Author Topic: Do FreeNow promotions break the PSV rules/ethos?  (Read 1761 times)

Offline watty

Do FreeNow promotions break the PSV rules/ethos?
« on: December 29, 2021, 07:20:23 pm »
Another holiday weekend & FreeNow is encouraging taxi drivers via monetary incentives to do 2 or 3 FN jobs per hour for 3 hours over the weekend.  With those sort of time pressures,  a taxi driver is likely to have to refuse street fares to make quotas like 7 jobs in 3 hours. 

AFAIK, a taxi driver can only officially refuse a fare for 3 reasons:
- passenger is too drunk or potentially dangerous
- there's a risk they might not pay
- the distance is over 30km

I don't think you can refuse a passenger because you're waiting for the app to ping.  And even though you might have a job offer on the screen, the potential passenger can cancel it at a whim with no consequences.  FreeNow certainly won't give you a cancellation/scrub fee just because you were almost at the potential passenger's house.  The job doesn't start for certain until the potential FreeNow passenger actually gets in the taxi.

So is FreeNow encouraging us to break the law by driving past street customers with the potential offer of a job that may or may not happen in a few minutes?  If you got reported, would you honestly tell the NTA inspector you drove past the definitive customer (with their hand out) because you might have had a potential job 10 minutes down the job but you couldn't be sure until you got there.

Does it also discriminate against people with disabilities who cannot use the app to order a taxi?  Remember FreeNow doesn't offer a phone service to anybody.  These disabled people might rely on street hailing or the ranks but if drivers ignore them because their phone pings (or might ping in a few minutes within the 3 hour promotional window), that's a bit naughty and contrary to the 'public service' part of our PSV licence!

Offline Tony

Re: Do FreeNow promotions break the PSV rules/ethos?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2021, 08:03:33 pm »
Another holiday weekend & FreeNow is encouraging taxi drivers via monetary incentives to do 2 or 3 FN jobs per hour for 3 hours over the weekend.  With those sort of time pressures,  a taxi driver is likely to have to refuse street fares to make quotas like 7 jobs in 3 hours. 

I don't think you can refuse a passenger because you're waiting for the app to ping.  And even though you might have a job offer on the screen, the potential passenger can cancel it at a whim with no consequences.  FreeNow certainly won't give you a cancellation/scrub fee just because you were almost at the potential passenger's house.  The job doesn't start for certain until the potential FreeNow passenger actually gets in the taxi.

So is FreeNow encouraging us to break the law by driving past street customers with the potential offer of a job that may or may not happen in a few minutes?  If you got reported, would you honestly tell the NTA inspector you drove past the definitive customer (with their hand out) because you might have had a potential job 10 minutes down the job but you couldn't be sure until you got there.

Does it also discriminate against people with disabilities who cannot use the app to order a taxi?  Remember FreeNow doesn't offer a phone service to anybody.  These disabled people might rely on street hailing or the ranks but if drivers ignore them because their phone pings (or might ping in a few minutes within the 3 hour promotional window), that's a bit naughty and contrary to the 'public service' part of our PSV licence!

Is that you erm?
Mr. T-bag to you

Offline watty

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 08:19:33 pm »
No, would he use paragraphs?

Offline Octavia1

• It's my field
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2021, 10:15:29 pm »
 rofl

Offline Belker

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2021, 10:40:20 pm »
During one quest, I was on 3 jobs done at 8.20 pm and a Fourth close by job was offered to me going 22.7km's away, most usually l would be all over this juicy job but I declined it fer financial reasons.

The thinking being that the job would be worth about 46 Euro less 7 in commission and if I did it then I would not make made my 7 job Bobo by 10pm. Instead I stuck to the city and suburbs and got 4 more fares + the Bobo by 9.45pm.
If'n I had taken the 22.7km job fer 39 notes then I would not have made the 40 Bobo so I would have being doing the job fer nothing !
By staying with the short hops in the city I got the required extra 4 jobs at full fare + PUC + Bobo.

Offline Bubba Ho-Tep

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2021, 10:44:24 pm »

Sheep are meant to be sheared I suppose.

Offline Octavia1

• It's my field
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2021, 10:45:21 pm »
 a combinatorial explosion is the rapid growth of the complexity of a problem due to how the combinatorics of the problem is affected by the input, constraints, and bounds of the problem. Combinatorial explosion is sometimes used to justify the intractability of certain problems.....

Watty ....yur overthinking the problem .....just drive past the cnuts ... :-\

Offline Belker

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2021, 10:51:14 pm »

........ I don't think you can refuse a passenger because you're waiting for the app to ping.....

....... And even though you might have a job offer on the screen, the potential passenger can cancel it at a whim with no consequences.......
I'm not so sure that passing a street hail constitutes refusing a passenger ??

Secondly, potential passengers are charged a Fiver cancellation fee if they cancel after 2 minutes of the job being accepted.

Offline Bob Shillin

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2021, 01:02:16 am »
Reasonably sure that the rules only apply when "standing for hire at a rank".
"Many a road taken by many a first friend
And each one I've never seen again
I wish, I wish, I wish in vain
That we could sit simply in that room again
Ten thousand dollars at the drop of a hat
I'd give it all gladly if our lives could be like that" BD's Dream

Offline John m

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2021, 02:00:40 am »
WHAT RULES ?No good complaining now when there is no work you sold your work for medals and stickers .

Offline Bob Shillin

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2021, 02:52:17 am »
WHAT RULES ?No good complaining now when there is no work you sold your work for medals and stickers .
TFI rules regarding the right yo refuse a fare.
"Many a road taken by many a first friend
And each one I've never seen again
I wish, I wish, I wish in vain
That we could sit simply in that room again
Ten thousand dollars at the drop of a hat
I'd give it all gladly if our lives could be like that" BD's Dream

Offline John m

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2021, 02:57:58 am »
TFI rules regarding the right yo refuse a fare.

No such thing .Read between the lines if you think they are Drunk unlikely to pay or feel threatened that just about means no Rules do what you like we have you covered .

Offline Shallow Hal

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2021, 06:58:45 am »
Passing a street hail doesn't constitute refusing a fare....you could always say you're on your way to charge your car!!

Offline watty

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2021, 07:02:27 am »
 rofl

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2021, 12:39:42 pm »
Turn the roof sin off and don't park on a designated or unofficial rank... simples?

Show Unread Posts