Author Topic: Cheltenham  (Read 4678 times)

Offline Shallowhal

Re: Cheltenham
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2021, 05:06:08 pm »
All 5 of them look like a sitting room suit for Gordon Elliott .I left out the Fav and done the Field in combo F/C .Worst race I have ever seen run on a racecourse and the worst fav Iv ever seen .

You stupid f**kin c**t!

What race is that in....and at what price?

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2021, 05:13:10 pm »
Aidan Coleman has been minding himself for last few weeks --not going to have many rides--likewise Tom Scudamore-I will be happy enough to back either of these guys at a price to win any race, while at the same time not committing to much while giving you an interest !
I often throw a few quid at the placepot --leaving out the hotpots--yet to have success but still got great runs for small dough !

I've a similar approach myself.... and cover the Jackpot (now that we can with UK bookies on tinternet) for a smaller stake. Reminds me of an old punting friend, always said put a pound on the accumulator just in case... rang me one day and says he landed the placepot with 6 winners... did you..., says I... no I fucking didn't, says he... simultaneously we said "it'll never happen again"!

Funny enough the best placepot I ever landed was up the road in Bellewstown a few years back. None of my selections were outsiders and it paid €414 - €828 for my €2 unit stake (€16 total)  http://intaxi.org/forum/index.php?topic=8972.msg70592#msg70592

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2021, 05:16:22 pm »

You stupid f**kin c**t!

What race is that in....and at what price?

They can be found in every bookies shop in the country backing in every race!

Offline Punter

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2021, 05:33:03 pm »
Tote Ireland gives you access also---

Matter of interest --Racing Post available online from 3am--1.99 Stg might be better value than 3.50 Eu it currently is --they have a habit of jacking the price Day 1 of Chelt.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2021, 05:35:28 pm »
Wasn't Tote Ireland taken over by one of the UK bookies? I had 34c in an account and recall them sending me a message telling me to lose it by a specified date (maybe a year or so back) or lose it!

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2021, 05:37:50 pm »
So ye lost it then? lol

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2021, 05:40:59 pm »
I didn't and I did, Hal. I forgot to lose it by the specified date so I assume it's lost!

I've always been more a fan of Timeform than The Post, Punter - albeit reluctantly since it was acquired by paddypower. They're bombarding me with offers and "freebies" atm but I haven't paid much interest to any of it. These days, other than Cheltenham, I don't back horses unless I'm at the course and I don't look at the card/form until the night before at the earliest!

Offline Punter

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2021, 08:11:06 pm »
In my punting/racing days I got the Irish Form Book every week --worth its weight in gold and when I stopped I resorted to the Timeform Black Book for the big meetings in UK--then I got some sense after 7 years in Family Law Courts and minus a small fortune --now I rely on watching and stats !

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2021, 05:23:15 pm »
The only sustained success I had with punting was when someone on here drew my attention to Oddschecker - which was new to me. I wrote an app that scraped all the early prices and scraped timeform ratings and other statistical data via the ATR subscription site. The app done all the "study" based on quantifiable variables and told me what to back every evening before racing, largely exploiting overpriced selections. Unfortunately, one by one, all the bookies (with the sole exception of Bet365) closed my accounts or restricted them to the point of impotence. I wasn't winning any great fortune or placing huge bets. In fact my unit stake was €50. You'd think they woulda let me have the few notes for letting them know they're overpriced!

Offline Punter

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2021, 07:01:07 pm »
Long time ago my nephews did something similar but where it scarped all the exchanges ,a few mates threw in 5 k each for accounts with each exchange--they bet/layed   on each as a margin allowed but never took an opinion just operated on profit --when I saw in in action they had a tank of 150k with a profit of 120k --then as ever two of the four started to have opinions so nephews cashed out as they are not punters--they coped about 60k for no risk --the exchanges let them operate as they were really market makers for them but they did up the commission for professionals ! 

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2021, 07:43:44 pm »
Betfair have an API for users. It used to be free but they've started charging for it now. I did experiment with it on US sports (MLB, NBA, NHL) a few years ago when it was free. It was pretty cool, put the money in your account and your phone (in my case) done the rest. However, as it was dealing with just one exchange you did have to programme with price:select criteria which, in my case, didn't prove profitable so I lost interest. However, the fact that they're charging for API access proves that you're probably betting against computer programmers as much as against other punters these days.

Far cry from the days when the exchange in the IFSC - Betdaq, I think - used to wine, dine and freeroll prominent market makers!

Offline Punter

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2021, 08:55:10 pm »
I often took the guys in and out --when on the night shifts, so they amended a/c you operate commission free and put you in for all the freebies/promos---disappeared when Chronicle /Ladbrokes got involved--

john m

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2021, 10:24:31 pm »
I was involved about 20 years ago when they started to accept the Irish Placepot in bookie shops  .You would wait till there were four or five certainties to be places then go to the races and feed money into the pool leaving out one of the good things in every combo just in case they got beaten you could get some of your coin back .Then go into the off course shops and place your bets after you had stacked the pool .The pool was always small under £1000 as you could only bet placepot on course and the money in the shops never went back .We put 700 into the pool one Wednesday at Leopardstown all six favs were placed 5 of them odds on paid just over 38/1 real odds about 9/4 we took out a nice touch then went in again .Next time 4 good things all placed and we went 3x3 in the other races paid 158/1 real odds about 9/1 ..Then Powers Copped on what was occurring and stopped taking the Irish Placepot .
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 10:36:05 pm by john m »

john m

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2021, 11:50:19 am »
Back

Shiskin - Arkle
Kilcruit - Bumper

Rationale: The erm's Lays.

Lay

Billaway - Hunters Chase
Easyland - Cross Country race

I hope you lumped on to Shishkin @1/1 Rodent the second favourite is out makes things a lot easier .

Rationale: The erm's Bets.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2021, 08:59:10 pm »
Did I fuck.. Like I said, I don't look ahead of the night before racing. I had a look at the other race you put up during the week. Fortunately, I was too late to get on as it had gone in-play... as you know with satellite/www delays in-play from home is a mug's game. I did learn something though... you don't need to have a bet to watch the racing on Betfair. It loaded the player for me and I think the last bet I had with them was on Gary Anderson for the world championship back in December.

Show Unread Posts