Author Topic: Starting out?  (Read 11481 times)

dalymount

Re: Starting out?
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2019, 07:09:47 am »
This could be a very good job alright,even when the next downturn comes,but only if drivers stand together and prepare for it.I believe drivers need to take back control of their industry,and have a real imput into its future.at the moment,drivers seem to be content to give over control to dispatchers who want to shape the future of the industry.by making it a legal requirement to align with them but when we hit recession,as we surely will again, and you dont have the 100 plus per week for Ebbs,Kelly Kearns, you wont be able to operate because you wont be able to pay your base fee.on the other hand,if you oppose compulsory alignment,you not only take back control of your industry,but you also take control your own business,and how we can all operate it.the government has a desire to make this a cashless,and an aligned business.at the moment ,they are pushing an open door,but the day will come when you will regret allowing the dispatchers to run the show mark my words.

Offline Jack Meoff

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2019, 07:55:01 am »
It’s only a part-time gig when you can’t drag your arse out of the cot in the morning.

dalymount

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2019, 08:06:17 am »
There are many reasons why it is perceived to be part time.the fact that drivers dont seem to have any desire to bring a level of professionalism to it doesnt help.if movements like TTNH had received proper support in the first place,by trying to eliminate double jobbers,proper vetting practices, appeals process,professional standards, etc etc if could have been a really good job,and be treated seriously.drivers only see it as a part time gig,because people keep saying its a part time gig.this job has the potential to be really good,but it needs to be taken seriously,not least by its drivers.and I suspect the first thing they need to do,is take back control from dispatchers before its to late,and it becomes compulsory to join them

The Liffey Lip

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2019, 08:40:58 am »
Motivation...........big mortgage?...kids?...huge outgoings?.........no point having more than you need in this life as it will be taken from you by someone else anyway.

dalymount

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2019, 08:51:49 am »
Yes lippy and in order to service your big morgage,provide for tour kids,etc etc you need to hold down a serious job,and my point is,drivers need to treat it seriously,and professionally,and not as some little part time number just for pin money.there are a lot of people depending on the taxi industry for a living ,but if they want to continue to benefit from it,then they need to take it seriously,and not be dismissive of it.I suggest we start by taking back control from dispatchers

The Liffey Lip

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2019, 08:56:25 am »
I'm not arguing with that, Dalyer. Most of the folks here seem to be settled, middle-aged males........those with kids who are now adults etc. I've no kids so my motivation might be different from that of a 35 yr old with 2 nippers and huge monthly debt to service....edited...no kids I mean to say.. lol

dalymount

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2019, 11:57:09 am »
Point taken lippy,but I really do believe we need to help make it a more professional industry,if only for the sake of our younger,debt  ridden colleagues.I believe as long as the strings are being pulled by dispatchers,there will be little chance of achieving that.when these dispatchers get total control,thats the rock the industry will perish on.the have the ear of the government at the moment,simply because the drivers reps are offering no opposition to the strategy they are using to run the industry the way they want.it is at a stage now,that they nearly have total alignment ,and when they get compulsory alignment,all drivers will be fukked.we will have nobody to blame but ourselves because of our willingness to sign up

Offline stonethecrows

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2019, 12:06:07 pm »
Point taken lippy,but I really do believe we need to help make it a more professional industry,if only for the sake of our younger,debt  ridden colleagues.I believe as long as the strings are being pulled by dispatchers,there will be little chance of achieving that.when these dispatchers get total control,thats the rock the industry will perish on.the have the ear of the government at the moment,simply because the drivers reps are offering no opposition to the strategy they are using to run the industry the way they want.it is at a stage now,that they nearly have total alignment ,and when they get compulsory alignment,all drivers will be fukked.we will have nobody to blame but ourselves because of our willingness to sign up
DM , would you envisage we would become employees of said companies ?
He who fears he will suffer, already suffers because he fears.

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2019, 12:06:08 pm »
For as long as most drivers are happy you'll get nowhere.Customers want to pay by card.We have the PUC back from Mytaxi.We have little to complain about while we're making a few quid.

I'm not happy the way things are but you can't change things when you're in the minority.

Offline stonethecrows

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2019, 12:07:07 pm »
For as long as most drivers are happy you'll get nowhere.Customers want to pay by card.We have the PUC back from Mytaxi.We have little to complain about while we're making a few quid.

I'm not happy the way things are but you can't change things when you're in the minority.
Agrrd MFH, unfortunately the minority count is 1
He who fears he will suffer, already suffers because he fears.

dalymount

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2019, 12:48:34 pm »
Your happy now,and everything in the garden is rosey.thats great.but because of your willingness to align,it will become compulsory in the event of time,and when the downturn comes and surely will, what are you going to do when there is no work out there,and Ebbs Kelly and Kearns have their hand out for their weekly dues.by that time mytaxi will probably be operating in such a way that they will also have to be paid

The Liffey Lip

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2019, 12:58:48 pm »
You care too much, Dalyer.

john m

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2019, 01:12:12 pm »
Dollymount you are only looking at this from one side .The customers like the app END OF .No use being a King Kenute you wont turn back the tide .

dalymount

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2019, 02:15:31 pm »
John I am aware customers like apps,but on Friday,and Saturday nights when the streets are littered with people looking for taxis,and all the apps are turned off,do you seriously think those same people care whether the taxi they are trying to engage is aligned to an app,or radio company or not ? The point being ,that people will not stop using taxis just because there are no apps available,and they wont stop using them at other times ether.

The Liffey Lip

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2019, 02:29:33 pm »
Most folks under 30 can't communicate without their phones, Dalyer. Some young fellows have to use their phones to tell a joke. I was sneered at over on Roy's for predicting that Stephen King's book "Cell" would become a blockbuster movie and that he was basing the book on what he saw happening to young people in America. Guess what.....................?

Show Unread Posts