Author Topic: driverless cars  (Read 985 times)

john m

driverless cars
« on: July 18, 2021, 07:52:41 am »
Just read an article about Driverless cars .It seems like if you buy a driverless car you dont have a driverless car but a driverless enabled car .A bit like you own a smart TV it has the ability to show lots of stations provided you sign up to the monthly subscription .If you want your Tesla to be fully autonated you need to pay the monthly fee for the operating system .That would explain why Tesla shares are so high .Like Apple smart phones the real money is not in selling the phone but making money off of all the add ons .That Musk Cunt is smarter than I thought he was and more dishonest he is becoming sort of likeable .

Bit like the fella in 1900 bought a self peddling bicycle .Its called a Motorbike it peddles itself all you need to do is perscribe to the petrol pump .Musks new petrol is data .
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 08:08:54 am by john m »

Offline mercenary for hire

Re: driverless cars
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 09:42:11 am »
That's old news John.What many Tesla owners don't realise is their vehicle is uploading random video and data back to Tesla when the auto pilot/cruise control meets any problems or has a crash.The taxi drivers driving them probably dont know Musk is pushing Tesla robot taxis and using their data.Nobody cares but it's gonna happen.If you didn't know this about Tesla before today you obviously haven't been doing your homework.No wonder you're usually wrong Erm..
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 09:50:18 am by mercenary for hire »

Offline silverbullet

Offline C5

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2021, 11:05:31 am »
There wont be driverless cars in this country for decades if ever, can you imagine a driverless taxi going down a boren to pick someone up and meeting a tractor and trailer on the way, you could see the top of the tractor coming on the winding road over the hedgerows and make a logical decision to pull into a wide spot like an entrance to a field, the driverless car will just spot it and brake and not move, and if the tractor squashes over its not going to pass. What about snow or even black ice they don't have a hope. All it will ever be is a motorway assistant.

john m

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2021, 11:20:31 am »
There wont be driverless cars in this country for decades if ever, can you imagine a driverless taxi going down a boren to pick someone up and meeting a tractor and trailer on the way, you could see the top of the tractor coming on the winding road over the hedgerows and make a logical decision to pull into a wide spot like an entrance to a field, the driverless car will just spot it and brake and not move, and if the tractor squashes over its not going to pass. What about snow or even black ice they don't have a hope. All it will ever be is a motorway assistant.

Think you are right 5 bit like the Microwave oven and the pressure cooker before it were going to replace the cooker .People dont want it .All this technology is great on paper it just dosent work on technological devices

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2021, 12:04:14 pm »
Back during the snow in 2010 most of the Dublin taxi fleet was parked up.This idea that we have some sort of special skill for driving down country roads is a bit mad.I done the ring of Kerry recently and I saw one Taxi.There's not that much work in these remote kips even though they're nice.

If and when the time comes and any of the multibillion-dollar tech companies decide they want to do autonomous cars/taxis they have the funds to fix every road in the country to accommodate their autonomous vehicles.I really think yis underestimate how advanced some of the cars are.Statistically they're safer than humans at driving.

In the Uk they're using robots to deliver pizzas.This is just the start.The robot taxis will likely be slow moving yokes like the tourist buses.They'll keep us around to carry the shopping bags for the time being.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 12:42:55 pm »
We don't have pilotless planes or driverless trains yet we don't let the pilots/drivers do a whole lot...

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2021, 09:35:51 am »
If you have a bit of time and genuinely dont think driverless cars are coming watch this new Tesla software at work.The only reason he's touching the wheel is because it's currently a legal requirement.

https://youtu.be/nbfKlQM7TII

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2021, 09:49:23 am »
This looks like a country road to me.No bother to it.Another few years and it would be better than us.

https://youtu.be/0FXFedg14LY

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2021, 02:17:05 pm »
I get that it's coming, MfH.. but I reckon it'll be a long time before they'll be allowed operate without some form of "supervision".

At the end of the day road death statistics will resolve any debate. If the software is responsible for less fatal collisions than (human) drivers common ense dictates that all human inputs should be removed. However, we do have a very high tolerance of deviations in road deaths. For example, 12.5% of road deaths are directly attributable to 2% of road vehicles i.e. motorcycles yet we have done very little to curtail those vehicles. Logically they should be banned or at least restricted to a 30 kilos per hour speed limit.

Offline Dr. Martin Gooter Bling

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2021, 02:21:32 pm »
there's been autopilot on airplanes for 100 years and there still hasta be a full crew in the cockpit.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2021, 02:30:08 pm »
Correct.. and similar applies to trains, save some low speed services that may be completely unmanned.

Interestingly, pilot error is still the most common cause of plane crashes. Obviously, under current conditions, driver error is the sole cause of road deaths. I think the airline industry would argue that planes are a lot safer when the lad in the cockpit is asleep. I guess there's inherent trust of the systems on the part of pilots hence crashes often occur simply because they don't understand what the machine is trying to do and can't process checklists fast enough to figure that out, I guess.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 02:33:40 pm by Rat Catcher »

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2021, 03:08:31 pm »
I'm not in favour of it but I recognise good tech when I see it.These new yokes will have no steering and will travel along predefined routes in the beginning.They're gonna be on the road but only legal in certain countries.

Maybe at first they'll be driving enhancements like what we have already but how long before the insurance companies realise that the human is the weak link and charge us more to drive our own vehicles.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2021, 04:08:53 pm »
Seems likely give that drivers are currently responsible for 100% of road deaths.

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2021, 04:36:51 pm »
Here's a new video sponsored by Waymo....part of Google.This guys videos are usually good.

https://youtu.be/yjztvddhZmI

Show Unread Posts