Author Topic: the good news  (Read 9845 times)

Offline stonethecrows

Re: the good news
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2020, 01:25:05 pm »
My Nearly new 07 Avensis has 321,482 klms on it, needs a service and a clutch but apart from that its grand
He who fears he will suffer, already suffers because he fears.

dalymount

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2020, 01:32:17 pm »
No thats kms horse.I actually gave back most of a very large loan to the eircom cu recently.I had borrowed for a new car,and a load of home improvements.the reason I gave it back was,as I said in another post ,I just cannot see myself surviving in this game,because I wont give control of my business to a dispatcher.I also realize there is going to be little or no street work,but Id rather preserve my principles then let these people get control.I believe already Ebbs,and F/N between then have lumbered you with MORE expense with these screens.while the NTA may not make them compulsory,the fact that customers are much more likely to chose a taxi with a screen rather then one without one is going to be a big stumbling block for those opposed to them going forward

Offline Horse

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2020, 01:42:15 pm »
I understand that but the way I'm looking at it is you have to be adaptable now in this game. If that means sticking a plastic wall in me jammer so be it. Tbh I think I'd enjoy having one. No more listening to coke heads and pissed arseholes on a Saturday night.  One thing I won't do though is be a poxbassador.

Offline stonethecrows

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2020, 01:50:23 pm »
I understand that but the way I'm looking at it is you have to be adaptable now in this game. If that means sticking a plastic wall in me jammer so be it. Tbh I think I'd enjoy having one. No more listening to coke heads and pissed arseholes on a Saturday night.  One thing I won't do though is be a poxbassador.
+1 but it should be the correct one, no point in throwing good money away on an abortion of a screen

Offline sore

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2020, 01:57:38 pm »
I can also stick my avensis back on the road as they added another year to the life span of the cars

The extra year - is that official?

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2020/si/175/made/en/pdf

dalymount

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2020, 02:04:26 pm »
If you get a screen in to your car ( and good luck to you if that what you chose) it should be because you want it not because 2 dispatchers between them forced your hand,but look,as I said I cannot see myself surviving,but I wont starve .was talking to a few old former balladeers about getting something going.Ould Phil Mccafferty formally of the Dublin city ramblers lives on my road ,I might have a chat with him Patsy watchorn also formally of the Dublin city ramblers might be interested.patsy retired about 4 years agoi,and he lives in carlow now,so might not be interested anyway as I said I wont starve.funny enough auld Phils nickname is horse as well believe it or not

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2020, 02:23:07 pm »
If you get a screen in to your car ( and good luck to you if that what you chose) it should be because you want it not because 2 dispatchers between them forced your hand,but look,as I said I cannot see myself surviving,but I wont starve .was talking to a few old former balladeers about getting something going.Ould Phil Mccafferty formally of the Dublin city ramblers lives on my road ,I might have a chat with him Patsy watchorn also formally of the Dublin city ramblers might be interested.patsy retired about 4 years agoi,and he lives in carlow now,so might not be interested anyway as I said I wont starve.funny enough auld Phils nickname is horse as well believe it or not
Any relation to Ben Doon from Scotland?

Offline markmiwurdz

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2020, 03:04:13 pm »
I can also stick my avensis back on the road as they added another year to the life span of the cars

The extra year - is that official?

Was gonna ask that also....if they do i'll be enquiring as to the legality of only a certain number of licence holders being afforded this while others who will need to change their vehicles from Jan 1st 2021 can go fuk themselves.....it's the NTA we're dealing with here.

Yep,you're (I'm) shafted http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2020/si/175/made/en/pdf

I miss the free 3 months by one day and the free year by about 2 weeks so I feel your pain Hal.

Offline Theoneandonly

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2020, 03:24:25 pm »
Don't spend a cent unless you need to Daly.Had you bought a new car last year you'd be kicking yourself for having a really expensive garden ornament.

