Author Topic: No Signal = No Fare  (Read 918 times)

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
No Signal = No Fare
« on: June 17, 2022, 09:44:22 pm »
Thanks to the 'erm.

Email From NTA:

Good afternoon,

Today, following public consultations which concluded on 27 May, the NTA Board met to consider the proposed National Maximum Taxi Fare increase and Small Public Service Vehicle (Cashless Payment Facility) Regulations. 

The Board approved both the proposed increase of the National Maximum Taxi Fare and the Small Public Service Vehicle (Cashless Payment Facility) Regulations. The 2022 Maximum Fare increase is a weighted average of 12% to reflect the increase in operating costs faced by taxi drivers, together with the introduction of the cashless payment facility mandate. The cashless payment facility regulations will make it mandatory for all taxis to have an in-taxi point of sale cashless payment device and for cashless payments to be accepted for taxi journeys when requested by customers.

Both will be introduced in parallel and will take effect from 1 September 2022.

Guidelines for the Acceptance of Cashless Payments in Taxis will be published on the Forms & Guides section of NTA’s website in due course.

Yours sincerely,

National Transport Authority

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
Re: No Signal = No Fare
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 09:49:57 pm »
I was in the Doctor's office last week... cash only.

Does the Cowens' bar take card payments yet?

Online John m

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2022, 08:11:58 am »
Ah Steve your hubris knows no bounds .Lounging in your Jocks and socks and Marks and Spencer black slippon shoes on your Sunlounger in the back yard of your palatial Manor House by the sea .You will place a wager on a steed in the 3.30 at Utoxeter and accept your winnings by electronic exchange with no fear of not getting paid  .You during your Dr Manlove phase accepted your Three and a half in Covid Ransom by electronic transfer .Given the option of lugging your finely fed torso down to Boylesports to have three cross doubles and a treble on a paper docket scribbled in pencil and paid on in cash or gently stroking the buttons on your  Apple B52 to place a wager I think the Clever Phone would win out .

I shall be communicating this week with the relevant authority on the wording of the In car credit facilities and suggesting that Drivers MUST PROVIDE facilities as opposed to Drivers MUST ACCEPT .The difference between Provision and acceptance leaves us room to request cash if the internet is not working If we must Provide then we have a get out, we provided but if we must accept then we may not have a legal option to demand cash payment if there are technical problems beyond our control .
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 08:15:14 am by John m »

Offline taxi1990

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2022, 09:31:03 am »
Could they not have just offered an incentive to have credit card facilities available?

Online John m

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2022, 09:55:08 am »
Could they not have just offered an incentive to have credit card facilities available?

There is a huge incentive .WE get back our customers from the apps .I speak to EVERY SINGLE CUSTOMER THAT GETS IN MY CAR none of them know we pay 15% commission most customers think its FREE to use .I was talking to a girl one night asked her How much money she got paid .She told me to mind my own business .I said make up a figure so she said 2600 a month .I asked are you paid in 50 or 20 Euro notes ? She said no it gets paid into the bank .So I said You have never actually recieved CASH for your work instead you get Tradeable Tokens .Your boss puts 2600 worth of these tokens into your bank you give me some of them in the app for your fare I give them to the Garage for Fuel .If you actually want REAL CASH MONEY you need to put a card in a cash machine and take out cash from your account and pay your bank for giving you your own money .1990 in Dublin most customers late night use the app because they do not have coin on their hip they are desensitized from cash they never earned cash .The incentive if you want one is When passengers realize they can pay by card that will put HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of fares back into circulation from app providers .The incentive is we take back our work from the apps .I have my Suitability renewal this week then I will be going to Core Signs to see Davie and get some door stickers to show I take All Cards .This is a great development for our industry I will be asking the NTA to carry out a Media and Press release to hilight this tremendous development .The fact we take card will not stop us taking cash it just gives OUR customers more choices .

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2022, 10:09:45 am »
I'd say the pensioners are gonna have to consider leaving the industry as they'll be hounded by people wanting to pay by cards on the ranks.

This will just result in less cash overall.We might get a tiny bit back from the apps but our passengers have gotten used to us driving to them.They're completely spoiled.

Now we're gonna be paying 2% on our steetwork and no PUC..hard to see any positives.

