Author Topic: No go areas  (Read 3667 times)

john m

No go areas
« on: July 03, 2020, 07:18:59 am »
Get on yer bike or walk but cars and Taxi you can fuck right off.https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2020/0702/1151063-grafton-street-dublin-mobility/

The streets to be partly pedestrianised between 11am and 7pm for four weekends from 25 July are;

- Anne Street South from the junction of Dawson Street

- Duke Street from the junction of Dawson Street

- South William Street from the Brown Thomas car park exit to Chatham Row

- Drury Street from Fade Street to the Drury Street car park

- Dame Court from Exchequer Street

The changes were contained in an update to councillors on Covid Mobility measures which give extra priority and space to cyclists and pedestrians to allow for social distancing.

The report noted that 65% of the requests for these measures were coming from the Dublin 2 area consisting mainly of businesses around Grafton Street.

Meanwhile, traffic is still around 75% of pre-Covid levels.

Cycling is also at 75% for weekdays overall but morning peak cycling levels are still only a third of pre-Covid levels, while off-peak cycling volumes are 50% above.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 07:25:06 am by john m »

john m

Re: No go areas
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 07:24:08 am »
There has been a mixed reaction in the popular north Dublin town of Malahide after Fingal County Council pedestrianised New Street and removed some parking spaces.

As part of the 'Walk Bike Fingal initiative', the council pedestrianised New Street and the 32 Dublin Bus route has been diverted through Old Street, which has resulted in the loss of several parking spaces.

The Walk Bike Fingal initiative "seeks to encourage and facilitate social distancing for citizens going about their daily business", according to the council.

The pedestrianisation is currently being trialled for 10 weeks having been put in place in mid-June and will be reviewed by the council and local groups at the end of the trial period.

The initiative aims to bring a "European-style" feel to the village, with clothing stores encouraged to bring out their rails and restaurants to set up tables outside.

A resident of Old Street all her life, Mary Lynch (78) told the Herald she was advised to park her car at Malahide Castle, a 10-minute walk away.

"They gave us no notice and took seven parking spaces from us. Do you expect me at nearly 79 years of age to park my car at the castle and walk back when I want it?" she asked.

The council consulted with Malahide Chamber of Commerce, Shop Malahide, Malahide Tidy Towns and Malahide Community Forum prior to enacting the initiative.

However, Mary said that nobody "knocked on my door".

"Because we weren't in a residents' association, because we're all older on the street and didn't join, they didn't come near us."

Fingal County Council said residents can apply for parking permits and use parking bays: "Four age-friendly parking spaces have been provided and installed in the centre of the town."

Trish Bennet, who owns Kocoon ladies boutique on Strand Street, said her business has been affected by the removal of approximately 20 parking spaces on New Street.

"A lot of my clients would be mature and get either a lift or are dropped off to the shop, but there's nowhere for them to park now," said Trish.

"I can't see the logic in it and I feel it's had a devastating effect on businesses."

Success

Garry Duggan is chairman of the Malahide Community Forum and was consulted by Fingal County Council prior to the initiative being enacted.

"The initiative will only be made permanent if the trial is deemed a success," he said.

Patrick McNamara of Malahide Tidy Towns said of the pedestrianisation that there are "a lot of people for it and a lot of people against it".

"We're seeing similar pedestrianisation happening in Cork. During consultations, we were shown examples of similar initiatives in Utrecht in Holland.

"Fingal is a great council and does great work. It's a small village and people will be for it and against it."

Tony Gibney is one of the owners of Gibney's Pub and is also a resident on New Street.

"There was some consultation, but it doesn't appear to have been enough. A lot of people didn't know enough," he said.

He said that while bars and restaurants can set up tables outside, they cannot serve any alcohol outside.

"It's important for people to realise that...we can't sell intoxicating liquor on the street and that's what our licence is for.

"We need to work together and see how it goes and I would ask people to have an open mind."

