Author Topic: 9%  (Read 275 times)

Offline john m

9%
« on: June 09, 2021, 08:54:03 am »
Lad contacted me last night to ask would I help him with a project .He is doing a survey on future employment in Ireland and the effect of Brexit and Covid on future jobs .He is calculating job losses or job creation in different sectors of the economy .Interesting he is forecasting a big turn down in hospitality recons Brexit will have a huge impact -2% on hotel bed nights as Brits will need to get visas to travel in the EU so will be looking for better value for their travel pound recons Brits not traveling will also impact the Irish Music scene as the Big Gigs use to attract a lot of brits over for the events .According to his research to date he recons 6% of the present taxi fleet will not return as some drivers have died naturally others have retired and others have gained alternative employment and are happy .By his calculations he recons our trade will need 9% of the Fleet not to return just to adjust for the impact of Covid and Brexit in the future .He recons 14% of Shop workers will lose their jobs due to on line shopping but driving jobs like couriers will increase by 4% .He also recons those with jobs will see an 8% increase in wages over the next two years .

Offline mercenary for hire

Re: 9%
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 09:31:04 am »
How could he have surveyed all the fleet?

Offline john m

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 09:43:52 am »
How could he have surveyed all the fleet?

They dont they use sampling ratios .I wonder how many lads that were driving as couriers that went taxi ing are now back in a van .As you have pointed out on a few occasions its not a cheap industry to work in with car costs ,insurance ,licences ,Suitability .Lads who were probably thinking about quitting got the chance during the Covid Coin .Im doing the Suitability probably next week to renew for another year and then I can lapse it for the next year .Im only a casual trader If I could get a handy driving job I would take it give up the taxi .Unless your willing to do serious hours its hard to justify the expense of competing .

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 09:58:59 am »
Taxi driving is your handy driving job.Work the days and settle for less and you won't be dealing with drunks and cokeheads.Once you get used to the traffic you'll never go back to nights.The sunlight will be good for yer gloomy disposition...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 10:07:14 am by mercenary for hire »

Offline john m

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 10:11:44 am »
Taxi driving is your handy driving job.Work the days and settle for less and you won't be dealing drunks and cokeheads.Once you get used to the traffic you'll never go back to nights.

Your a good bit younger than me Merch but Job satisfaction becomes important after the bills are paid the kids are gone .I hate the thoughts of going back .The Last full Day I done was about 5 years ago First job Jamses Street to the back lane off Capel Street to some homeless hostel old lad bringing his washing to be done while he got examined by the doctor and had his toenails cut .Second job Girl from Jurys rank to smithfield to meet her BOYFRIEND she gave me the address i put it in the satnav when we got there she rang him he was paying Indian lad approaches the car I ask is this your Boyfriend she says I dont know kid about 19 obviously working the streets .Last Job two Brits leaving Eir on Johns Road after doing a deal for billions to buy the company arrogant bastards bad mouthing management as arseholes but later that deal fell through .I dont think I could deal with Daytime Misery people rushing to court or hospital stressed out at least at night they are sedated by gargle or drugs or tired from work .

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 10:40:10 am »
The great part is ya don't have to turn up Erm..dont even listen to the passengers unless they talk to you..I don't like it as much as before but the flexibility is hard to match.

You might think other jobs are handy but having to be there everyday could be a problem.

Offline Cool Boola

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2021, 10:51:13 am »
Rathmines (Tesco) rank going a bomb yesterday. It was so busy that they were hailing off the street!...Very few rankers using it.
Dis an Dat Im not a rat

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 12:50:00 pm »
Taxi driving is your handy driving job.Work the days and settle for less and you won't be dealing drunks and cokeheads.Once you get used to the traffic you'll never go back to nights.

Your a good bit younger than me Merch but Job satisfaction becomes important after the bills are paid the kids are gone .I hate the thoughts of going back .The Last full Day I done was about 5 years ago First job Jamses Street to the back lane off Capel Street to some homeless hostel old lad bringing his washing to be done while he got examined by the doctor and had his toenails cut .Second job Girl from Jurys rank to smithfield to meet her BOYFRIEND she gave me the address i put it in the satnav when we got there she rang him he was paying Indian lad approaches the car I ask is this your Boyfriend she says I dont know kid about 19 obviously working the streets .Last Job two Brits leaving Eir on Johns Road after doing a deal for billions to buy the company arrogant bastards bad mouthing management as arseholes but later that deal fell through .I dont think I could deal with Daytime Misery people rushing to court or hospital stressed out at least at night they are sedated by gargle or drugs or tired from work .
That was a normal day in city cabs. That and docket work for the health dept that would destroy your soul.

The type of taxi work the Indians would assign to the Dalits, even if they did add a euro per job.

Show Unread Posts