Author Topic: the good news  (Read 9846 times)

Offline silverbullet

Re: the good news
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2020, 03:59:56 pm »
My Nearly new 07 Avensis has 321,482 klms on it, needs a service and a clutch but apart from that its grand

Walkinstown gear and clutch behind the maxol in ballymount are cheap for clutch .
Thanks JM will check him out.
I got a dual-mass flywheel for my old D4D T - Spirit, a fair swap I thought!

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2020, 04:12:54 pm »
^^^^Honestly there's no enjoyment to be had driving a car in Dublin.I just use it to get money to pay the bills.Navigate the traffic go home.They're all fairly mundane even the high end Skodas.I've drove a Skoda VRS recently and they're fast like a motorbike but not very different in regular driving to my humble Prius.

I was looking at the deregulation protests on Reeling in the years and the quality of the vehicles were still kinda shit back when the money was even better.My old Prius is still a better vehicle by miles compared to the smaller cars that taxi drivers had back then.

The biggest mistake this country made was putting the year on the registration plate.Lads trading in vehicles at massive cost to get the next model with different lights.Cars haven't really evolved a lot since the 70s.Put them up on a ramp and they all look the same underneath.

The more shit you buy the harder you have to work.

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2020, 04:32:11 pm »
^^^^Honestly there's no enjoyment to be had driving a car in Dublin.I just use it to get money to pay the bills.Navigate the traffic go home.They're all fairly mundane even the high end Skodas.I've drove a Skoda VRS recently and they're fast like a motorbike but not very different in regular driving to my humble Prius.

I was looking at the deregulation protests on Reeling in the years and the quality of the vehicles were still kinda shit back when the money was even better.My old Prius is still a better vehicle by miles compared to the smaller cars that taxi drivers had back then.

The biggest mistake this country made was putting the year on the registration plate.Lads trading in vehicles at massive cost to get the next model with different lights.Cars haven't really evolved a lot since the 70s.Put them up on a ramp and they all look the same underneath.

The more shit you buy the harder you have to work.

8)

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2020, 04:42:31 pm »
George makes a lot of sense.

A few years ago I moved from a bigger gaff to a smaller one in a more suitable location with less traffic and the amount of extra crap that you thought you needed but really don't.

Most of it is still in boxes in the shed heading for a skip someday..

Offline Panel

• Wanked out French panel van driving scum.
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2020, 05:39:49 pm »
I can see the benefits of a nice car vs a shitbox having taxied both.

I went to Merlin auctions in the height of a recession and bought a €450 Corona (diesel auto) that was worked up to September 2013, bar two fan belts breaking it was a very reliable machine. There used to be a running joke if I was asked if I had a good week to which I’d reply “I got the price of my car”.

Had 3 sonatas, they were a nice motor. The 1st one was a 2006 2.4 petrol one, very comfy machine most pax thought it was a Lexus, it didn’t generate any more of less work because of it.

I think if your going after a target audience (hotel, vip, executive clients) it really doesn’t pay to have a top end motor when the starting fare on your meter is all the same as the wanked out shitboxes

There’s also a Irish way of thinking that a taxi should be a top end motor, I went to NYC last year and I couldn’t get over the quality of taxis over there, filthy dirt, lots of body damage, cracked windscreens.

I’m driving a wanked out French panel van now cost me €8319.79c that will be on the road now until December 2027, I’m getting 9.5 years service out of it at a yearly cost of a vehicle of €875 and some change. 

Online watty

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2020, 07:21:17 pm »
Govt approves €6.8bn extra funding for social protection as spending limit nears (RTE)

The Government has signed off on €6.8 billion in extra funding for the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection, as it is due to reach this year's spending limit early next month.

A spokesperson for the minister said the additional funding does not represent a policy change.  The €350 weekly Pandemic Unemployment Payment is due to run for 12 weeks and will expire on 8 June.  Both the Taoiseach and Mr Donohoe have indicated that it will be extended in some form, but no decision has yet been made.  Opposition deputies have repeatedly called for the payment to be maintained at its current level.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2020, 07:26:00 pm »
What was on her when you got her, DM?

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2020, 07:28:46 pm »
From the OP:

The Cork Examiner, however, has been informed that:

Part-time workers including students who are “better off” on the payment will see a reduction in their payments

It is planned that anyone receiving the pandemic payment who turns down an offer of a return to work will become ineligible for it

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2020, 07:30:13 pm »
I guess a lot of us are better off on PUP.

Refusing to work because we're scared could be construed as turning down an offer to return to work.

I hope Vinny will continue to argue our case.

dalymount

« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2020, 07:31:25 pm »
I cant actually remember rat ,I think it was 27 k

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2020, 07:32:10 pm »
How long have you got her, DM?

dalymount

« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2020, 07:39:50 pm »
Horse you said your still on the original clutch how many kms ? ,im also still on the original clutch,and I ha e 342000 kms amazingly.I hope im not tempting fatih

Offline Horse

« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2020, 07:46:30 pm »
191000 miles dm which equates to around 307000 km. I wouldn't mind i work in town mostly so stop go stop go all the time. Occasionally I bring me ma down to tipp to my grand parents grave, every 7 or 8 weeks, round 180 miles round trip but other than that its barely getting out of 2nd in town. Best car I ever had.

dalymount

« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2020, 07:52:27 pm »
Yeah thats good alright.I seem to be pretty similar to yourself I work this kip a lot,but I go to Carrixkfergus a good bit ,and waterford as well.I think it does the car good to have a decent run now and again.before the virus I discovered a certain rank where I was getting a fair few country runs with not many taxis on it .that done the car good to

dalymount

« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2020, 07:56:39 pm »
Im not very machinaclly minded,but my mechanic told me some time ago,there is no real life span on the clutch,its more to do with the way you drive

Show Unread Posts