Author Topic: Small talk with taxi drivers?  (Read 8306 times)

Offline mercenary for hire

Re: Small talk with taxi drivers?
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2020, 04:07:09 pm »
There must be some mad stuff being said to passengers out there.Me other half said earlier that two of the girls at the Christmas party were afraid to get a taxi home on their own.There was only six at the party.Dunno what the world is coming to.

john m

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2020, 04:14:23 pm »
Had a gentleman last night with two young Ladies from Croker to Davitts .He "Turn up the radio will ya .I replied no its loud enough he insisted I told him if he stayed quiet he could hear it .Got to Camden Street he tells me im a Cunt .I say no I was acting the Cunt because I can ,You on the other hand are a fucking Idiot in real life .Girls fell about laughing at the mouthpiece .

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2020, 04:15:33 pm »
Owlones that say to me.... " you must work out " and " are you single"? I talk to them alrite.....its bein a while but

That's all the desperate ones Octy!!

Offline Octavia1

• Ide rather be a poor master than a rich servant
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2020, 05:15:07 pm »
Owlones that say to me.... " you must work out " and " are you single"? I talk to them alrite.....its bein a while but

No ther not ...yur just jealous....few years ago I had to get tablets off the doctor cause I was bein stalked by hundreds of women's..
Ide rather be a poor master than a rich servant

Offline Tony

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2020, 05:30:57 pm »

No ther not ...yur just jealous....few years ago I had to get tablets off the doctor cause I was bein stalked by hundreds of women's..

Maybe they should have went to an opticians
Mr. T-bag to you

Offline Bob Shillin

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2020, 05:49:49 pm »
I'm looking for advice on small talk to make with taxi drivers. I'm very bad at small talk in general but I find that when I'm in a taxi it's the most noticeable. This probably seems like a silly question but it really embarrasses me how bad I am at it.

I've just gotten a job where my shifts finish at midnight and my walk home is in a rough area so I'll have to start taking at least two taxis a week very soon.

[links removed]

The only things I can ever think of saying are "how's your day been?" or "have you been busy today?", or some comment on the heatwave we're having. I always feel rude when I can't bring the conversation any further than this, so any tips would be greatly appreciated!
If you are not an interesting conversationalist, just sit in the back seat, then most driver's will have no problem with the silence, nothing worse than someone sitting in the front seat and not having anything interesting to say. If the driver is a talker he willl start the conversation even if you are in the back seat. Silence, if you are in the back seat, is usually a welcome relief for most drivers, as they may have been listening to inane comments all day. Don't venture your opinions on the taxi business, and if possible don't raise the subject at all. Current affairs will usually raise an opinion from drivers, but if you identify The Erm (John M), have patience, the trip will soon be over, and this too will pass. 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 05:53:51 pm by Bob Shillin »
"So look into the mirror, do you recognise someone, is it who you always thought you would become, when you were young?"

Offline watty

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2020, 05:51:13 pm »
I compare it to 'the confessional'.  Because all they can see is the back of your head, they think they're in the confession box and open up and tell you a lot of personal stuff.

My most memorable one was driving a young one from Summerhill out to Blanch.  Her boyfriend was in the navy and just back after a few weeks at sea.  The GF rode him senseless and told me the details.  I felt sorry for the guy!  That got us halfway to Blanch.  The second half involved a 'love triangle' of sorts between her, her father and a 'knacker' girl.  The father must have been a diabetic (or a drug addict) and he couldn't get it up.  So I think the daughter said she had to inject him in his penis (don't ask me why).  But the traveller girl thought he had money and was trying to get on his romantic side & maybe move in and get the house/flat.  The daughter wasn't happy naturally.  So there was loads of verbal/physical fights over the past weeks.  The daughter was a big girl too so I wouldn't like to end up on her bad side (or her good side either)

I don't think I said more than 3 words during the whole journey and I had to take a break after it to recover  O:-)

Anyways, at the OP; you have a right to a quiet journey so if you don't want to talk, you don't have to.  That's why we ask you an opening question about the weather or something trivial.  We don't care what you think - we're just seeing if you're a talker or not.  As someone else said, reading your phone is a good indicator as well. 

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2020, 05:52:05 pm »
but if you identify The Erm, have patience, the trip will soon be over, and this too will pass.

But it'll feel like a fukin eternity!!

Offline Octavia1

• Ide rather be a poor master than a rich servant
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2020, 07:12:41 pm »

Maybe they should have went to an opticians

Owl cnut
Ide rather be a poor master than a rich servant

Offline stonethecrows

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2020, 10:00:17 pm »

Were the tablets for the women ?
He who fears he will suffer, already suffers because he fears.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2020, 10:40:17 am »
Funny how a thread started as spam actually grew legs...

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2020, 11:52:49 am »
I thought it was spam alright by the way it was written....but I guess we've stopped caring and just used it to have a moan.

Offline stonethecrows

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2020, 12:47:37 pm »
Did you hear about the cannibal who switched to Spam?

He said it's the greatest thing since sliced Fred
He who fears he will suffer, already suffers because he fears.

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2020, 01:54:54 pm »
We bit alri.

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2020, 08:00:34 pm »
A girl once said to me " Every time you smile I feel like inviting you back to my place"
I said " Why, are you single?"

She said " No I'm a Dentist"!! 8)

Show Unread Posts