Author Topic: Return to work? 8th June? 29th June? 20th July?  (Read 24704 times)

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
Re: Return to work? 8th June? 29th June? 20th July?
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2020, 07:00:54 pm »
Not sure where you're getting that from, Watty. We are classed as essential workers so we haven't officially gone away... Thankfully, Vinny Kearns done a good job in convincing the powers that be that we should be entitled to COVID '19 dole. I doubt that will last forever though.

Offline watty

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2020, 07:48:54 pm »
Look at the graphic Bob Shillin posted and the dates 8th & 29th June.  (I'm getting my excuses in early) but it seems to me 29th June is the transition period when the 2m social distancing is relaxed a bit.  You and I have Octavia's.  The distance from me to my passengers is roughly 70cm (front) and 90cm (rear).   Until that 2m social distancing rule is relaxed, it could be argued I/we would be breaking Govt guidelines if we did choose to work, essential service or not.

Also, I think we both missed the first week or two of the emergency payment.  If I've done my maths right, *my* 12 weeks emergency payment runs out at the end of June anyways...  Could be karma?

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2020, 07:55:02 pm »
Unfortunately, they've already clarified that the 12 weeks is universal not personal i.e. it will end 12 weeks after it was introduced... although it may well be extended for non essential workers who are not permitted to return to work, possibly at a substantially reduced rate. Of course, nothing is set in stone so, conversely, it may be terminated earlier for workers like us who are permitted to work. Leo indicated that he will be passing on advice regarding face coverings where the physical distance aspect of social distancing cannot be maintained e.g. for public transport.

Offline watty

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2020, 08:04:43 pm »
Unfortunately, they've already clarified that the 12 weeks is universal not personal i.e. it will end 12 weeks after it was introduced...
Didn't realise that.  One can dream  :P  Having said that, what about the approx 4,000 airline workers who found out from Ryanair/Aer Lingus on International Workers Day that they were going to lose their jobs?  They won't accept the 'normal' ~€203 dole money.

Anyways, don't think I could have stuck it out until the end of June.  Was thinking mid-May myself for going back to work.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2020, 08:07:13 pm »
^ just to add insult to injury I found out that my initial application wasn't received or wasn't processed the day after they decided to stop backdating payments... although I was told I could go cap in hand to the local welfare office but decided against that as I assumed household income and/or bank accounts would be looked at in such circumstances. Not sure about that though... I often forget advice I got from an old boss when I was a young man... never assume the left hand knows what the right hand is doing, that's not how things work in Ireland and if it was there'd be no need for accountants or financial advisers....

I think the Ryanair / Are Lingus workers can claim the €350... unless they've altered the rules again?

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2020, 08:11:21 pm »
I'm (at least mentally) committed to idling till the end of May, at least. I'd stay off forever if they kept giving me 3 and a half a week. I rediscovered the fact that I'm not really cut out for work!

Offline watty

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2020, 08:31:23 pm »
I'm in two minds.  The 'free' money is great 'n all  but I can't help feeling they'll want some or all of it back once I stick in an proper application form. 

That's my main worry - that they'll ask for the grand or two back.  It'll be a triple whammy - no income for 2 months, a bill for the 'free' money, and maybe a problem then with getting tax clearance for my next Suitability...

Anyways, I'm off to watch a movie about the only survivor of a pandemic in New York.  Or maybe he's not the only survivor...

dalymount

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2020, 08:33:57 pm »
My situation is that I'll be 66 on 29th June , (if I live) and that is also the day state pension kicks in

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2020, 08:43:53 pm »
My situation is that I'll be 66 on 29th June , (if I live) and that is also the day state pension kicks in
See my Mainly Pensioners post.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2020, 08:53:44 pm »
Without spoiling it for those who may want to watch... did the survivor drink Dettol or inject Domestos, Watty?

I'm suffering Britains Got Talent right now but I'll watch Maze (again) - supported by your licence fee - later.

dalymount

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2020, 09:14:48 pm »
Yeah looking forward to it, what time is it at ?

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2020, 09:19:06 pm »
In 10 mins... RTE1.... or in 70 mins on RTE1+1, not to be confused with RTE2.

Offline Punter

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2020, 09:33:24 pm »
Speaking to a guy from one of the banks during the week--says the support staff working from home are screwing them,doing as little as possible !
He insisted he wanted his team back in office as all health and safety issues dealt with--union insisted requirement for danger money--press said similar about AIB !
See in States where beef processors are paying $1000 monthly bonus to anyone who works the full month--Larry Goodman--Bert Allen and their buddies  may have to do the same as cattle need killing --while EU is heading for beef/butter mountains--wine lakes --nobody demand for high end products !
Milk is being dumped while people starve as it cant be processed--this is not over by a long chalk !
Its going to need deft handling--just as weather not bad !

Offline Bob Shillin

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2020, 12:24:25 am »
Look at the graphic Bob Shillin posted and the dates 8th & 29th June.  (I'm getting my excuses in early) but it seems to me 29th June is the transition period when the 2m social distancing is relaxed a bit.  You and I have Octavia's.  The distance from me to my passengers is roughly 70cm (front) and 90cm (rear).   Until that 2m social distancing rule is relaxed, it could be argued I/we would be breaking Govt guidelines if we did choose to work, essential service or not.

Also, I think we both missed the first week or two of the emergency payment.  If I've done my maths right, *my* 12 weeks emergency payment runs out at the end of June anyways...  Could be karma?
I think that you are making the mistake of thinking that when the powers that be refer to "public transport" that taxis are even in their consciousness.
"So look into the mirror, do you recognise someone, is it who you always thought you would become, when you were young?"

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2020, 01:15:25 am »
I think that you are making the mistake of thinking that when the powers that be refer to "public transport" that taxis are even in their consciousness.

You're not wrong there Bob!!

Show Unread Posts