Author Topic: Bargain?  (Read 4206 times)

Offline silverbullet

Bargain?
« on: September 04, 2019, 03:18:39 pm »

Offline stonethecrows

Re: Bargain?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 03:25:10 pm »
3 In Crumlin.  The Village, Four Roads and Sundrive X Roads, wonder which 1 is for the chop ?
He who fears he will suffer, already suffers because he fears.

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 03:51:14 pm »
3 In Crumlin.  The Village, Four Roads and Sundrive X Roads, wonder which 1 is for the chop ?

Whichever doesn't have a pub beside it!! lol

Offline stonethecrows

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 03:54:01 pm »

They all have pubs beside them
He who fears he will suffer, already suffers because he fears.

john m

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 04:23:15 pm »
They are selling the Shops not closing them .They will rent them back and free up the capital .Their share price is dropping  .Most betting now is on line .

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 04:25:18 pm »

They all have pubs beside them

And here was me thinking I was fukin hilare!!

Offline Belker

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 07:24:58 am »
€6.3M ? Maybe if it was just €6.3Euro someone might take them off their hands.
The high street Bookie game is a Dead Duck with just a few of the old 'Nokia brigade' keeping it going.
On-line betting has taken over, 15 or so years back on-line accounted fer about 10% of bets.
Today the figure is closer to 80%.

The reason any high street bookie is still open is mainly because it is cheaper to stay open running at a small loss than pay the staff their redundancy requirements. Remember that a lot of Irish bookie staff who once worked fer an independent bookie who were taken over by the English firms had their time kept on and their redundancy payouts could be around the 60K mark.

john m

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 07:44:11 am »
Ken there is a bit of fuckology going on as well .You might notice some PP shops are just PP others are PP.Com .Stewart owns some of the Properties Sports Entertainment or Whatever PP are registered as rent them off him .This might be an option for somebody to buy the shops with sitting tenents and let Stewart walk away .Im sure his Bet Aware project conflicts with PPs corporate money grab .Not great for business when one of the bigger partners is telling people not to bet .

But as you say the kerbside bookie is dead .I was In Powers beside the Pine Tree one Saturday at $ oc and I was the only punter in the shop .I remember Tom Floods in Neilstown 3000+dockets on a saturday was normal 5 counter hands 2 settlers and a boardman .

Offline Belker

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 07:52:29 am »
Back in the early part of this millennium we had a betting shop in Shandon street on Cork's northside. I at the time would have been assistant managing director of the betting company and an odds compiler, but I liked to 'Dirty my hands' regularly and most Saturday afternoons after a mornings odds compiling I would work in the Shandon street shop, with strict instructions to the shop manager (whom I trained as a youth); "You are the Boss, I'm the Hired Help, you call the shots", and that worked well fer many years.

Offline Belker

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2019, 07:53:49 am »
Suffice to say that in those years a customer would do well to get inside the door of the shop, in order to make it to the counter he would want to be well fit and able, the place was packed from early morning to closing time.
I reckon Shandon street set the all time record fer bets taken on One day on Grand National day in Circa 2004. 6,250 bets accepted on the day, the closest I ever remember to that was the same shop the year before with a Thousand less. It was close on 10pm that night before myself and the 5 other staff members wearily exited the building.

How things have changed ?
Today you have the shop to yourself and free coffee and biscuits !
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 07:56:31 am by Belker »

Offline Belker

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2019, 08:10:25 am »
Ken there is a bit of fuckology going on as well .You might notice some PP shops are just PP others are PP.Com .Stewart owns some of the Properties Sports Entertainment or Whatever PP are registered as rent them off him .This might be an option for somebody to buy the shops with sitting tenents and let Stewart walk away .Im sure his Bet Aware project conflicts with PPs corporate money grab .Not great for business when one of the bigger partners is telling people not to bet .
I'm long gone from the game John M, I don't follow it at all any more, it's a cut-throat game and I have no interest in it.

Offline Belker

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2019, 08:30:54 am »
But as you say the kerbside bookie is dead .I was In Powers beside the Pine Tree one Saturday at $ oc and I was the only punter in the shop .I remember Tom Floods in Neilstown 3000+dockets on a saturday was normal 5 counter hands 2 settlers and a boardman .
That is 8 staff ! We did in Circa 2004, 6000+ dockets one (sunny) Grand National day with only 6 staff !
I doubt that figure/record will ever be beaten.

Is Tom Flood still alive and Well ?
And is he still operating ?
I haven't seen or heard from the man in Twenty odd years but he was one of the few Gents of the game.
Young Terry was another Gent, but his uncle Terry Senior (RIP) was an arrogant imbecile.

john m

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2019, 08:45:44 am »
He sold out to Boyles  Havent heard of him or the Brother in years .Kilmartins ,Hacketts,Cecil Fines ,Terry Rogers were all property companies .They used the bookies takings to pay the mortgage .They were building property empires same as Mc Donalds Franchisees pay the Mortgages for the big burger selling property companies .Thats how you know Irish banks are fucked they sold off their branch networks to refinance their loanbooks .EVERTYHING is about property .Old publicans knew that always bought up a big lump of land for carparks even when nobody had cars to park .

Offline Belker

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2019, 08:59:59 am »
I remember looking fer 'Terry Rodgers' on the tinternet a few years back and seeing that they had gone online as '10' something or other ?  Do they still have any shops in Dublin ?

john m

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2019, 09:26:08 am »
I remember looking fer 'Terry Rodgers' on the tinternet a few years back and seeing that they had gone online as '10' something or other ?  Do they still have any shops in Dublin ?

Dont think So .Harry Barry kept one until Gay Byrnes Accountand dropped dead .Shop only dobe about 60 dockets a day but held 8or 10K

Show Unread Posts