Author Topic: Broombridge (bridge) Dublin  (Read 629 times)

Offline watty

Broombridge (bridge) Dublin
« on: November 21, 2021, 05:04:54 pm »
Broombridge bridge has been a 2-way bridge for awhile now.  The road from Finglas to Cabra is a bus lane and marked "Buses Cycles Only".  I.E. No taxis.

I refuse to go over it since taxis are not allowed IMHO & I don't want a €100 fine for a stupid €10 fare.  But I get arguments every second day that taxis can drive from Finglas to Cabra over the bridge.  To settle things, I went into Cabra Garda Station to get their expert opinion but he didn't know either!  He tried ringing the Council on a Saturday to get their opinion and seemed surprised that nobody answered the phone.

So what say ye experts?  Yea or Nay on crossing Broombridge from Finglas to Cabra?

Offline Bob Shillin

Re: Broombridge (bridge) Dublin
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 05:36:36 pm »
Think the sign says it all.
"The sword of time will pierce our skins,
 it doesn't hurt when it begins,
 but as it works its' way on in
the pain gets stronger,
watch it grin.."

Offline watty

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 05:48:32 pm »
Problem is loads of private cars and taxis are ignoring the sign and everyone thinks it's ok.  Guards are ignoring it at the moment.

Knowing my luck, if I drove over the bridge, there'd be a Guard waiting to write me a ticket  C:-)

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 06:01:03 pm »
If it doesn't say taxi on it then that means we can't use it I thought.

Just to muddy the water on a separate issue I rang the corpo last week about those new (to me) lights on the quays that allow buses to get a headstart off the lights for about three seconds while the other lane still has a red.

The reason I rang them is the light just says "bus" and nothing else.They rang me back to clarify that it refers to all traffic permitted in the bus lane so we can proceed at the green bus lights without penalty.I know we were all doing it already but no harm in checking.

There's been so many changes that haven't given us any consideration.They just kinda forget about us for some reason on these changes.

Nothing to do with your topic Watty but I can see why there would be confusion.

Offline watty

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2021, 06:25:28 pm »
I had the same confusion about those traffic lights as well.  But to me it didn't make sense for us to sit there blocking the buses until the main light went green.

What number did you ring in the council?  Might be worth asking them about Broombridge?

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2021, 06:33:29 pm »
Watty I rang the  traffic incident  line/room incorrectly expecting to be redirected but the chap was sound and said nobody else had asked before so he said he'd get back to me after consulting someone else.

Can't see which exact number I dialled from my history but the NTA were no help at all.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 06:36:17 pm by mercenary for hire »

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2021, 06:35:51 pm »
The NTA?.....ah c'mon!!

Offline markmiwurdz

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2021, 06:38:49 pm »
What about those bus lanes on Nangor Rd with the Traffic lights on an island with no light on the inside for the bus lane?

Offline Dr. Martin Gooter Bling

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2021, 06:45:58 pm »
they don't give a tinker's curse about the taxi game.
can't say i blame them.
did'nt it take 7 months before they got round to saying masks were mandatory in taxis amidst what was perceived as a killer virus.

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2021, 06:46:59 pm »
What about those bus lanes on Nangor Rd with the Traffic lights on an island with no light on the inside for the bus lane?

It's not contraflow Marky....you have my permission to hurdle along it!!

Offline markmiwurdz

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2021, 07:51:57 pm »

It's not contraflow Marky....you have my permission to hurdle along it!!

It's just that they should have a green light with bus on it or something,as it is it feels like you're going through a red.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2021, 12:17:52 pm »
Broombridge bridge has been a 2-way bridge for awhile now.  The road from Finglas to Cabra is a bus lane and marked "Buses Cycles Only".  I.E. No taxis.

I refuse to go over it since taxis are not allowed IMHO & I don't want a €100 fine for a stupid €10 fare.  But I get arguments every second day that taxis can drive from Finglas to Cabra over the bridge.  To settle things, I went into Cabra Garda Station to get their expert opinion but he didn't know either!  He tried ringing the Council on a Saturday to get their opinion and seemed surprised that nobody answered the phone.

So what say ye experts?  Yea or Nay on crossing Broombridge from Finglas to Cabra?

You may not use a contra flow bus lane unless the sign dictates the contrary.

New drivers are probably the best ones to ask as they have to pass the "Kathleen Doyle" entrance exam which includes comprehensive testing of their regulatory knowledge. Older lads are unlikely to know any more than the Gardai who used to conduct a mickey mouse test that had a 99.9999999999992% pass rate.

Unlike most other "professional" drivers taxi drivers are licensed for life with no periodic testing of current knowledge or competence.

Offline Cool Boola

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2021, 12:22:43 pm »
I think that bridge was one way…Before they put lights on it..you had to take your chances that a Jugger was not coming over from Colorman….Nearly wet me pants a few times.
Dis an Dat Im not a rat

Offline watty

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2021, 02:02:41 pm »

You may not use a contra flow bus lane unless the sign dictates the contrary.

New drivers are probably the best ones to ask as they have to pass the "Kathleen Doyle" entrance exam which includes comprehensive testing of their regulatory knowledge. Older lads are unlikely to know any more than the Gardai who used to conduct a mickey mouse test that had a 99.9999999999992% pass rate.

Unlike most other "professional" drivers taxi drivers are licensed for life with no periodic testing of current knowledge or competence.

And the winner is...    Took me a minute to remember what a contraflow is but this sounds like the best answer  ::clap

As for learning stuff....

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2021, 02:17:11 pm »
I'm not so sure as it doesn't seem like a regular contraflow that we are used to in the city center.At no point on the bus run against the traffic while the opposite lane is moving.The light has to go red on the Cabra side in order for the bus to get a green from the Finglas side.

Maybe it still qualifies as a contra flow but it certainly doesn't look like what we're used to.Next time yer over there take a photo of the signage.If I wasn't such a lazy bollix I'd walk the 300 meters to find out.Bit cold out there today..
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 02:26:28 pm by mercenary for hire »

Show Unread Posts