Author Topic: Masks  (Read 743 times)

Offline mercenary for hire

Re: Masks
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2021, 09:11:43 pm »
I've never been lost in a place so many times.Even google maps were a nightmare.Many of the streets are curved and I got lost frequently.Deffo go back though.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2021, 12:20:26 pm »
I've the same problem up above in Dublin and I work as a taximan. Fortunately we're not required to have any current geographical knowledge of the city.

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2021, 12:38:11 pm »
Dublin city changed a lot since the pandemic.I'm struggling to get around as easily lately.I'm definitely spending more time at traffic lights.Hopefully I'll just get used to it.They gave so much space to the cyclists that it's turned the city into a real chore to navigate.

Lots of traffic even though so many are supposedly still working at home.It will all end in tears...

Probably mine though..

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2021, 12:46:20 pm »
We'd be fucked if taximen were required to pass a test every two years.

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2021, 12:56:29 pm »
I'd say If you pass the 'harder' test first time you'll retain most of the information amd only need a refresher course.

I've come to the conclusion after being abroad that we're relatively lucky in Dublin that we don't really have that much other competition more taxis.So maybe they'll never toughen up the test agian and just keep lots of taxis in the fleet one way or the other.First sign of a crisis and they loosened the age rules rather than cull a few.My car is almost as old as my younger passengers now..

In Prague the taxis were pricey but newish.Then there were limo hacks(nice BMWs etc)....old unmarked hack saloon cars...then even older unmarked saloon cars on the apps.Then scooters and e bikes.

We're doing alright all things considered.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2021, 01:07:42 pm »
I'd have no chance of passing the Kathleen Doyle test. Fortunately, new entrants are required to know a lot more than experienced men... however crazy that might sound!

Offline watty

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2021, 05:22:02 pm »
We taxi drivers are getting older and dying off.   Can't remember the stats but a huge chunk of us are over 50 y.o..  The NTA will have to open the doors to younger members within 5 years, I'd reckon.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40729239.html
The industry also seems to have a difficulty in attracting young new drivers into the profession as almost two-thirds of all taxi drivers are aged 50 years or older with only 1% under 30 years. The industry is also heavily concentrated in Dublin with 57% of all taxi drivers based in the capital.

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2021, 05:59:05 pm »
We taxi drivers are getting older and dying off.   Can't remember the stats but a huge chunk of us are over 50 y.o..  The NTA will have to open the doors to younger members within 5 years, I'd reckon.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40729239.html
The industry also seems to have a difficulty in attracting young new drivers into the profession as almost two-thirds of all taxi drivers are aged 50 years or older with only 1% under 30 years. The industry is also heavily concentrated in Dublin with 57% of all taxi drivers based in the capital.

If the autonomous vehicle manufacturers are to be believed, today's kids will be the last generation to own a driving licence and last to drive an ICE vehicle.

Like old fashioned cab companies and fluffers we're on the way out.

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2021, 07:11:52 pm »
Yeah....i miss me fluffer!!

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2021, 03:04:16 pm »
Yeah....i miss me fluffer!!
Ah sure you've learned to stand up on yer own.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2021, 12:56:25 pm »
https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/gardai-set-up-multiple-checkpoints-25505207

Gardai set up multiple checkpoints around small village in hunt for three masked men

Officers set up a number of checkpoints and carried out patrols in the area but no arrests have yet been made.

Offline John m

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2021, 01:39:04 pm »
Hard to believe lads on here want masked men in their cars .Two years ago if someone got in with a mask Shit would of soaked their denims and welded them to the drivers seat .

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2021, 03:05:27 pm »
https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/gardai-set-up-multiple-checkpoints-25505207

Gardai set up multiple checkpoints around small village in hunt for three masked men

Officers set up a number of checkpoints and carried out patrols in the area but no arrests have yet been made.

Three men in masks would stand out a mile. The village is probably full of Covidiots.

Show Unread Posts