Author Topic: Rest in peace  (Read 2628 times)

Offline Dr. Martin Gooter Bling

Re: Rest in peace
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 02:36:02 am »
am I right in saying that even if you happened to win a bet in a bookies they can still tell you to get the boat.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 01:39:01 pm »
--quote--
“He came up to me outside the old Department of Industry and Commerce building in Kildare Street, and said ‘I’ve got this great idea; we’ll be prepared to get market share, not short-term profits . . . if we go for market share, and they [the British] go for short-term profits, there can only be one winner.”
--end quote--

Words of a wise man? ... although they only accept bets from losing accounts and hopeless addicts, I guess that helps.

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 04:51:48 pm »
--quote--
“He came up to me outside the old Department of Industry and Commerce building in Kildare Street, and said ‘I’ve got this great idea; we’ll be prepared to get market share, not short-term profits . . . if we go for market share, and they [the British] go for short-term profits, there can only be one winner.”
--end quote--

Words of a wise man? ... although they only accept bets from losing accounts and hopeless addicts, I guess that helps.
I used to pick up Stewart Kenny regularly while with Metro, dropping him home to Anglesea  Road.
He smiled when I mentioned it's handy having a Dad that's a High Court judge!! 8)

Offline Belker

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 08:43:07 pm »
am I right in saying that even if you happened to win a bet in a bookies they can still tell you to get the boat.
Yes, gambling debts are not enforcable by law.

Offline Belker

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 09:01:26 pm »
--quote--
--end quote--

That all sounds very above board and very romantic, the real truth of how Paddy Power was founded would leave a bad taste in anyone's mouth !
I know the story but I'm not going to post it on a RIP topic.

Offline Bubba Ho-Tep

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 09:28:01 pm »
--quote--
--end quote--

That all sounds very above board and very romantic, the real truth of how Paddy Power was founded would leave a bad taste in anyone's mouth !
Start a separate topic..

Offline Belker

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 11:25:46 pm »
--quote--
--end quote--

Start a separate topic..
OK.

Show Unread Posts