Depends why you buy the car, my wife is a health care worker and has never owned a car that somebody else has owned before her, and finds the idea repulsive, she drives about 5k a year and currently has a 201D reg Scala, My income doesn't extend to this level of expenditure but I buy the best I can afford, generally when my car is about 6 years old, I don't want to be dragging  the last cent out of a clapped out banger, i'd hate this job if that is what it was reduced to, I think of the car as "my car" and regardless of what job I did I'd buy the best I could afford.

john m

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2020, 03:39:31 pm »
My Nearly new 07 Avensis has 321,482 klms on it, needs a service and a clutch but apart from that its grand

Walkinstown gear and clutch behind the maxol in ballymount are cheap for clutch .

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2020, 03:42:50 pm »
Too many paragraphs..

For my situation I like to buy something a bit older and enjoy using it to it's final date as that seems to be the most economical way to be in business.

I could probably afford Lexus/BMW but I buy Toyota because the more expensive my business is to run the more work I have to do to earn a profit.

The driver in the new Lexus might not start making a profit unit late Tuesday or even Wednesday where the Toyota gyppo is in profit Monday afternoon.

Same debate we used to have about the Mercedes owners vs Prius owners.

Honestly when my car is clean you couldn't  tell it was a 2006.I think it only has about 180000 miles.I cover about 15/16k a year.

My oul fella used to say you don't own your car until you make the final payment to the bank.By then it's not worth a whole lot.

When I clear the mortgage I might splash out but it still seems like a waste of money.Being cheap has paid off especially during the current mess.

I bought my 2006 in 2013 to get it on the road before the 15-year deal vanished.Cost me 6k so I don't need to be working as much as others.I've had 5 years of taking it easy with no payments.Well worth it IMO.

Offline markmiwurdz

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2020, 03:47:19 pm »
Don't spend a cent unless you need to Daly.Had you bought a new car last year you'd be kicking yourself for having a really expensive garden ornament.

Depends why you buy the car, my wife is a health care worker and has never owned a car that somebody else has owned before her, and finds the idea repulsive, she drives about 5k a year and currently has a 201D reg Scala, My income doesn't extend to this level of expenditure but I buy the best I can afford, generally when my car is about 6 years old, I don't want to be dragging  the last cent out of a clapped out banger, i'd hate this job if that is what it was reduced to, I think of the car as "my car" and regardless of what job I did I'd buy the best I could afford.

There's more to life than your jammer Roy,depends on priorities I suppose..

Offline Horse

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2020, 03:48:37 pm »
My avensis is top of the range,  full leather interior,  cruise control,  built in hard drive, D4D 2 litre, same clutch still in it. Im forever getting compliments on how clean and comfortable it is which made it a shame I had to change it. At least now I don't.  It'll easy go for another year in the taxi game with hopefully minimal maintenance.  Thank fook.

Offline stonethecrows

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2020, 03:57:43 pm »

Walkinstown gear and clutch behind the maxol in ballymount are cheap for clutch .
Thanks JM will check him out.

Offline Theoneandonly

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2020, 03:58:07 pm »
Too many paragraphs..

For my situation I like to buy something a bit older and enjoy using it to it's final date as that seems to be the most economical way to be in business.

I could probably afford Lexus/BMW but I buy Toyota because the more expensive my business is to run the more work I have to do to earn a profit.

The driver in the new Lexus might not start making a profit unit late Tuesday or even Wednesday where the Toyota gyppo is in profit Monday afternoon.

Same debate we used to have about the Mercedes owners vs Prius owners.

Honestly when my car is clean you couldn't  tell it was a 2006.I think it only has about 180000 miles.I cover about 15/16k a year.

My oul fella used to say you don't own your car until you make the final payment to the bank.By then it's not worth a whole lot.

When I clear the mortgage I might splash out but it still seems like a waste of money.Being cheap has paid off especially during the current mess.

I bought my 2006 in 2013 to get it on the road before the 15-year deal vanished.Cost me 6k so I don't need to be working as much as others.I've had 5 years of taking it easy with no payments.Well worth it IMO.

Do you spend large on anything, music equipment maybe? furniture? do you count the hours you work before you can enjoy sitting in or listening to it, would you get no pleasure from driving a decent vehicle?particularly given the amount of time we spend in them

There's more to life than your jammer Roy,depends on priorities I suppose..

The life of a Taxi driver is spent largely in your jammer, might as well have something decent
There's more to life than profit

Show Unread Posts