Author Topic: No way  (Read 1500 times)

Offline John m

No way
« on: January 06, 2022, 04:58:58 pm »
Transport Minister Eamon Ryan is increasing the penalties for motorists caught parking on footpaths, cycle tracks and bus lanes.

The fixed charge is set to double from €40 to €80. The new €80 penalties will come into effect from February 1.

Speaking today, Mr Ryan said the penalties will encourage a more “considerate” use of road space.

“I am very pleased to announce these increased penalties which will both promote active travel and encourage a more considerate use of road space,” he said.

Read More
Revealed: Counties that issued most parking tickets during the pandemic
Mr Ryan said parking on footpaths and cycle lanes endangers cyclists and puts vulnerable pedestrians at risk.

“Parking on footpaths puts vulnerable pedestrians, such as wheelchair users and those pushing buggies, at significant risk by forcing them off the footpath and into traffic.

"Parking in bus and cycle lanes endangers cyclists and undermines State investment in sustainable public transport infrastructure.

“These increases should help improve the safety of all vulnerable road and footpath users, by creating a more effective deterrent to these specific forms of illegal parking,” he said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Minister of State with responsibility for Road Safety, Hildegarde Naughton, also welcomed the increases.

“Obstructing footpaths, bus lanes and cycle tracks can confront vulnerable road users, such as pedestrians and cyclists, with particularly dangerous obstacles on busy roads, while also forcing tricky manoeuvres upon buses and cars who may be attempting to overtake such careless parking.

“These new penalties will safeguard families and communities as they make use of our growing network of active travel infrastructure and will encourage more people to walk and cycle as Government invests almost €1m per day on projects across the country,” she said.

SOME OF THE NARROWER SIDE STREETS AROUND THE NORTH AND SOUTH CIRCULAR will be no go .Traffic policy by Torture .They really dont want motorists so should put more work our way especially if they release more licences to increase the amount of drivers .(and you know they will )

Offline silverbullet

Re: No way
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2022, 06:23:32 pm »
Parking partially, or wholly on a footpath is already an offence...largely ignored by the Gardaí, and rightly so.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 02:51:19 pm »
There's definitely scope for substantially increasing fines attached to fixed penalty notices. Insurance firms are making more out of motorists who collect penalty points than accrues to relevant fines. Increase them all ten fold and ring fence monies raised to enforcement.

Offline TheDevilHimself

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 01:09:44 am »
yes way.
Four legs good, two legs bad!

Offline Shallow Hal

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2022, 02:16:57 pm »
To be fair RC....govts past and present haven't got form for ringfencing any monies raised from fines or otherwise.....I mean,the Greens and their carbon tax which will be spent foolishly on reports by Hooke & Crook....which will never see the light of day.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2022, 02:52:23 pm »
That's the problem. The infrastructure is there e.g. speed limit signs but there's no enforcement.

Offline Dr. Martin Gooter Bling

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2022, 03:09:23 pm »
the n32 should be a wunner not 60km/hr.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 03:45:58 pm »
60 is plenty fast enough but it's not enforced so it makes no difference.

Offline Bob Shillin

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2022, 04:04:30 pm »
It should be mandatory for all cars to be fitted with "active speed limiting", easily overrideable of course, but if I do override it then they can throw the book at me. Of course that would greatly help traffic accidents. but greatly decrease fines income. Many speeding offences are simply loss of focus in today's very busy world.
"Many a road taken by many a first friend
And each one I've never seen again
I wish, I wish, I wish in vain
That we could sit simply in that room again
Ten thousand dollars at the drop of a hat
I'd give it all gladly if our lives could be like that" BD's Dream

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2022, 02:44:27 pm »
Certainly for all new cars and definitely for all taxis and delivery vehicles.

Offline Bob Shillin

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2022, 03:35:00 pm »
I've no problem with 60kph and upwards, it's 30kph and 50 kph that are the problem. To keep at 30kph on the empty  Strand Rd at 4am on the way to DAP is ridiculous, and customers would not be happy. Other than that I can happily drive at 50kph as long as my speed limiter helps me, but I can easily, unconsiously, drive up to 10k faster if I forget to reset the speeed limiter when re igniting the engine, as it is usually, for me, a natural safe speed on empty road.

Offline watty

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2022, 03:43:15 pm »
My car has a sensor that's supposed to read the speed limit signs but it's very hit and miss.  More miss tbh.  And lots of signs are unreadable because they're filthy and/or hidden behind bushes.

Random bugbear of mine.  There's often a speed van outside McGowans pub in Phibsboro because... reasons.  Anyway what's the speed limit from Church St to Phibsboro Shopping Centre?  AFAIK, there ain't any speed limit signs from the Four Courts up to the Brian Boru pub.  So is it the default 'regional road' 80 km/hr or a city 50 km/hr or Dublin's 30 km/hr or something else?  For lots of people, there's an €80 ticket riding on it.

Offline Bob Shillin

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2022, 04:15:15 pm »
Have they changed Strand Rd back to 50kph? There are 2 new ramps just after Merrion gates, and apparently more planned. There are still 2 x 30kph signs on Strand Rd. but the flashing signs which used to flash red if one went over 30kph now flash yellow, and if one goes over 50kph they now flash red, but give a smiley face if one reverts back to say 48kph. I see a load of new empty sign poles have been erected along Strand Rd also, presumeably for more speed signs or for more ramp signs.

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2022, 07:07:15 pm »
Have they changed Strand Rd back to 50kph? There are 2 new ramps just after Merrion gates, and apparently more planned. There are still 2 x 30kph signs on Strand Rd. but the flashing signs which used to flash red if one went over 30kph now flash yellow, and if one goes over 50kph they now flash red, but give a smiley face if one reverts back to say 48kph. I see a load of new empty sign poles have been erected along Strand Rd also, presumeably for more speed signs or for more ramp signs.
Was that you parked on Glenangeary Road last night circa 02.41?

Offline Bob Shillin

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2022, 07:36:05 pm »
Very possible, probably, am often there.

Show Unread Posts