Author Topic: Taxi driver havin' a giraffe...  (Read 741 times)

Offline silverbullet

Taxi driver havin' a giraffe...
« on: January 01, 2022, 07:17:00 pm »
SOME NECK Driver who claimed 'broken neck' has insurance claim thrown out of court
Taxi driver who claimed €60,000 damages after a 'minimal impact' rear-ending has case thrown out
Paul Odedele talking to our man

Patrick O'Connell

December 29 2021 08:30 AM

Meet the taxi driver whose €60,000 claim for damages was thrown out - after the Circuit Court heard he'd shouted for an ambulance for 'a broken neck' after a 'minimal impact rear-ending'.

Paul Odedele told the Sunday World he now regrets taking the case to court - as it means he has lost out on an earlier offer of damages of €15,950 from the Personal Injuries Assessment Board.

But the 63-year-old also insisted his claim "was not dodgy" and that he remains injured by the "low impact collision" which took place more than four years ago.

He also claims he was traumatised as he has "a brother who was involved in an accident like that who is in a wheelchair."

"I didn't go out to make any dodgy claim," he said.

"The accident happened. I suffered, at the time [of the accident]. I was dizzy, I felt my neck and my back was injured.

"So naturally I should have been compensated and there's no doubt about that."

Judge Cormac Quinn disagreed, however, after hearing evidence in relation to Mr Odedele's claim when it came before Dublin Circuit Court last week.

Mr Odedele told the court he had been sitting in traffic near the Santry crossroads on the Swords Road, Dublin, on the evening of August 25, 2017, when his taxi had been struck from behind.

Paul Odedele, taxi driver. Pic: Sunday World

He claimed the collision had been a high-impact one and he thought his neck had been broken.

A garda who had been called to the scene had found him sitting in the rear passenger seat of his taxi with his feet outside the vehicle.

The court heard Mr Odedele had been shouting to the driver of the other car, Ms Kennedy, to call an ambulance for him.

But Judge Quinn said he could not find any link between what was an accident on the "low scale of minimal" impact and his shouting for an ambulance because he felt he had a broken neck.

He told defence barrister Moira Flahive the court accepted her emphasis relating to the damage to both cars - a hairline crack to the back bumper of Odedele's taxi and a small crack to the front number plate of the defendant's car.

Ms Flahive, who appeared on behalf of the insurers of Ciara Kennedy, Hillsborough, Co Down, also told Mr Odedele in cross-examination that he had not made a single complaint about neck pain during five hours he spent in the emergency department of Beaumont Hospital after the accident.

Throwing out Mr Odedele's personal injuries claim and awarding costs against him, Judge Quinn said Mr Odedele had not even sought an estimate for a repair to his taxi and had not carried out any repair.

Judge Quinn said the level of severity of the collision was not consistent with Mr Odedele's claim of a suspected broken neck at the time and his evidence of continuing back and shoulder pain.

"I do not accept the veracity of the plaintiff's evidence in relation to his injuries," Judge Quinn said.

"He has not established his case and I dismiss his claim with costs to the defendant."

Asked about his reaction to how his case had turned out, Mr Odedele said: "In the court I was more or less on trial and that was very unfair to me.

"The accident that happened, I didn't cause it. The lady hit me.

"And as I stated in the court I was dizzy, and I felt my neck.

"So, when the lady come to me I asked her to call the ambulance as I was feeling sick.

"She called the guards and the ambulance came and that was the story.

"I told them in the hospital I thought I had a broken neck and they said it was probably T1 or T2 of the neck.

"But then they took me for x-ray and told me there was no broken bone and I was glad.

"Because I don't want to be disabled.

"Even if I was paid to be in a wheelchair, I wouldn't want that.

"I had pain. I had ongoing pain and I went to my GP who examined me, and he found I had swelling between my scapula and my back. Possibly, it is still there.

"I was awarded €15,595 by PIAB."

"But now the PIAB award has been withdrawn because the judge dismissed the case."

Asked about the lack of damage to his vehicle and the fact he hadn't even bothered to get it repaired, Mr Odedele said: "I was about to buy this car at that time, so I didn't care to repair the car.

"And it is true that there wasn't any big damage on my bumper.

"The other lady's car … the guards said only the number plate was broken.