Online John m

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2022, 10:15:24 am »
I'd say the pensioners are gonna have to consider leaving the industry as they'll be hounded by people wanting to pay by cards on the ranks.

This will just result in less cash overall.We might get a tiny bit back from the apps but our passengers have gotten used to us driving to them.They're completely spoiled.

Now we're gonna be paying 2% on our steetwork and no PUC..hard to see any positives.

Streetwork will return especially for night time drivers .If you read the 12% increase they added on a bit to cover CC charges .I can see Doris and Doreen wanting to be picked up from the House when they are going out but not wanting to stand around on Harcourt Street @4Am watching Donal taking a piss while waiting on Mohamed or Seamus to find them in his taxi as they watch yellow lights drive by looking for fares .The PUC is for service rendered its not free money it costs you to go find them and wait .

Offline taxi1990

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2022, 10:26:48 am »

There is a huge incentive .WE get back our customers from the apps .I speak to EVERY SINGLE CUSTOMER THAT GETS IN MY CAR none of them know we pay 15% commission most customers think its FREE to use .I was talking to a girl one night asked her How much money she got paid .She told me to mind my own business .I said make up a figure so she said 2600 a month .I asked are you paid in 50 or 20 Euro notes ? She said no it gets paid into the bank .So I said You have never actually recieved CASH for your work instead you get Tradeable Tokens .Your boss puts 2600 worth of these tokens into your bank you give me some of them in the app for your fare I give them to the Garage for Fuel .If you actually want REAL CASH MONEY you need to put a card in a cash machine and take out cash from your account and pay your bank for giving you your own money .1990 in Dublin most customers late night use the app because they do not have coin on their hip they are desensitized from cash they never earned cash .The incentive if you want one is When passengers realize they can pay by card that will put HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of fares back into circulation from app providers .The incentive is we take back our work from the apps .I have my Suitability renewal this week then I will be going to Core Signs to see Davie and get some door stickers to show I take All Cards .This is a great development for our industry I will be asking the NTA to carry out a Media and Press release to hilight this tremendous development .The fact we take card will not stop us taking cash it just gives OUR customers more choices .

Where I work the apps don't even work. so it wont help me in the slightest. People tip less while paying by card. People who drink a lot often haven't a penny on their cards either.

Offline Shallow Hal

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2022, 01:32:53 pm »
I'm sure FN have planned to put their hands deeper into our 12% like they preempted the last increase that didn't happen!!

Offline markmiwurdz

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2022, 03:04:30 pm »
I'm sure FN have planned to put their hands deeper into our 12% like they preempted the last increase that didn't happen!!

With Bolt and Uber snappin at their heels it would be a stupendously tick thing to do.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2022, 10:27:50 am »
It'd take a braver man than me to stop for the kinda riff-raf that hails off the street in a lot of the areas I work. To be fair, dispatch firms' offering eHiling facilities has resulted in making our services available to many clients who we simply wouldn't stop for on the street. Similarly, there is a much higher concentration of riff-raff among those who continue to street hail. In many cases there's a reason they want to avoid all potential technological tracking and such like.

Offline watty

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2022, 10:33:23 am »
Proof that God has a sense of humour... Sumup isn't working for me this morning and I've messed up my FN app.  >:D

My phone got a software update this morning so that might account for sumup.  Can anyone confirm sumup is working for them this Sunday morning?

Online John m

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2022, 11:11:20 am »
Proof that God has a sense of humour... Sumup isn't working for me this morning and I've messed up my FN app.  >:D

My phone got a software update this morning so that might account for sumup.  Can anyone confirm sumup is working for them this Sunday morning?

Watty Get a Stripe card reader they are about 16 euro .it plugs into the charging port on the phone and you just swipe the magnetic strip .You can also get square just have a back up to Sum Up or Revolute .

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2022, 11:17:04 am »
Silly spending money on stuff like that before NTA publishes the technical documentation specifying requirements for compulsory card payment facilities due for implementation in September, IMO. They may well specify integration with the taximeter, offline (delayed) processing capacity, NSAI verified/sealed units or whatever else TfL might have already thought of.... none of which will come cheap!

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2022, 11:25:42 am »
Thanks Erm!

Show Unread Posts