Author Topic: Safely returning to work.  (Read 9209 times)

Offline Belker

Safely returning to work.
« on: May 22, 2020, 01:22:19 am »
One of the first challenges we face is preparing for a return to work while complying with Safety in the Workplace guidelines.

I would appreciate a definitive plan and guidelines from the NTA and the Department of Transport on how best we can provide a service without breaching existing PSV Regulations e.g. “Refusing a fare” if 4 people walk up to a rank the driver cannot refuse them. Similarly if someone uses an app or phone booking and the taxi arrives to see 4 people. He currently can’t say, “I’m only carrying 2 and they must sit in the back.

We have a “Duty of Care” to our customers, drivers and staff and we need to communicate this clearly to all concerned.

Some drivers are fitting screens as a way to protect from sneeze and cough spray.

Many years back when we experienced a spurge of attacks on drivers screen were also fitted. As a result of injuries caused by the passenger making contact with the screen insurance companies reassessed liability based on interfering with the integrity of the interior design of the car and screens slowly disappeared.

I think there are some very well moulded screen designs that are not fixed by screws and hole drilling so maybe they might suit but I would prefer if they were approved by insurance underwriters.

I think it would be helpful if we could agree a number of positive actions that would encourage public usage of taxis and show that Drivers and Companies are proactive and not reactive.

Our industry will face a slow gradual resumption to work with a significant drop in revenue. We need to consider how companies could survive without government wage subsidy and also how drivers can survive without Covid19 payments.

We want a safe gradual planned return with all the best safety practises. We are sourcing high quality screens and car sanitisation products to play our part in a successful recovery but we need the NTA and the Department of Transport to guide and assist us in this challenge.

Offline Dr. Martin Gooter Bling

Re: Safely returning to work.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 02:03:32 am »
it's all a loada bollocks.

Offline Octavia1

• Ide rather be a poor master than a rich servant
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 07:12:45 am »
One of the first challenges we face is preparing for a return to work while complying with Safety in the Workplace guidelines.

I would appreciate a definitive plan and guidelines from the NTA and the Department of Transport on how best we can provide a service without breaching existing PSV Regulations e.g. “Refusing a fare” if 4 people walk up to a rank the driver cannot refuse them. Similarly if someone uses an app or phone booking and the taxi arrives to see 4 people. He currently can’t say, “I’m only carrying 2 and they must sit in the back.

We have a “Duty of Care” to our customers, drivers and staff and we need to communicate this clearly to all concerned.

Some drivers are fitting screens as a way to protect from sneeze and cough spray.

Many years back when we experienced a spurge of attacks on drivers screen were also fitted. As a result of injuries caused by the passenger making contact with the screen insurance companies reassessed liability based on interfering with the integrity of the interior design of the car and screens slowly disappeared.

I think there are some very well moulded screen designs that are not fixed by screws and hole drilling so maybe they might suit but I would prefer if they were approved by insurance underwriters.

I think it would be helpful if we could agree a number of positive actions that would encourage public usage of taxis and show that Drivers and Companies are proactive and not reactive.

Our industry will face a slow gradual resumption to work with a significant drop in revenue. We need to consider how companies could survive without government wage subsidy and also how drivers can survive without Covid19 payments.

We want a safe gradual planned return with all the best safety practises. We are sourcing high quality screens and car sanitisation products to play our part in a successful recovery but we need the NTA and the Department of Transport to guide and assist us in this challenge.

Is this more freenow bullshite ?
Who wrote that ken?
Ide rather be a poor master than a rich servant

Offline stonethecrows

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 08:08:53 am »
Nicely worded Ken, are you sending it to the proper authorities ?
He who fears he will suffer, already suffers because he fears.

dalymount

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 08:27:25 am »
Im wondering who wrote it.since there is a lot of emphasises on the survival of presumably (dispatch) companies,it would not surprise me if Kens pal (I better not mention his name ken sais he sue me ) had a hand in it

john m

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 08:35:52 am »
As Frankie says there is a reason some of ye drive taxies .Dont send fuck all to nobody ,leave well enough alone .On screens they already asked if we wanted them ,we said no they accepted that .Now I will tell you why they accepted that .When they done the engineering report to fit screens into Saloon Cars they discovered that 100% of the saloon fleet was unsuitable for screens if  they were to restrict size or for fitting as they could not advise any fixing that would not require interfering with the integrity of the structure of the vehicle .The only way to fit a screen was to make all vehicles WATs and place the bulkhead screen which would require an intercom .But feel free to keep beating this drum Im sure the taxithingey will give in to your demand.

