Author Topic: Starting out?  (Read 11606 times)

Offline Mucker

• Valued Contributor
Starting out?
« on: April 06, 2019, 08:41:31 pm »
Hi Lads,
I know these types of posts iritate people already in the game, but I just need advice. Long story short, years ago I used to work as a dispatcher, from ages 18 till about 22 early 2000s. Was always good craic among drivers etc. and always fancied driving myself, recently got round to doing SPSV tests, so have that all sorted.

Been looking at cars in the UK, usual stuff, partners etc. Was wondering if I imported one that was already WC converted could I get a cert handy for it anywhere in Ireland?
With the cost of insurance (fucking scandalous €7600) I'm trying to get the car as cheaply as possible. Already have approval for WAV rebate.

Sorry for asking, it's not my intention to take the food out of anyone's mouth, a lot of drivers in my town are near retirement age, any advice on setting up would be great

Also, I'm in Donegal, so I won't be mooching about Dublin on the weekend nights!

john m

Re: Starting out?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 12:08:12 am »
Contact the Tsxi regulator and ask what the standard is then ask whoever you are buying the thing off what the standard of the vehicle is .Im sure we both use the same standard .If it was me working Doneygall I would get a hack licence as most of your work will be off the phone and locals will recognise your car without a big fuck off sign and doorstickers .

Offline vandriver

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 12:19:14 am »
And when some fecker gets in your taxi and tells you it's a fiver anywhere in town,kick him out and let him walk.

Offline Panel

• Wanked out French panel van driving scum.
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 12:54:34 am »
To apply for the grant you’ll have to phone the regulator and ask the to send out a grant pack, they send ya out forms to fill out and send back. Once they receive your application depending on success they’ll send ya a letter informing you of your application success, if successful they’ll issue you a ‘provisional grant’, which basically gives you the go ahead to purchase a WAT

I’ve been lead to believe the majority of WATS are sourced from; https://www.british-car-auctions.co.uk

Make sure it’s a allied converted wat and has a metal plate inside the drivers door jam as this is *the* plate for the conversion company who converted your wat it should say stage 2 on it (van is effectively worthless without this plate)

Then imported by car transporter or ya can go over and get it yourself to save a few quid (make sure you keep the ferry receipt for ref good folks in the VRT office)

Once ya have it ya have to get a engineers report I’m lead to believe https://atecea.ie are a very reputable company to deal with, Noel is a gent he’ll give ya 3 certs for the wat (vrt, taxi reg, Nct)

Vrt (some wats don’t come with the co2 figure on the v5 for this you will have to email Peugeot in the uk quoting the chassis number and reg YOU CANNOT GET THIS FIGURE FROM PEUGEOT IRELAND) put in all your paperwork to the VRT office and then they have to asses your documentation (sqi) takes between 7-10 working days for them to get your reg, as for vrt it’s around €1600-2000 depending on what spec and engine she is.

Once ya have your reg plates send away your €175 bankers draft plus your engineers report to the regs and they get back to ya in a few days with your new plate number to pass out, in the mean time book your Nct (you’ll need your engineers report for this) and meter and stickers.

It’s fairly straight foreward once ya know what to do (as I’m lead to believe), as for savings a car ready to plate up (excluding grant and meter fit out and Sgs) on done deal they can ask for €13495.
https://www.donedeal.ie/view/19292215
Wheelchair Accessible Peugeot Partner Tepee 20

This is the process I’ve been through, my net on the road price for a 2012 Peugeot partner was €8319.79, that was with the €2500 grant, simmilar places wanted €14950 for the same van, admittedly that was on the road price too.
Hope this helps.

Offline Mr phooey

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 04:13:14 am »
There's a lot cnuts lobbying for uber down the bog.... Ide be careful investing any money in a taxi....... 450 a week in lidl no overheads...work yur way up to manager 2000 grand a week an a car, vhi,pension ....
€7600 for insurance before you make a penny and will take ya the whole year to save unless your working 7 day week hours a week....

Have you really thought this one out?
Can you not rent a taxi for a while and see how much you can earn and if you can hack it before getting loans for insurance and a car?
Best of luck anyway

john m

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 07:54:57 am »
Also consider Brexit will you be insured to cross the line into Great British Loyal Colony of Norn Eireann .If your out around Bloodyforeland and you bump into Big Dommos sisters ,sisters lover Sean Ban Ni Brian ,tell her I said hello.

Offline Mucker

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 12:45:49 pm »
 Cheers lads, a lot to think about here. Yeah, I'd looked at renting but I figured the only way to drive the insurance premium down was to take my own name policy out?
Hackney is a good shout too, will give it all a bit more thought before I invest.
Thanks again all.

Offline Jack Meoff

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2019, 01:55:57 pm »
Look into an 8 seater

Offline vandriver

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2019, 02:24:19 pm »
An 8 seater,and he's already worried about insurance cost!

Offline Jack Meoff

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2019, 03:59:19 pm »
An 8 seater,and he's already worried about insurance cost!

Same price as a car

Online silverbullet

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2019, 06:34:15 pm »
Cheers lads, a lot to think about here. Yeah, I'd looked at renting but I figured the only way to drive the insurance premium down was to take my own name policy out?
Hackney is a good shout too, will give it all a bit more thought before I invest.
Thanks again all.
Panels advice is Kosher.
Stick with it.

john m

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2019, 12:28:40 am »
yep panel is correct but dont be fooled by muppets telling you they are earning megauicks like vandriver he is a divorce  waiting to happen .Unless you only need chump change or like most of us are nut job anti social or there is no other employment dont commit coin to this game try get a job. Drive a taxi part time .In the far far long ago a sage called Francis the Sociapath opined this is only a part time gig .He is the smartest man I ever heard comment on this industry .

Offline Mr phooey

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2019, 01:31:36 am »
yep panel is correct but dont be fooled by muppets telling you they are earning megauicks like vandriver he is a divorce  waiting to happen .Unless you only need chump change or like most of us are nut job anti social or there is no other employment dont commit coin to this game try get a job. Drive a taxi part time .In the far far long ago a sage called Francis the Sociapath opined this is only a part time gig .He is the smartest man I ever heard comment on this industry .

::cheers
Very astute Mr John

john m

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2019, 01:44:20 am »
Phoey this is a great job for wasters like me .But the next downturn if you are trying to pay a motrgage and no hap or dole  you will realise you are fucked .Be carefull becoming self employed

Offline Tony

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2019, 06:00:21 am »
Ah good old  frankie the original Irish Confucius, as he said taxi drivers are narseholes mostly..
Mr. T-bag to you

Show Unread Posts