Author Topic: Taxi drivers hit out at cashless payment mandate  (Read 1151 times)

Offline Tony

Re: Taxi drivers hit out at cashless payment mandate
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2022, 06:37:24 pm »
Did they use Electric Vans ?

They did indeed John, or drum battery as they were called, all the bakeries Mother's Pride, Boland's, JMOB ,  Buttercrust had them
Mr. T-bag to you

Offline Punter

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2022, 07:44:18 pm »
As did Merville and TEK  Dairies

Offline Cool Boola

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2022, 08:04:23 pm »
They could do,20MPH. downhill[/color]
Dis an Dat Im not a rat

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2022, 09:25:17 pm »
They could do,20MPH. downhill[/color]
History
The laundry was founded by John W. Brittain (1872–1937) from Manorhamilton, County Leitrim, who was one of the "pioneers of the laundry business in Ireland", having founded the Metropolitan and White Heather Laundries in 1899. He was also the owner of a famous horse called Swastika Rose which was well known "to frequenters of the Royal Dublin's Society's Shows".[1] The use of the Swastika name was as an ancient Indian symbol of good luck: its name originates from the Sanskrit svastika.[2]

The company used electric vans, painted in red with a white swastika on a black roundel, to collect and deliver laundry to customers.[1] The vans were quite ahead of their time.[1][3]

In 1939, the laundry changed its name to "The Swastika Laundry (1912)"[2] to make clear the distinction between its use of the name and symbol and the more recent adoption of the symbol by the Nazi Party in Germany.

It continued to exist as a separate company until the late 1960s, when it was bought out by the Spring Grove Laundry company, which continued to operate from the same site in Ballsbridge.[4] Nevertheless, the logo and name continued in use until the premises closed in 1987.[1]

Later history of site
Even following the closure of the laundry, its brick chimney, emblazoned with a large white swastika, remained visible for some years from many places in the surrounding area, including the Merrion Road, a main road south from Dublin.

Spring Grove sold the property for redevelopment in the early 21st century during the Dublin property boom of the 1990s and 2000s, as Ballsbridge was by then a popular and exclusive area of Dublin 4. An office development called "The Oval" was constructed on the site. The chimney, which is a protected structure, survives, but the painted swastika does not. The chimney is surrounded by the "oval" of the new development.[1]

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2022, 09:28:23 pm »
As kids we used to joke:

Q, What's the fastest thing on four wheels?

A, An Ethiopian bread van!

Q, What's the fastest thing on two legs?

A, An Ethiopian chasing a bread van!! 8)

Offline Tony

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2022, 10:16:38 pm »

Mr. T-bag to you

Offline Dr. Martin Gooter Bling

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2022, 10:31:50 pm »
As kids we used to joke:

Q, What's the fastest thing on four wheels?

A, An Ethiopian bread van!

Q, What's the fastest thing on two legs?

A, An Ethiopian chasing a bread van!! 8)

What's the definition of torture.
A one armed Somalian hangin off a cliff with a mars bar in his pocket.

Offline Octavia1

• It's my field

Offline Tony

Mr. T-bag to you

Offline Octavia1

• It's my field
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2022, 12:59:25 am »
Things we used to joke bout in school are  now  considered incitement to hatred or racist .....a crime

I don't believe anyone on here is racist but wer livin in a very different world now   and the perception out there  is that irish white taxi drivers are endemically racists ....
a generalisation that personally I  disagree with but thats your stereotypical profile ....we should not encourage such generalisations even in jest ...
we all know that Dr gooters swastika is tongue
In cheek ....an we all  know thers nobody  more anti racist than ratcatcher....but thers people out there that have  the power of print that can construe or misinterpret comments or language  or symbols to their advantage to make themselves  appear good and wholesome  to a Naive and  easily influenced public and even possibly the judicial industry....
In Germany as far as I can recall...displaying a swastika is a crime and can lead to 3 years imprisonment...
Ireland is not far behind ...
Everything you print here is permanent and can be used against
You ....
Keep it in mind ...as I've said before ...human apes are very dangerous .....especially journalistic predators

« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 01:15:35 am by Octavia1 »

Offline Octavia1

• It's my field
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2022, 12:59:41 am »
 oops

Offline Octavia1

• It's my field
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2022, 01:01:03 am »
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/apartheid-alive-and-well-on-taxi-ranks-29839087.html

That's from December 14 2013

At 10:12 PM

It doesn't matter Tony....perhaps it's an indication we have to be even  more  vigilant  since
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 01:11:44 am by Octavia1 »

Offline Tony

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2022, 06:57:45 am »
Things we used to joke bout in school are  now  considered incitement to hatred or racist .....a crime

I don't believe anyone on here is racist but wer livin in a very different world now   and the perception out there  is that irish white taxi drivers are endemically racists ....
a generalisation that personally I  disagree with but thats your stereotypical profile ....we should not encourage such generalisations even in jest ...
In cheek ....an we all  know thers nobody  more anti racist than ratcatcher....but thers people out there that have  the power of print that can construe or misinterpret comments or language  or symbols to their advantage to make themselves  appear good and wholesome  to a Naive and  easily influenced public and even possibly the judicial industry....
In Germany as far as I can recall...displaying a swastika is a crime and can lead to 3 years imprisonment...
You ....
Keep it in mind ...as I've said before ...human apes are very dangerous .....especially journalistic predators

Did the love of your life type that for you?
Mr. T-bag to you

Offline Octavia1

• It's my field
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2022, 07:53:14 am »

You ....

Did the love of your life type that for you?

Not sure wat ya mean Tony???

I'm just saying being paranoid is a good thing nowadays.....
Wer living in a very big asylum ....and the inmates are in charge ...I've  absolutely no doubt about that whatsoever

Online John m

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2022, 08:09:24 am »
Occi told you  before a lot of Journalists harvest their ideas off of public forums .I dont know how many things I posted were in Newsprint a few days later with just a few full Stops and commas added .There is not a Journalist in the Country honest enough to write on the sudden demise of some of our top horse trainers since Jim Bolger made his drugs in sport accusations or Call out Leo for taking Official Government papers and giving that Pay Information to his friends .One of the definition of Treason is taking advantage of your position to prosper for yourself or others from your position .Im sure SIPTU or other Unions would love to get their hands on Government pay deals with other stake holders before they sit down to deal .

Irish Journalism is at its lowest ebb for years all they are interested in is which Hutch or Kinahan gets the headlines .Selling newspapers with headlines like Conor Mc Gregor wears a new hat or Toilets blocked at Aviva leads to Shite event .

Show Unread Posts