A statement from the council said that an initial needs assessment was carried out to "temporarily repurpose Fingal streets, roads and public realm spaces" to keep in line with social and physical distancing requirements. The measures are being closely monitored and reviewed by council engineers and reviewed at intervals as the Government restrictions changed."

Offline watty

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 09:22:03 am »

- Drury Street from Fade Street to the Drury Street car park

Maybe I'm reading that wrong but is that maybe 10 feet of a distance?  And what about pick-up/drop-off at Brooks Hotel?

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 09:45:37 am »
Brooks is before the Fade street junction. Maybe it's to stop some of the taxis that are on a permanent loop around there at night time rubbernecking.

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2020, 10:05:24 am »
There's also a Drury St carpark at the top of Drury St on the left before you hit Exchequer St.

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2020, 10:14:55 am »
Maybe they'll turn the end of Drury street into a little cul de sac thingy so that that the car park can still be accessed.

It's probably 150 meters from Grafton street to Georges street the council will just expect folks to walk more.

Offline Theoneandonly

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2020, 10:55:06 am »
Fantastic news, should be much more popular now and we'll be bringing more people to and from the area

john m

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2020, 11:28:06 am »
So in the big picture a fella selling cups of tea is more important than a fella selling a taxi service .

Offline Theoneandonly

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2020, 11:33:35 am »
So in the big picture a fella selling cups of tea is more important than a fella selling a taxi service .

If nobodies out drinking coffee, Taxis have less business, we drive on the roads that are available, if some are set aside to increase our customer base , that's fantastic news

Offline Justin Time

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2020, 11:46:56 am »
I read years ago (cant remember the exact city or country)that whenever there are changes to road lay outs, traffic signals etc , they ask the very people who work the streets (no not those kind). ie taxi drivers/ truck drivers/bus drivers etc.

Here, its just a diktat,from Dublin city Council, no consultation with any of the above groups.

The cycle lobby in recent years have become very vocal and quite powerful.

Not only have they blocked streets, ILLEGALLY (Sth William St and Liffey St being a case in point ) but the Gards did nothing about it. In fact a then Green councillor (now TD) actively helped blocked both streets.

The cycle lobby want everyone to cycle, they have no regard for "real life".

I questioned one of the leaders of this lobby,when it was muted that College Green would be car free.
I asked him what about the 2 taxi ranks that are there, what about drivers trying to make a living.
His response was, and I quote, "I couldnt give s shit about taxi drivers".

and we're supposedly  (taxi drivers) the bad guys ????

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2020, 11:48:57 am »
I'd say we're part of the problem too.I couldn't believe it when I saw taxis forming a rank on Fade street a few years ago.They didn't even park they just stopped in middle of the road waiting for work and fuk anyone trying to get through behind them.The were immigrant drivers but that was probably just a coincidence.

Offline Theoneandonly

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2020, 11:51:36 am »
Liverpool's entire city centre was set aside for pedestrians and cyclists, Taxis are cleaning up at the exits as the centre is thriving all day and night

Offline Justin Time

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2020, 11:57:15 am »
I'd say we're part of the problem too.I couldn't believe it when I saw taxis forming a rank on Fade street a few years ago.They didn't even park they just stopped in middle of the road waiting for work and fuk anyone trying to get through behind them.The were immigrant drivers but that was probably just a coincidence.

Not being anti immigrant with the following, BUT the problem with non Irish who are working taxis is that they were obviously not told that your couldnt /cant ply for hire,by stopping  in the middle of the road or they are just ignoring the rules ? which is it?

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2020, 12:01:25 pm »
Most taxi drivers do not understand the regulations(even the spud munchers) or might come form places where there are no rules.There aren't enough cops on the ground to beat some common sense into them so they keep acting the bollox without any repercussions.Probably.

Offline Theoneandonly

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2020, 12:03:58 pm »
If you go to Lagos, or Mumbai or New Delhi or wherever you often find that there is a free for all where Taxis are concerned, I guess it's a learning process, part of the problem is a lack of enforcement here

Show Unread Posts