Author Topic: EV Fuel Cost?  (Read 491 times)

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
EV Fuel Cost?
« on: November 23, 2021, 01:02:23 pm »
I was looking at electricity offers and one came with 7,500km free driving which was further defined as a €300 credit. that works out at 4c inc. VAT/kilo.

Is that about right?

Offline mercenary for hire

Re: EV Fuel Cost?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 01:32:35 pm »
I'm not very well in informed on this but not all EVs get the same economy so it's hard to tell where they get their numbers from.The leccy meter doesn't know where the electricity is being used as you know unless you get an outlet/smart charger that counts usage.

Sounds like you're looking at Electric Ireland.I find the tarrifs deliberately confusing and they're hoping that people won't bother changing suppliers.For me I just put the details into Bonkers.ie. and they work out the numbers cutting through the marketing stuff.

Last time I switched they told me to take a two-year contract from electric Ireland.

Although if you're asking to use it as a reference point for a tax return you could probably massage the leccy usage upwards for taxi use.Leccy cars still lose power when parked in the kesh/rank with the heating on.So one number doesn't fit all.

Offline watty

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 03:05:31 pm »
I was looking at electricity offers and one came with 7,500km free driving which was further defined as a €300 credit. that works out at 4c inc. VAT/kilo.

Is that about right?
I'd be surprised considering prices have gone up ?20%? in the last year alone.  Electric Ireland's latest kicks in during Dec, I believe.

I think somewhere around 10-15c/kWh for the night rate is maybe more realistic.  It's a balancing act though because the day rate usually goes up a bit in these deals.  Most have a washing machine, dishwasher, computers, clothes dryer, cooker etc.   If your house is one that uses the cooker a lot & maybe runs the washing machine every day, you might save money on your EV during the night but lose money during the day, if you know what I mean?  You have to be organised and run your washing machine at night etc.

Also, ESB Networks have a plan to install smart meters in every house by 2024.  Smart meters at the moment can't do the day/night rates so if you've got a smart meter, you're out of luck getting a night rate of any description.

Also, there's night rates and there's night rates.  An average EV takes 7 hrs to recharge at home so a decent night rate from midnight to 8am is good.  Some night rates offer the best discount at something like 2-4am and then a not so good discount outside those night hours (midnight-2am, 4am-8am).  So that 4c/kW could be just the headline (2am-4am) and the bad news is hidden in the fine print.

Also, factor in the cost of your house charger - €600-€1,000 after the grant.

Offline John m

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 03:58:40 pm »
Watty how much juice is the heating /aircon using per hour ?

Offline watty

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2021, 05:08:28 pm »
No idea.  The only way to tell would be to let a stationary EV run for an hour with heating off and then another hour with the heating on.  And life's too short for that  :2cheers

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2021, 05:26:52 pm »
No idea.  The only way to tell would be to let a stationary EV run for an hour with heating off and then another hour with the heating on.  And life's too short for that  :2cheers

How many days are ye getting from a charge watty.....are you working day or night shifts...how many hours are you working?

Offline watty

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2021, 06:37:15 pm »

How many days are ye getting from a charge watty.....are you working day or night shifts...how many hours are you working?

Jaysus, even my bank manager wouldn't ask me those questions  8)

Hard to give definitive answers.  I'm feel like I'm only back 80% - not really killing myself working. 

I'd get 2 days out of the battery if I wanted to but the battery would be getting close to zero.  I use about 40% of the battery most of the time so I guess I get a day & a half in 'real life' (80%-->20%).  The battery in EV's needs a bit of TLC to prolong it's life as long as possible.  It's recommended to keep it in the range of 20-80% most of the time and only top it up to 100% if you're going on a long journey or 'balancing the battery cells' (a once a month job). 

I work days but the lights are on auto so they're half-on most of the time.

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2021, 08:27:46 pm »
What colour is your heap btw?

Offline watty

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2021, 09:33:01 pm »
Don't know. It's too dark outside to tell...