I asked them about screens as I ALREADY KNEW THE ANSWER to the question .They told you basically the result of their engineers report  1.Use non shatter material Polycarbone not Glass or Perspects .2.Do not restrict the personal space below the standard .3.Do not obstruct the safety devices this includes the headrests .

Now I posted a pic of a screen I designed in line with these guidelines .It is compression fitted and held in place with elasticated fittings that will release in the event of any impact .It is also edged with foam to prevent injury to both passengers and myself .

I also contacted my insurance who informed me they would not object to a driver protecting themselves .Most van drivers panel the inside of their vans and insurance companies do not penalize them .

Now I believe I have met both the requirements laid down by the NTA for screens and in line with information I recieved from my insurers .

john m

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 08:40:48 am »
The above in simple engerlish .We cannot advise you on screens we can tell you what not to do .We looked at mandatory screens but none were available that would fit saloon cars as we have different types of cars and we could not be responsible for any damage done to vehicles by demanding that screens be affixed with rivets or screws .

Offline stonethecrows

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 08:46:38 am »
JM , agree and understand BUT if you use/work for FN/Lynk and don't have a screen your fcuked, your in the Q behind ambassadors and the Screeners.

Very little street work which means your also fcuked.

I don't like been fcuked.

john m

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 08:51:56 am »
That is a different Issue Crow .The original post was asking the taxithingey for direction AGAIN even though they couldnt be clearer .Dispatchers are getting Drivers to pay to fit screens so they can advertise that they have screens fitted .Personally I dont think it will matter much either way .If its safe to use a taxi people wont give a fuck about screens if its not safe they wont use taxies .

Offline stonethecrows

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2020, 09:02:45 am »
Just asked me 25 year old young one if she was ordering a FN taxi would she request one of the screeners and she said :

"Obviously Yeah"

john m

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2020, 09:06:12 am »
Just asked me 25 year old young one if she was ordering a FN taxi would she request one of the screeners and she said :

"Obviously Yeah"

So if you think it will bring in customers make one it will cost about a score or join me taxi get the screen then unjoin .Put it down as a business expense just like juice ,servicing or phone .Its really that simple .

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2020, 10:03:56 am »

"Obviously Yeah"

Your 25yr old would probably...in most cases...be younger than the driver,i think drivers who are generally in their 40's are more likely to catch the dizeezze from their younger passengers.....i'd say drivers are installing screens(that more than likely won't prevent them catching the virus) for their own safety....only Ken cares about his passengers!!

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2020, 10:26:43 am »
It's simple if you are in a fast crash in a saloon car with one of the wrong screens the rear passengers could be worse off.If the screen breaks it could be like having a huge blade in the car.

Stay at home, the virus is on the retreat.Dont be adding extra expense for everyone just because you're unable to live on the 350.

Why do ya need guidance from the NTA when the HSE is giving us guidance.The HSE trumps the NTA everytime.Stay at home and take the government money.It's really very easy.

Offline Octavia1

• Ide rather be a poor master than a rich servant
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2020, 10:41:48 am »
True merc ...but I taut this was a good job for future reference and not a fortune...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/270441333371213/permalink/972276849854321/
I wudnt put that free now blue peter abortion on me bike never mind me livlyhood
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 10:45:54 am by Octavia1 »
Ide rather be a poor master than a rich servant

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2020, 10:45:50 am »
I'll have a look at that later Octy they don't let you in to that Facebook group unless yer logged into Facebook.I never really use it and can't remember my password.

Show Unread Posts