer is no cash out .I would cash out .

If you backed it at 9/2, would you want to back it at 1/2 or whatever it is now? I'd be laying off... at least enough to guarantee 3 figures.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2021, 05:08:53 pm »
Bit more like it today... dropped €66 and my 3 free tenners.... a couple of seconds is as good as it got.

I think all the little fellas have more interest in looking at Rachael's arse than riding horses. Probably the only winner a lot of them can ever hope to ride.

Offline Belker

« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2021, 07:26:58 pm »
The erm's advice really, Ken. I'd never heard of Quinnbet until he mentioned it last week. Strangely enough I had my tenner deposit on my only winner of the day, Put the Kettle on, settled @ 17/2 and then lost a tenner on the fav in the last... silly bet at the price but I just wanted an excuse to watch the race, I guess. Anywaysanall, just checked my account and my 3 free bets are there.....
@ Stephen,
Please in future always mention if the erm is involved in anything.
I opened my account on your advice, backed some table tennis player @ 6/5 who was 6/10 Two minutes later but got beaten, but still secured my 3 x Tenner free bets.

I had a Fiver EW burgular double on Two 2nd favs against odds-on shots.
No more free bets allowed on the same sport so I had a Tenner on Bilbao @ 1.75 in the early afternoon la liga match.
And threw the last Tenner on some Quinn bet boost thing.

Bilbao were a goal up after 10 minutes and now trading at 1.24.
And then I read your post on here, in alarm I checked the Bilbao score, 1-1. !!
The First of my burgular selections a 4/1 shot in a hurdle with a 2/5 fav was unplaced.
The Quinn bet boost thing was beaten and Bilbao played out a 1-1 draw.

I defo gotta close that Quinn bet account, it's jinxed fer life !!

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2021, 07:48:16 pm »
Ermy sittin in big dommos pigeon loft skullin scrumpy jack and stickin pins in voodoo dolls of us all!!

john m

« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2021, 07:59:36 pm »
The 66/1 shot I put up last November .Joan of Arc is now third favourite for the Guinneas .

Offline Punter

« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2021, 08:27:39 pm »
Best of luck with it J,I did try and get on but no luck at big prices --that said the 2nd today @80/1 cost 5k and the fourth @ 33/1 cost  2k but price doesn't make a champion but it does cast a doubt  !
Fingers crossed !

john m

« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2021, 09:29:03 pm »
Best of luck with it J,I did try and get on but no luck at big prices --that said the 2nd today @80/1 cost 5k and the fourth @ 33/1 cost  2k but price doesn't make a champion but it does cast a doubt  !
Fingers crossed !

Down to run in 3 weeks @ leopardstown in the guineas trial .5th home was group 3 placed last year ?

Show Unread Posts