Author Topic: Unemployment benefit  (Read 2235 times)

dalymount

Unemployment benefit
« on: November 11, 2019, 01:22:11 pm »
I see it's being widly advertised that self employed will now be entitled to unemployment benefit if they no longer have work. I don't know what the difference between U/B and U/A is, but I reckon I will be on it in a while

Offline Shallowhal

Re: Unemployment benefit
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 01:30:18 pm »
Ah Dalyer....sure hang in for the pension....you'll be there soon!!

dalymount

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 02:07:13 pm »
Im only going because I will not align, and as you know there is very little work out there for an independent

Offline stonethecrows

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 02:32:27 pm »
Im only going because I will not align, and as you know there is very little work out there for an independent
Wonder what would happen DM if you do, like would they revoke your licence while you are signing on ?
He who fears he will suffer, already suffers because he fears.

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 02:36:48 pm »
Wonder what would happen DM if you do, like would they revoke your licence while you are signing on ?

That did happen to a friend of mine who went off the rails....had to surrender his licence before giving him any UB.

dalymount

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 02:45:51 pm »
Ah of course I would hand up my licence right away, sure you cannot claim allowence if your working. What's the difference between unemployment benefit, and unemployment allowence . Is one means tested and the other is not ??

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 05:16:16 pm »
You can claim Jobseekers Allowance and drive a taxi. Most of the full time men did exactly that during the recession. In fact SIPTU TB advertised it when it was around. The difference between benefit and allowance is that allowance is long-term and means tested, benefit isn't means tested but is short-term.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2019, 05:56:08 pm »
https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_benefit_self_employed.en.html

Jobseeker's Benefit (Self-Employed)
Jobseeker’s Benefit (Self-Employed) (JBSE) is a weekly payment from the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection (DEASP) to people who lose their self-employment.

To qualify for Jobseeker’s Benefit (Self-Employed) you need:

At least 156 weeks of Class S contributions or at least 104 weeks of paid Class A or H PRSI since first starting work
52 weeks of Class S contributions paid in the relevant tax year. The relevant tax year is the second-last complete tax year before the year in which your claim is made. So, for claims made in 2019, the relevant tax year is 2017.
To get Jobseeker's Benefit (Self-Employed) you must stop all self-employment activity. However, you can work as an employee for up to 3 days each week and continue to get Jobseeker's Benefit (Self-Employed).

If you don't qualify for Jobseeker's Benefit (Self-Employed) you may qualify for Jobseeker's Allowance.

Jobseeker's Allowance
Jobseeker's Allowance (JA) is a weekly payment from DEASP to jobseeker's. To get Jobseeker’s Allowance you must be habitually resident and pass a means test. If you are self-employed, you may be entitled to Jobseeker's Allowance depending on your earnings from your business. You do not need to close your business or stop working as self-employed for you to get Jobseeker’s Allowance and you don't have to be unemployed for at least 4 out of 7 days, as for Jobseeker's Benefit. You will get Jobseeker’s Allowance if your income is below a certain level.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2019, 05:56:56 pm »
You're welcome, DM!

dalymount

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2019, 07:35:03 pm »
Thanks rat, that's very helpful

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2019, 08:51:21 pm »
Be careful anyone on a non contributory pension.
Lad I know has been called into the SW office to produce an
Annual printed receipt and record of his mileage.
He currently receives a weekly pension of €209.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2019, 06:37:55 pm »
Non contributory is means tested so that seems reasonable at first glance. However, as Korky was blue in the face trying to get through our thick skulls, the meter has been held not to be relevant in ascertaining takings/earnings. Welfare ought to be satisfied with his tax assessment, they could at least try to pretend that the left hand knows what the right hand is doing.

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2019, 11:05:33 pm »
Non contributory is means tested so that seems reasonable at first glance. However, as Korky was blue in the face trying to get through our thick skulls, the meter has been held not to be relevant in ascertaining takings/earnings. Welfare ought to be satisfied with his tax assessment, they could at least try to pretend that the left hand knows what the right hand is doing.
Anywaysanall he's going into the Fed and asking Joe Herron how to get SW off his back.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2019, 03:50:58 pm »
You'd imagine Joe would be greasing the right palms...

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2019, 04:55:48 pm »
You'd imagine Joe would be greasing the right palms...

Yeah....his fukin own!!

Show Unread Posts