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2021, 08:10:11 am »
Saw a blue yoke in Santry on Sat....and thought...that's the smug bastid watty!!! lol

Offline watty

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2021, 09:37:40 am »
All of us EV drivers are smug bastids  8)

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2021, 12:19:17 pm »
That's what they said about us Prius drivers back in the day!!

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2021, 12:38:09 pm »
I'm not very well in informed on this but not all EVs get the same economy so it's hard to tell where they get their numbers from.The leccy meter doesn't know where the electricity is being used as you know unless you get an outlet/smart charger that counts usage.

Sounds like you're looking at Electric Ireland.I find the tarrifs deliberately confusing and they're hoping that people won't bother changing suppliers.For me I just put the details into Bonkers.ie. and they work out the numbers cutting through the marketing stuff.

Last time I switched they told me to take a two-year contract from electric Ireland.

Although if you're asking to use it as a reference point for a tax return you could probably massage the leccy usage upwards for taxi use.Leccy cars still lose power when parked in the kesh/rank with the heating on.So one number doesn't fit all.

With bonkers I had to calculate my rate after discount manually (17.8c/Kwh Electric and 4.77c/Kwh Gas) and enter as none of their prescribed rates for Electric Ireland corresponded with whatever deal I have. Anywasanall, after doing the math for them they suggested I could save €165.84/year by switching to a Bord Gais Energy deal which is exclusive to their site. Closer examination reveals that this isn't quite true as they used higher standing charge rates for my current deal - €18.60/year (inc.VAT) higher than actual for electricity and €8.58 higher for gas. Still, that leaves a potential saving of €138.66.

I may be able to get another 1% of the rates with Electric Ireland if I opt to pay by DD. I know I declined that 1% when I signed up so it's probably still available. Anywaysanall, I'll have to contact them and see if they want to offer me any inducement to stay loyal... when I signed up they gave me €160 cash, no questions asked and, to be fair, they gave me a €100 vulnerable customer COVID '19 credit on the electric bill a while back which goes some way to negating the potential saving. On the other hand, I'd get Tesco Clubcard points from Bord Gais Energy and (I think) the odd "exclusive" discount/offer on theatre tickets. Food for thought!

Incidentally, us filthy polluting pertrol/diesel car owners can collect Tesco Clubcard points at those card only Certa garages now - only found that out today.

https://www.certafuel.ie/tesco-clubcard/

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2021, 12:53:20 pm »

Is that about right?
I'd be surprised considering prices have gone up ?20%? in the last year alone.  Electric Ireland's latest kicks in during Dec, I believe.

I think somewhere around 10-15c/kWh for the night rate is maybe more realistic.  It's a balancing act though because the day rate usually goes up a bit in these deals.  Most have a washing machine, dishwasher, computers, clothes dryer, cooker etc.   If your house is one that uses the cooker a lot & maybe runs the washing machine every day, you might save money on your EV during the night but lose money during the day, if you know what I mean?  You have to be organised and run your washing machine at night etc.

Also, ESB Networks have a plan to install smart meters in every house by 2024.  Smart meters at the moment can't do the day/night rates so if you've got a smart meter, you're out of luck getting a night rate of any description.

Also, there's night rates and there's night rates.  An average EV takes 7 hrs to recharge at home so a decent night rate from midnight to 8am is good.  Some night rates offer the best discount at something like 2-4am and then a not so good discount outside those night hours (midnight-2am, 4am-8am).  So that 4c/kW could be just the headline (2am-4am) and the bad news is hidden in the fine print.

Also, factor in the cost of your house charger - €600-€1,000 after the grant.

4c per Kilometre not per Kilowatt hour is what's suggested in the discount i.e. 7,500KM equates to €300 credit. As MfH suggests the average will vary from case to case but would 4c/KM be a reasonable starting point?

I currently pay 17.80c + VAT/Kwh but my meter is thick as shit.

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2021, 12:55:58 pm »
Just curious RC but what's the reason for not going direct debit by default?

Having to visit the post office to pay my bills sounds like a pain.Even though it's around the corner from me.I think I've been using Direct debits only for at least 25 years.

Show Unread Posts