Author Topic: Google Maps joins 21st Century  (Read 900 times)

Offline Shallowhal

Re: Google Maps joins 21st Century
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2021, 04:21:27 pm »
The problem is they're treated as pedestrians and other insured road users seem to be more culpable in the event of an accident....he who is insured...pays!!

Offline markmiwurdz

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2021, 04:46:28 pm »
A trial - I believe there's one being conducted in DCU - ought to establish whether any instruction/licensing may help keep the death rate within acceptable limits and, obviously, that could be kept under review as time progresses and more data becomes available. Speed is undoubtedly a factor in our huge motorcycle death rate. It's unlikely that eScooters would reach the same limits in that regard. Given the data we have it's impossible to argue that our current motorcycle licensing system is working. I guess there's many factors at play there. Enforcement or, more accurately, lack thereof being an important one. I wonder how many of the kids on scrambler type bikes that I frequently encounter around the north Dublin suburbs are appropriately trained, licensed and insured, for example.

I wouldn't be comparing the general public with scrotes on scramblers in Tallaght/Darndale,but I suppose the proof of the pudding and all that...

Offline markmiwurdz

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2021, 10:09:22 am »
As evidenced by the scramblers, legislation is of limited use when coupled with a zero enforcement regime. The task for eScooters ought to be to deliver a lower death rate than motorcycles. Obviouisly there are several options from a legislative point of view to keep deaths within those acceptable limits. Reducing speed limits on roads on which they are legally allowed operate would be the obvious starting point, I guess. No reason that approach couldn't be extended to all categories of motorcycles as well... if it were I daresay overall road deaths would reduce considerably, possibly resulting in a lowered perception of what rate is acceptable.

Offline markmiwurdz

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2021, 01:21:10 pm »
I think capping the speed limiter on them to about 10-12KMH would be a huge plus,some of them over here going about 3 times that atm.

Offline Belker

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2021, 03:40:41 pm »
Surely there should be some degree of responsibility on the scooter drivers, like some basic knowledge of the rules of the road that they use. Is it too much to ask that they should at the very minimum have front and back lights while travelling by night.
I drive 2 tons of steel within a safety cage with multiple airbags, the e-scooter driver has about 10 pounds of steel and maybe a helmet.
I don't want to kill an E-scooter driver but if I can't see them on the road by night then it just might happen.

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2021, 07:46:05 pm »

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2021, 07:50:06 pm »
All road users have to obey the rules of the road, Ken. The basics are taught in schools. I guess firms like Free Now will argue that allowing them control usage with no private ownership allowed would ensure all vehicles are fitted with lights/bells/hemets/etc...

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2021, 11:37:22 pm »
Where would ye be goin without a bell on yer e-bike/scooter anyway?

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2021, 08:23:44 pm »
Surely there should be some degree of responsibility on the scooter drivers, like some basic knowledge of the rules of the road that they use. Is it too much to ask that they should at the very minimum have front and back lights while travelling by night.
I drive 2 tons of steel within a safety cage with multiple airbags, the e-scooter driver has about 10 pounds of steel and maybe a helmet.
I don't want to kill an E-scooter driver but if I can't see them on the road by night then it just might happen.
They're supposed to be limited to 29 kph to avoid having to be designated as motorized vehicles. E-scooters and and e-bikes are finally to be regulated on Irish roads, Minister for Transport Eamon Ryan has said.

He said on Monday the Government had given approval to draft new legislation in this area.

The plan is for a new vehicle category, powered personal transporters, which will be legal to use in public but within a new safety framework.

Announcing the development, Mr Ryan said tax, insurance and driving licences will not be required for the use of e-scooters.

Further rules on exactly where and how they can be used will all be included in the forthcoming Road Traffic (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill.

The law will also differentiate e-bikes, depending on their size. The Minister said that while they will be treated “mainly in the same way” as normal bicycles, more powerful models would be considered akin to light mopeds.

“E-scooters have become an increasingly popular form of personal mobility in a short period of time,” Mr Ryan said.

“However, these devices are not legal under current Irish road-traffic law. I am implementing the commitment in the programme for government to regulate their use . . . so that they can be used in a safe manner.”

Once introduced the laws will bring Ireland up to speed with many other European countries as the number of people opting for the electric devices grows. It is not clear how long it will take for the legislation to come into being.

Safety measures
Dutch company Dott, an e-scooter service operator in 16 cities, has recently called on the Government to consider various safety measures once legislation is being put in place.

It has recommended a minimum age of 16 years; compulsory helmets for those aged between 16 and 18; an upper speed limit of 25km/h; a ban on footpath use; and consideration of comprehensive insurance provided by companies operating rental schemes.

Dott is not alone in its anticipation of forthcoming laws – Ireland is in the sights of several international scooter rental companies awaiting a regulatory opening. Sweden’s Voi and Berlin-based Tier are both believed to be waiting to roll out services.

Many will see the legislation as catching up with a shift in consumer demand, both recreational and commuter. Last October, the retailer Halfords reported a sevenfold increase in the sale of scooters across 24 stores over a two-month period.

The actual speeds after they're chipped is much higher:
Results below are based on our independent performance testing and not data provided by the manufacturer.

Rank   Scooter   Top Speed   Source
1   Rion RE90   121 kmh   Alien Rides
2   Minimotors Dualtron X2   96 kmh   Raptor TV
3   Kaabo Wolf King   95.6 kmh   ESG GPS
4   NAMI Burn-E   94.7 kmh   ESG GPS
5   WEPED SS   90 kmh   505 PRO KOREA
6   Turbowheel Phaeton   87 kmh   Various
7   Minimotors Dualtron Thunder   80.5 kmh   Lightning Thunder
8   Apollo Phantom Ludicrous   77.6 kmh   ESG GPS
9   Currus Panther   76.5 kmh   ESG GPS
10   Kaabo Wolf Warrior 11   72.5 kmh   ESG GPS

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2021, 08:25:04 pm »
Makes sense... although I think the Minister should quantify acceptable road death rates in advance... or at least state that further review of restrictions and speed limits on relevant roads should automatically be undertaken if any new category of vehicle exceeds road deaths attributable to motorcycles over any 18 month period.

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2021, 08:29:32 pm »
so that they can be used in a safe manner.”

Get real Snoozy Eamo!!

Show Unread Posts