"The judge's decision was that was a low impact, which the defendants also argued, therefore it was inconsistent with any claims that I had for a neck or back injury.

"But I wasn't claiming for my back or neck. I was claiming for the injury to my scapula."

Asked whether, in spite of the case's outcome, he maintains his claim he is still suffering, Mr Odedele answered: "I am still suffering trauma because this injury wakes me up at night.

"I continue to suffer the trauma."

Asked whether this included psychological trauma, Mr Odedele replied: "Yes. I cried a lot when I was taken to Beaumont.

"One of the reasons why my trauma continues is that I have a brother who was involved in an accident like that who is in a wheelchair.

"So, I keep thinking about it.

"And I say God I am just thankful that I do not end up in that trouble.

"The money, if it has been withdrawn by the judge, I don't care about it.

"If anyone offered me €100,000 to be in the wheelchair, I would not take it."

https://www.sundayworld.com/crime/courts/driver-who-claimed-broken-neck-has-insurance-claim-thrown-out-of-court-41182536.html

Offline Shallow Hal

Re: Taxi driver havin' a giraffe...
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2022, 08:14:27 pm »
"If anyone offered me €100,000 to be in the wheelchair, I would not take it."

It's usually.."if ye don't give me a 100k.....you'll end up in wheelchair!!"

And I do believe he won't be getting the €15,950 that the PIAB approved!!

Offline markmiwurdz

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2022, 08:35:09 pm »
And he had trials for the Nigerian soccer team and it didn't help,Judge obviously an Egg Chaser or a GAAHHHHHHH head.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2022, 12:38:18 pm »
Them immigrants get an auful time from the courts. He shoulda known better and taken the PIAB offer.

Offline Shallow Hal

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2022, 02:23:21 pm »
He obviously decided not to take the advice of his brief.....with not much damage other than a small crack on his bumper that he didn't even bother his bollox getting a repair estimate and no medical report of any broken neck clearly the ka-ching was ringing louder in his ears than his solicitors voice.....greedy bollox!!

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2022, 10:22:02 pm »
Maybe the brief advised him to go to court but s/he should know immigrants never do well in front of a judge. Still, at least he escaped with his life, immigrants have been shot for less.

Offline watty

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2022, 09:51:05 am »
He coulda got €15k from PIAB.  I wonder who got greedy and went for the €60k - him, his family or his legal advisors?  Somebody's not getting a Xmas card next year  >:(

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2022, 01:54:55 pm »
He coulda got €15k from PIAB.  I wonder who got greedy and went for the €60k - him, his family or his legal advisors?  Somebody's not getting a Xmas card next year  >:(
Considering the brief would take upwards of 66% of any reward, 66% of €15K is better than 0% of €60K.

No foal no fee just horse kicked both the brief and the claimant. Now watch him trying to get insurance next year.

Offline Shallow Hal

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2022, 02:56:05 pm »
The way it was described....thinking his neck was fukin broken....I'd say it was his decision to go the whole hog,his brief had a payday with the PIAB award and with no court attendance....just submitting medical reports(was there any?)medical expenses(was there any?),estimates(none) and out of pocket expenses(god fukin knows)....he was goin for gold the minute his neck wasn't broken!!

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2022, 02:56:27 pm »
66% is mad. Is that what they charge immigrants these days?

Taxi Fair (01 4851996) is the best quote for insurance I have so far.

Offline Shallow Hal

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2022, 02:58:26 pm »
66% is mad. Is that what they charge immigrants these days?

Taxi Fair (01 4851996) is the best quote for insurance I have so far.

How much?
Don't be given us a half story!!

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2022, 03:01:49 pm »
Only have a half story so far. €1,650 with all the bells and whistles via Liberty, via FBD to follow. The new BJP want €1,780

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2022, 02:58:28 pm »
€1,590 via FBD (Taxi Fair).... BJP to call back with another bid.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2022, 02:59:32 pm »
Didn't hear back from the new BJP so went with FBD via Taxi Fair on instalments -  just in case the COVID '19 anall comes back or evolves into COVID '20 anall, COVID '21 anall or COVID '22 anall - 303 deposit plus 10 instalments of €135 = €1653 all in.

Show Unread Posts