Author Topic: Balbriggan woman damaged taxi after Good Samaritan gesture from driver  (Read 2404 times)

Offline watty

Balbriggan people and alcohol  :2cheers   ::fight    C:-)    oops

Drunk taxi woman scraped car, caused over €900 damage

A passenger who left her handbag in the back of a taxi scratched the side of the car when an argument broke out between her and the driver after he returned the bag to her.

Catherine Brady (50) panicked as she had medical supplies and insulin in her handbag, a court heard.  She had been drinking and had no recollection of the incident.  Judge John Cheatle adjourned the case to a date in October, saying he would strike the matter out if Brady paid compensation for the damage she caused.  The defendant, of Pinewood Green Lawns, Balbriggan, admitted a charge of criminal damage to a taxi cab last September 4.

Gda Eoin O'Brien told Swords District Court that the taxi driver collected Brady and he dropped her off in Balbriggan.  He later received a call from the company he worked for that Brady had left her handbag in the back of his vehicle.  The driver had not noticed the handbag, Gda O'Brien said.  The driver went to Brady's home to return the bag. There was a dispute, and during the row Brady got an implement and scraped the side door of the taxi and a rear tail-light.  The cost to repair the damage to the vehicle was €910, Gda O'Brien said.  He also said that Brady had "so much alcohol on board".

The court heard Brady had never been in trouble before.  Defence lawyer Patrick Jackson said Brady, a mother-of-three, was a "very vulnerable person".  She had been drinking and could not recall this incident.  At the time, "life had got on top of her", Mr Jackson said. However, he added that this was a "once-off incident".  There had been medical supplies, including insulin, in Brady's handbag, the court heard.  Mr Jackson said Brady wished to apologise to the court, and she had not come to the attention of gardai since.  The defendant was not a person of means, but was willing to pay compensation.

john m

BALBRIGGAN ..................Lovely SETTLED comunity .

Offline Tony

BALBRIGGAN ..................Lovely SETTLED comunity .

I'd rather pick up in Tyrellstown
Mr. T-bag to you

john m

BALBRIGGAN ON TOUR .....A man is in a serious condition following a stabbing incident in Longford town.

The victim, who is in his 20s, sustained injuries to his head and arm during an incident at a shopping outlet car park on the Killashee Road at around 2:30pm.

He has since been flown by air ambulance to St James' Hospital in Dublin.

Independent.ie understands the incident is being linked to an inter family feud with both the victim and suspect being related to one another through marriage.

A search for the main suspect, who is well known to gardaí and was due to appear in court tomorrow in relation to road traffic offences, is currently underway.

He is believed to have fled the scene in a black jeep.

Gardaí have begun and investigation and have appealed for anyone who may have been in and around the Aldi Car Park on the Killashee Road in Longford town to contact them at (043) 3350570.

Offline stonethecrows

Itinerant or Immigrant ?
He who fears he will suffer, already suffers because he fears.

The Liffey Lip

Rather petty to be publishing this article as the defendant has proffered compensation? Let's not join the increasingly annoying list of "victims" in Irish society.

Offline watty

Don't know why this story in particular riles you.  It's a familiar pattern.

I don't remember doing it but I'm sorry anyways.  It was (insert) the drink/drugs.  I'm poor but here's a few quid for the victim.

They all offer compensation in an attempt to get off the charges. 

Also, I doubt the taxi driver drove home that night thinking, "My taxi's ruined but at least I'll get offered some money 8 or 9 months down the road".

john m

I don't remember doing it but I'm sorry anyways.  It was (insert) the drink/drugs.  I'm poor but here's a few quid for the victim.

Also, I doubt the taxi driver drove home that night thinking, "My taxi's ruined but at least I'll get offered some money 8 or 9 months down the road".

im poor but i can afford drink drugs and a taxi ...sometimes i wish i was rich enough to be  poor .

The Liffey Lip

Doesn't rile anyone, I'd say......

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
Itinerant or Immigrant ?

First time offender at the age of 50 = unlikely.

The Liffey Lip

Re: Balbriggan woman damaged taxi after Good Samaritan gesture from driver
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2019, 01:54:53 pm »
Insulin dependency can occur in middle-age...benefit of the doubt has to be extended.

Show Unread Posts