Author Topic: Cheap rentals are back.  (Read 14672 times)

Offline U Wha

Re: Cheap rentals are back.
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2020, 12:27:37 am »
There can be some horrendously large bills between 150k miles and 250k miles.
Still,if you can save on this deal,you might be able to cover them .
What's the plate rental after the 20 months?

Your are a 100% correct on the bills, It is a risk but no more than buying something simliar anywhere else.
I asked for a choice of vehicles and will bring a mechanic along to hopefully pick something decent.
After the Buy to rent is finished they will charge €25 a week for the plate rental. But if it all goes well only I hope to be paying that for max 12 months.
Might have enough saved for a 6 year old WAT by then with a grant (if it is still offered) and trade the old wheely in against it, what ever I get will be a bonus.

Offline U Wha

« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2020, 12:29:03 am »
Thanks for the insight u wha, I’m looking at it in the eyes of a owner operator not a renter paying extortionate rental prices. All the best with it

Thanks... nothing ever guaranteed. All we can do is get as much info as possible and try to make a good decision but lots of stuff we never see coming.

An accountant friend told me a story about a farmer. The farmer had a holding back around 2007. He was going to sell it and sought professional advice. After a hit of research he was told he would have a tax liability of around €200k on a holding worth about €2m or so. If he waited another 12 months that bill would only be around a €100k because of certain revenue allowances or whatever. His advisor said don't wait take the profit. The farmer decided not to and waited. About a year later the value of the land had crashed to around €1m. So bu trying to save a €100k down the road he lost over €900k in potential profit or sale value. A bird in the hand and a lesson that nothing is certain.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 12:47:06 am by U Wha »

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2020, 08:27:21 am »
Here gents I'll repeat myself, this is good advice I think..

Go to your bank and ask them for a COVID loan.The government is guaranteeing 80% of the debt so the banks have no reason to refuse you.If you've been paying rental prices before and during covid any bank official can see yis have ability to pay.Dont go spending 30/40k but 12k is all you need to get your own wheely and your own plate.Plenty of drivers dropping out so it's a good time to buy if you insist on working.

When I bought in during the start of the last crash I asked the bank for money for home improvements then I spent it on a plate and car.Surely you know people that can loan you money rather than paying much more with Ebbs or whoever.You will thank me later.When things turn to complete shit every hundred you have to hand out will take at least a day to earn after expenses.Think about that for a bit.Renting is a mugs game.As soon as it gets busier they'll up their prices.

Offline vandriver

« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2020, 08:50:45 am »
Maybe stupid question but here goes.....
Do you need to wait for a wav grant scheme to be announced to get a wav license,or can you get one anytime(just not with the few grand back).

dalymount

« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2020, 08:51:30 am »
Frank Fahey tried to ban the rental section some years ago,its a pity he didnt succeed

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2020, 08:54:28 am »
^^^^VD its just a grant, you don't actually have to apply for it.In previous years the grant allocation has been used up before year end so check with the NTA.It's always been renewed with more money.But who knows if that will be forever.Probably.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2020, 02:20:26 pm »
Anyone want to rent a plate... a ton a week, cash.

Offline sore

« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2020, 04:04:52 pm »
Maybe stupid question but here goes.....
Do you need to wait for a wav grant scheme to be announced to get a wav license,or can you get one anytime(just not with the few grand back).

you can apply for a wav license now but without grant as it is closed for this year. the grant normally re-opens in early january, but with covid  it may not happen next year.

Offline sore

« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2020, 04:06:59 pm »
Here gents I'll repeat myself, this is good advice I think..

Go to your bank and ask them for a COVID loan.The government is guaranteeing 80% of the debt so the banks have no reason to refuse you.If you've been paying rental prices before and during covid any bank official can see yis have ability to pay.Dont go spending 30/40k but 12k is all you need to get your own wheely and your own plate.Plenty of drivers dropping out so it's a good time to buy if you insist on working.

When I bought in during the start of the last crash I asked the bank for money for home improvements then I spent it on a plate and car.Surely you know people that can loan you money rather than paying much more with Ebbs or whoever.You will thank me later.When things turn to complete shit every hundred you have to hand out will take at least a day to earn after expenses.Think about that for a bit.Renting is a mugs game.As soon as it gets busier they'll up their prices.

Great advice there merc.

Offline sore

« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2020, 04:08:35 pm »

ffs rat, that is daylight robbery. the market rate is 50 per week.

Offline sore

« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2020, 04:13:55 pm »
There can be some horrendously large bills between 150k miles and 250k miles.
Still,if you can save on this deal,you might be able to cover them .
What's the plate rental after the 20 months?

Your are a 100% correct on the bills, It is a risk but no more than buying something simliar anywhere else.
I asked for a choice of vehicles and will bring a mechanic along to hopefully pick something decent.
After the Buy to rent is finished they will charge €25 a week for the plate rental. But if it all goes well only I hope to be paying that for max 12 months.
Might have enough saved for a 6 year old WAT by then with a grant (if it is still offered) and trade the old wheely in against it, what ever I get will be a bonus.

u wha, there are much better deals out there. i saw on deal deal a saloon plate for sale for 1500 from a retiring driver. all you need is buy a car younger
than ten years and you have a plate for life, although the plate will stay in his name it will yours with a legal agreement and can be transferred to your name if he dies before you!

https://www.donedeal.ie/adview/view/25909754

dalymount

« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2020, 04:29:04 pm »
I thought you could no longer sell your plate ?

Offline sore

« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2020, 04:36:53 pm »
there is a way of going around it with a legal agreement which says something like you are renting the plate for life for 1500, and upon your death you will bequeth it. i think rat has the template for that agreement, maybe he can share it here.

Offline stonethecrows

« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2020, 08:14:01 pm »
FFS I'd want food on it as well for that
He who fears he will suffer, already suffers because he fears.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2020, 08:55:31 pm »
ffs rat, that is daylight robbery. the market rate is 50 per week.

I'll do it for €80 for you... but don't tell anyone else.

Show Unread Posts