Author Topic: Is it really that bad?  (Read 6371 times)

Offline Firewall

Is it really that bad?
« on: January 09, 2020, 12:55:58 am »
Nta want door stickers, and area stickers and no one bat's an eyelid, some taxi app increases commission by 3% and evryone loses their minds.

Offline Octavia1

• Ide rather be a poor master than a rich servant
Re: Is it really that bad?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 01:22:41 am »
Nta want door stickers, and area stickers and no one bat's an eyelid, some taxi app increases commission by 3% and evryone loses their minds.

Dont understand why you put this up  ....since the announcement of the increase it's been  debated ever since.....
Wat clarification of the viewpoint of the  members on taxi chat do you request  or enquire firewall?
Area stickers and door stickers are required under rules laid down by government appointed legislative bodies .....whereas 15 % commission increase of commission  charges enforced by a foreign multinational are open to debate and scrutiny  ???
Ide rather be a poor master than a rich servant

Offline Bob Shillin

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 01:44:41 am »
I batted both my eyelids billions of times, wrote to AK47 several times, went so far as to say I would never vote Labour again.
"So look into the mirror, do you recognise someone, is it who you always thought you would become, when you were young?"

dalymount

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 03:14:14 am »
I think the introduction if area stickers,and door stickers were seen as something thst was supposed to BENEFIT full time taxi drivers.door stickers we r introduced in the hope they would dissuade double jobbers from the industry,area stickers were supposed to dissuade drivers from operating in counties they were not licensed for,alas neither worked.double jobbers didnt give a damn if their neighbours knew or not,and other drivers are STILL invading counties they a are not licensed for particularly Dublin

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 09:26:05 am »
I know yis are all maths geniuses but this is important to understand the size of the increase.Even though RC posted it the details may have been forgotten or just overlooked.Bearing in mind the exact same thing was done after the last fare increase.

Using the example of 20k app work as year a low figure. Multiply by two or three where necessary for the hard workers..or four for VD.

20000 @ 12% commission is 2400
20000 after 4% rise is 20800
20800 after 15% commission 3180

A 780 increase over 2400 is a 32.5% increase.

The 3% rise doesn't show the full effect of the fare increase.Feel free to correct my schoolboy maths.So yes it is that bad.

The Liffey Lip

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 09:43:00 am »
It'll never happen....the commission increase. They're throwing it out there like the Dept of Finance does before the budget.

It's 15% in London...I've just been told.........apologies.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 09:46:37 am by The Liffey Lip »

The Liffey Lip

Offline Tony

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 09:50:09 am »
If everyone accepts the increase thinking it could be worser then wait till this time next year rodders, you'll be paying 20% or more
Mr. T-bag to you

The Liffey Lip

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2020, 09:54:29 am »
Trying to find out what it is in Germany. Didn't know they owned the Park Now franchise too.........and Share Now. Jesus, lads,,,,,,,they've money coming out their ears.

Your Now is the real name of all these subsidiaries. Getting cracking on that App lads.

Seems to be tied in with the Lufthansa Companion App. I know they have some alliance with the flight provider in Berlin and Hamburg.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 10:06:36 am by The Liffey Lip »

Offline Tony

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 10:04:12 am »
Trying to find out what it is in Germany. Didn't know they owned the Park Now franchise too.........and Share Now. Jesus, lads,,,,,,,they've money coming out their ears.

Rumour is thats its 6% in Germany, dunno how true that is
Mr. T-bag to you

The Liffey Lip

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2020, 10:07:56 am »
Think it might vary. They seem to work alongside Lufthansa...you fly with them and the rate is part of your fare...some loyalty yoke the drivers absorb as a hit.

Offline Firewall

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2020, 10:08:27 am »
The reason I put this up, was to highlight the fact that there is more of an issue of some multinational company increasing their commission charges, for an app that you can uninstall at any time. Drivers are not dependant on it, can work without it, or install another app with lower commission rate(however, I don’t think any other company can give as much work).

If drivers are naïve to think that FN weren’t going to increase their commission at some stage, then they signed up without doing some research first. All taxi app companies have increased charges, including FN outside of Ireland, so it was bound to happen at some stage.

While I mentioned area stickers, door stickers(and forgot to mention insurance), these are extra costs that the government/NTA has forced on drivers. Area stickers while a good idea on paper makes no difference at all, as you can have no area sticker on your roofsign and no one cares(except the regulator, who you might see you twice a year if you’re unlucky), and it’s still worth the fine if you get one.

Ask any driver if they like having stickers on their doors, and I bet everyone of them will say they hate them. While it might deter double-jobbers, the downside is that your car is a beacon to scumbag thieves. Take your roofsign off(when the car has no stickers), and it looks like every car on the road. Driving a taxi is nobody’s business except your own, but go to a funeral/wedding or dropping the kids to school, and you still have people coming up to you asking if your available.

dalymount

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2020, 10:14:55 am »
It done nothing to stop double jobbers,there are more double jobbers now,then ever before

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2020, 10:54:54 am »
Ya could be right, FW. For most drivers it's only an extra €200-€300 per month. If NTA told us to spend 2 and a half grand on card reading / processing technology we wouldn't bat an eye lid. If our insurance went up by 2 and a half grand a year we'd just pay it... what's all the fuss about?

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2020, 10:57:13 am »
It done nothing to stop double jobbers,there are more double jobbers now,then ever before

Commission based freight is great for part-timers and double jobbers... it's the full-time professionals that need the job to feed their families anall that are subsidising them with freight of up to €400/week. Jeez, I remember when you'd pay less to work for an Irish dispatch firm for a month and you could work as much or little as you wanted.

Show Unread Posts