Author Topic: BBC Click  (Read 12149 times)

john m

BBC Click
« on: November 16, 2019, 12:56:01 pm »
If you have the time get the programme from the BBC this week .Interesting item on UBER and how they distribute work using a Logoritm .I often wondered if they dealt out work based on keeping everybody engaged so not giving the job to the nearest car allows them to feed the pack and keep everybody satisfied .Be interesting to see how many of the Ambassadors jobs are Pre Booked against public offering .Thing about UBER is they are transparent unlike Free Now so how is work actually distributed by the apps ?I never ever ever see a Prebook from Lucan or Clondalkin or Tallaght to the Airport .

Offline Horse

Re: BBC Click
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 01:23:17 pm »
Does it not go on your status john? As in if your gold, like van driver, you get first look in. Next is the silvers, like ken, then the bronze and then the likes of me with no status. Not sure if an ambassador gold would get to see the prebooks before a regular gold, though it wouldn't surprise me. What about an ambassador with a bronze rating, would he still see prebooks before a regular gold driver? I don't bother much with it myself,  just if its really quite in town, I might scour the suburbs with the app on.

Offline Octavia1

• Ide rather be a poor master than a rich servant
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 01:34:16 pm »
Wen the recession hits hard ....the unfair work distribution is going to be a very contentious issue to say the least.....
I can see it getting  nasty indeed....
Ide rather be a poor master than a rich servant

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 01:54:07 pm »
They'll still be popping champagne and eating prawn sambos on Mount St....until the next boom!!

john m

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 01:54:37 pm »
Not a lot of people advertising for 58 year old fat lads but im looking to go back on the cards ,Listening to Our Leader going to spend BILLIONS on tech that will be out of date before the job is finished but the upside is Homeless people can check on line if there is a hostel bed available or if there are Doctors or nurses available to open the Hospital ward .Watching Corbyn in Britain he is going all Keep the Red Flag Flying unlike here all as in ALL the politics favours big business .City center is being ethnically cleansed Irish working class can no longer afford to live or rent in the City Center 3 month waiting list just to get a cancer scan unless you have Private Insurance .The Lower self employed working man like us loses all the time .Next crash will break most of us as we will be falling from a lower point

Offline Horse

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2019, 02:55:11 pm »
Jasus yis all keep moaning about the impending crash. What of it? We got through the last one and that was with 47000 taxis on the road and a recession that lasted 7 poxy years. There's probably only barely over half that now. Relax, deep breath, all will be good.  You may have to work a few more hours or chop and change a bit,  but you'll survive.  Less of the doom and gloom!

Offline Tony

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2019, 02:58:38 pm »
Jasus yis all keep moaning about the impending crash. What of it? We got through the last one and that was with 47000 taxis on the road and a recession that lasted 7 poxy years. There's probably only barely over half that now. Relax, deep breath, all will be good.  You may have to work a few more hours or chop and change a bit,  but you'll survive.  Less of the doom and gloom!

Agreed 98.5%
Mr. T-bag to you

Offline Horse

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2019, 03:00:23 pm »
What happened to the other 1.5% there T

Offline Tony

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2019, 03:06:11 pm »
Always reserve some for doubt
Mr. T-bag to you

john m

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2019, 03:09:15 pm »
Never 47000 taxis there were 47000 psv licences until it cost 250 to renew and you had to be linked to the vehicle so lads couldnt loan their car to mates or family to DO A BIT ..Wait till the new bus corridors come into play city will be fucked up.Dont think you are getting the picture Free Now controls the work (workcapture ) they will decide who gets work and who does not and at what price .Taxi industry is no longer made up of independent traders it is controled by the apps .

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2019, 03:13:57 pm »
Oi Horse.....let those who are happy in the the muck and mire carry on...i enjoy listening to how terrible things are!!

https://youtu.be/C9oiO6RVKrU

john m

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2019, 03:14:31 pm »
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-50418357  try watch the video

Increased competition has made a particular part of Uber's platform critical to Mr Hadi and his fellow drivers' earning power - the software that determines who gets each ride.

However, none of them knows how it works.

Offline Horse

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2019, 03:30:23 pm »
Never 47000 taxis there were 47000 psv licences until it cost 250 to renew and you had to be linked to the vehicle so lads couldnt loan their car to mates or family to DO A BIT ..Wait till the new bus corridors come into play city will be fucked up.Dont think you are getting the picture Free Now controls the work (workcapture ) they will decide who gets work and who does not and at what price .Taxi industry is no longer made up of independent traders it is controled by the apps .

Ok, 47000 psv licences.  A bit over half of that figure still equates to a lot lot less taxis on the road, particularly at weekends,  creaming the work. If the apps are gonna control the work in the future,  which does look likely, well you'll either have to play ball or think about doing something else, which as you pointed out, for a fat 58 year old theres not many opportunities.  My plan is to keep going as is as long as I'm getting my wages. When I'm not I'll have to lick ass to the apps, like every other taxi driver will have to. Sign of the times John.

Offline Octavia1

• Ide rather be a poor master than a rich servant
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2019, 03:40:22 pm »

The last recession killed off the numbers taxis ...that's the problem not the lack of work...

2013 I was flying Monday to Sunday....
Thers goin be plenty of casualties after getting loans again
Plus insurance etc gone way up ...
No harm in preparation for the worst....
Ide love a job in liddles but I'm unemployable on account of me volatile antisocial personality disorders I developed in the last recession imposed on me by the establishment.....

Ide rather be a poor master than a rich servant

john m

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2019, 03:44:14 pm »
Seriously horse and every other driver on here .Find the Podcast of this episode of Click.I told you all years ago but nobody listened .You wont believe the Data you gave them and you dont know what they will do with it .Lads sold out their jobs and industry for a Bobo .I predicted all this now my next prediction is you will be required to sign up to providing service at certain times to access Prebooked or HSE jobs and a lot of jobs will be fixed fare .Time to get a PAYE job and taxi freestyle .I never intended to drive a taxi for ever but like a lot of lads its addictive but I really cant see a full time single income wage out of it .Ten years before I retire cant see ten years income coming from this industry .Just my Opinion you make up your own mind s .

Show Unread Posts